Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Head coaches do the hiring but AD's approve the hires. Jimmy Williams had too many skeletons in the closet to be approved by the AD. From there, the coach chose who he wanted again and the AD approved him. Basically, the coaches hires are subject to background checks of all kinds by the school.

I like pitino I really do. But if he does some how tank and gets canned, they absolutely need to hire musselman he already tried to get this job when pitino was hired and he can flat out coach and recruit. Minnesota can field a final four caliber team every year with its own in state talent.

Quote Originally Posted by gopherdiehard View Post
    I like pitino I really do. But if he does some how tank and gets canned, they absolutely need to hire musselman he already tried to get this job when pitino was hired and he can flat out coach and recruit. Minnesota can field a final four caliber team every year with its own in state talent.
    I like Pitino too. No AD is not going to say he isn't 100% behind all his coaches to start the season. Our AD even said Tracy was coming back near the end of the season... so depending what happens and ESPECIALLY if through the grapevine Coyle knows he can land Musselman and have his own guy....that scenario seems pretty plausible if we falter, Hurt goes elsewhere (not getting fired if Hurt signs) and Musselman does want to follow his dad and come here.

All the talk is Nevada is going undefeated into the NCAA Tournament, no matter what, he'll be lots of people's first choice as their next coach. And, Eric is the energy equal to PJ...non stop social media motivation posts.
    Last edited by 60's Guy; 12-16-2018 at 02:36 AM.

I wonder how likely it would be to get Musselman...I could see him using his success at Nevada to springboard back to the NBA. I know of another Minnesota basketball team that may be looking for a head coach too...

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    I like Pitino too. No AD is not going to say he isn't 100% behind all his coaches to start the season. Our AD even said Tracy was coming back near the end of the season... so depending what happens and ESPECIALLY if through the grapevine Coyle knows he can land Musselman and have his own guy....that scenario seems pretty plausible if we falter, Hurt goes elsewhere (not getting fired if Hurt signs) and Musselman does want to follow his dad and come here.

All the talk is Nevada is going undefeated into the NCAA Tournament, no matter what, he'll be lots of people's first choice as their next coach. And, Eric is the energy equal to PJ...non stop social media motivation posts.
    I agree with this. What seems to be true, though, is that 1) some posters are pretty much to the point of cheering for Pitino's failure and, 2) as you wrote, there is no guarantee at all that we will get Musselman or someone of his ilk.

Why not hope for a great gopher season and for recruiting to pick up as well? How much fun can it be to watch games hoping we lose? Of course, if things go south then that would be the time to consider other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimey Grimes View Post
    I wonder how likely it would be to get Musselman...I could see him using his success at Nevada to springboard back to the NBA. I know of another Minnesota basketball team that may be looking for a head coach too...
    I think this would be the thing. What are the odds we are the #1 job next spring (if it was available)? Because I’d have to imagine he will be very near the top of a great many coaching search lists

Quote Originally Posted by ltf View Post
    I agree with this. What seems to be true, though, is that 1) some posters are pretty much to the point of cheering for Pitino's failure and, 2) as you wrote, there is no guarantee at all that we will get Musselman or someone of his ilk.

Why not hope for a great gopher season and for recruiting to pick up as well? How much fun can it be to watch games hoping we lose? Of course, if things go south then that would be the time to consider other options.
    This.

I don't think I have seen anyone cheering for Pitino's failure. I've seen plenty of people say that he has had a very bad first five years (this group includes me, and I think it is tough to argue with) and plenty of people who based on those first five years do not think this year or future years will go well (even though it seems like that is a reasonable prediction based on his first five years, this group actually does not include me). But I think all (or virtually all, there are always a few trolls on a message board) of the posters here would love to see us contend for a B1G title this year, play into the second weekend of the tourney, and begin a run of Bo Ryan or Tom Izzo level success at Minnesota under Pitino.

Quote Originally Posted by Block M View Post
    1) The reality is that top recruits will never come to Minnesota consistently. Never have, never will.

2) The other honest reality is that Minnesota has never had a consistently winning program while playing within the lanes of NCAA rules.

3) Sorry friends, MN is a hard place to win at. Pitino is our best hope to win and win in the right way, IMO.

4) As for identity--who cares? Just win!

Responses:

1) That's probably true but we are not unique in that respect. If Wisconsin didn't have the Ryan years, what would Wisconsin have over Minnesota? What does Iowa have over Minnesota? What does Iowa State have over Minnesota? All three of those programs have been more successful than us during the Pitino years. The University of Utah had three consecutive first round draft picks from 2016-2018. I don't think it was the quality of skiing or strength of Mormonism that attracted them. What all of those programs had were men who were some combination of better coaches, player developers, or recruiters. As far as recruiting, Pitino has multiple handicaps that are personal rather than institutional: he doesn't have much of a record of success (or a very long record period), he doesn't have a record of developing players to the extent that they are getting pro attention, and he never played the game at a high level himself.

2) Well, I don't think cheating is the answer although Minnesota because of its prior high profile scandal may enforce higher standards than most.

4) "Identity" isn't the most descriptive word. The questions are "What are your strengths?" or "What characteristics do you want to focus on and develop?" If you don't know that, then you have a difficult time focusing on anything in particular. It's better to do a smaller set of things very well than a larger set of things not-so-well and that isn't just true in sports.

