Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 114
  1. #1

    Default Doogie talks Pitino fate, interesting Matthew Hurt analysis, skeptical of 2020

    Doogie was on with Judd and PMac yesterday (h/t EG#9 for the heads up on this) and Doogie dropped some interesting tid-bits:

    - Doogie started off the Gopher talk transitioning from Wolves/Hoiberg talk and threw out the question of whether there is a better chance of Hoiberg coaching the Gophers or the Wolves.

    - Judd said that in talking to Chip, that in Chip's discussions with Mark Coyle that Pitino is in "zero jeopardy" of losing his job.

    - Doogie said "right now, today" he agrees he's not in jeopardy but "let's see how the season plays out"

    - Doogie started talking about recruiting, said lot of swing and misses, and said that in 2016 Minnesota got "lucky with Amir" and reiterated a point that Doogie has probably said at least 20 times that if Hoiberg had stayed at ISU that Amir was going there. "You got lucky but you still got Amir Coffey."

    - Doogie gave credit to the 2018 class of Oturu/Omersa/Klascheuer, but he has "swung and missed on a ton of 2019 kids and he will swing and miss on Matthew Hurt."

    - Doogie said: "I am not dismissing the idea that Matthew Hurt will ever play for the Gophers or that he will play for the Gophers next year, but I am pretty much dismissing the idea that Matthew Hurt will play for Richard Pitino. I'm just saying, we all like Richard Pitino in this room, we all know him pretty well personally, I like him. I'd have a beer with Richard any day of the week. I really enjoy his company, and hey it's my Alma Mater so I can have a bias, but for Richard's sake as I like him personally, I hope he ends up with 11 Big Ten wins, wins an NCAA Tournament game and is the coach next year, I really do. I hope that, but I'm looking at it logically and seeing the Big Ten is going to be a grind, getting to 10 victories in the Big Ten is going to be tough...if you make the Tournament and you are 1 and done, would Coyle look at someone like Eric Mussleman or Fred Hoiberg. I'm just saying, it's worth watching."

    - Doogie said you look at some of the 2020 kids, "Walton from Hopkins, Suggs, Dainja, Carlson, Garcia, do I like Pitino's chances to get 2 of those guys? No, maybe 1, but I don't like his chances to get 2. You gotta get some of these local kids, you really do."

    http://www.1500espn.com/mackey-judd-ondemand/

    Go Gophers!!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Savage, MN
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Doogie: "I'm a sensitive prick and know next to nothing but I enjoy hearing myself talk and like to backpedal as I am often wrong".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    14,565

    Default

    I think there's a way to triangulate what we're getting between Chip and Doogie, and I think it's coherent and makes sense - and more or less jibes with what I've been thinking myself. I do agree with Chip that Richard's safe this year, barring an inexplicable collapse, even if they don't make the NCAAs. That said, his major crisis comes later. It's not hard to see the storm clouds on the horizon considering how poorly recruiting seems to be going for 2019 and 2020. I don't see a long-term improvement in the offing over the 35% conference winning percentage to date, and that shouldn't be considered acceptable at the U.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    I think there's a way to triangulate what we're getting between Chip and Doogie, and I think it's coherent and makes sense - and more or less jibes with what I've been thinking myself. I do agree with Chip that Richard's safe this year, barring an inexplicable collapse, even if they don't make the NCAAs. That said, his major crisis comes later. It's not hard to see the storm clouds on the horizon considering how poorly recruiting seems to be going for 2019 and 2020. I don't see a long-term improvement in the offing over the 35% conference winning percentage to date, and that shouldn't be considered acceptable at the U.
    For one, I dont believe anything Doogie says.

    For two, yes BG, this poor recruiting will catch up to Pitino soon unless he turns it around soon. Hurt would help. Also, 2020 may be better because the assistants will finally have some footing here.

  5. #5

    Default

    My thing with 2020 is that we have two brand new staff members who are involved in recruiting. 2020 should look gloomy because those guys are rebuilding relationships that they had previously with Ben and Kimani. Sadly we won't have a good indication until after this year. If we win games, that'll help, if we don't time to move on. I'm not so sure Musselman would even come here though. I think he'd hold out for UCLA or USC honestly and would prefer to stay out west. Hoiberg would be a maybe, but not a slam dunk either and he may want to wait and see what happens at the Wolves. EIther way Doogie gets bites for stirring up the pot and that's all he's doing here.

  6. #6

    Default Doogie talks Pitino fate, interesting Matthew Hurt analysis, skeptical of 2020

    With regards to Pitino’s job status Doggie didn’t say anything new. GHolers have posted the same take and could’ve gone on with Judd & PMac and said the same thing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Default

    If Doogie doesn't think Hurt is coming here then I like our chance even more.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    I think there's a way to triangulate what we're getting between Chip and Doogie, and I think it's coherent and makes sense - and more or less jibes with what I've been thinking myself. I do agree with Chip that Richard's safe this year, barring an inexplicable collapse, even if they don't make the NCAAs. That said, his major crisis comes later. It's not hard to see the storm clouds on the horizon considering how poorly recruiting seems to be going for 2019 and 2020. I don't see a long-term improvement in the offing over the 35% conference winning percentage to date, and that shouldn't be considered acceptable at the U.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Why did you include 2020? Exactly 5% of the top 100 players in 2020 are committed somewhere. Are we doing poorly in 2025 since we don't have a commit for that class either?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    My thing with 2020 is that we have two brand new staff members who are involved in recruiting. 2020 should look gloomy because those guys are rebuilding relationships that they had previously with Ben and Kimani. Sadly we won't have a good indication until after this year. If we win games, that'll help, if we don't time to move on. I'm not so sure Musselman would even come here though. I