3) Really? Of all the coaches in the nation Pitino is our only hope? You can't possibly believe that.

Did you ever see the movie Major League II? Randy Quaid played a loud-mouthed and die-hard but pessimistic fan. As the team was heating up and seemingly emerging from its losing ways, he kept saying "They'll blow it. They always do."

Having a bit of that attitude about Pitino's teams is understandable. His teams took a dive in three of his previous five years. Even if this year's teams turns out OK, it's natural to have a nagging suspicion that next year will be another dive year. Maybe the year after that will be pretty good and the year after that will be another disappointing year. He has yet to have two good, or even satisfactory, years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    If that's true, why wouldn't you pull the trigger and move on after this year? If you can see that we're on the decline in recruiting, why wait for the inevitable ? It's the same reason we moved on from Tubby when we did. It's not that getting to the 2nd round of the NCAA's is unacceptable. It's that it was pretty clear that was the peak and it was going to go downhill from there.
    Agreed. I have said on multiple occasions that I don't think Pitino has to make the NCAA tournament this year but he really should make at least the NIT and make some noise in that tournament. If the team squeaks into the NIT with an 18-15 record and only wins a game or so, then ----

1) the body of work after 6 years isn't enough to continue his tenure; AND

2) the excuse of a very promising set of new recruits coming in next year isn't there to overcome the presumption of #1 above.

If we don't do well enough this year, this is likely the optimal time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    Did you ever see the movie Major League II? Randy Quaid played a loud-mouthed and die-hard but pessimistic fan. As the team was heating up and seemingly emerging from its losing ways, he kept saying "They'll blow it. They always do."

Having a bit of that attitude about Pitino's teams is understandable. His teams took a dive in three of his previous five years. Even if this year's teams turns out OK, it's natural to have a nagging suspicion that next year will be another dive year. Maybe the year after that will be pretty good and the year after that will be another disappointing year. He has yet to have two good, or even satisfactory, years in a row.
    Have no issues with having and expressing concerns. Have them myself. Just have to wonder when somehow Pitino is not given credit for 2016-2017, for example. Another example, the tenor of anger expressed during the first part of the Nebraska game by some posters compared to their reaction to the comeback.

To me, evidence of posts indicates that cetain posters are cheering for Pitino's failure. To be honest, I actually dont have a great problem with this if they are convinced Pitino wont succeed long term, would just ask that they would be fair minded enuf to acknowledge his successes and open minded enuf to allow for the chance that he might succeed.

Have no issues with having and expressing concerns. Have them myself. Just have to wonder when somehow Pitino is not given credit for 2016-2017, for example. Another example, the tenor of anger expressed during the first part of the Nebraska game by some posters compared to their reaction to the comeback.
    I don't know why anyone wouldn't acknowledge that 2016-17 was a very good (even a bit remarkable) year for the team and coach. I see more of the opposite tendency: those who look at that year, overweight it considerably, and say that year is the measure of this coach's ability. That's like calling a student with semester grades of A, B, C, D, and D an "A" student.

The relative quiet during the second half of the Nebraska game was indicative of the game getting interesting and, consequently, much more of an attraction to watch than write about. I don't know why so many forget Occam's razor: the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    I don't know why anyone wouldn't acknowledge that 2016-17 was a very good (even a bit remarkable) year for the team and coach. I see more of the opposite tendency: those who look at that year, overweight it considerably, and say that year is the measure of this coach's ability. That's like calling a student with semester grades of A, B, C, D, and D an "A" student.

The relative quiet during the second half of the Nebraska game was indicative of the game getting interesting and, consequently, much more of an attraction to watch than write about. I don't know why so many forget Occam's razor: the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
    Not sure I can agree with your thoughts regarding the Nebraska game.

Also, we will no doubt disagree as I give Pitino credit for having last season poised for success until all the player games lost. I see this as potentially being the third year of an upward trajectory. Think that is fair. Now I think it is up to Pitino to maintain that trajectory and that is where the story will be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    I've been clear and consistent on this, but I'm happy to repeat. If you're going to stick with him this long, this is the least logical year to cut bait with him in my opinion. You just lost one of the most productive guards in program history, and you're relying heavily on freshmen. Growing pains this year should not be a firing offense. I'd have gone a different way prior to this based on Pitino not having lived up to the hopes the previous administration had when they brought him in. No 5-star recruits in the most productive talent-producing era in state history, a 35% conference winning percentage, and only one NCAA appearance in 5 years. Norwood hired him hoping he'd either be a recruiting whiz or the next Shaka Smart or both. He has been neither. In contrast, although it's too early to project Lindsay Whalen as a hall-of-fame coach, she's immediately got that team 1) playing great defense, 2) exhibiting a consistent identity on both sides of the ball, and 3) understanding their roles and playing to their strengths. Those are the hallmarks of a great coach.
    Relying heavily on freshman? You sound like he is desperate. I happen to like the two freshman starters and want to believe he is relying on them because they are good and not because of his view of the rest of his talent pool. He doesn’t need to start them because he has a ‘weak’ roster but he needs to start them because they deserve to start. This is my tell that he is advancing forward as a coach. Perhaps Hurt sees it this way as well.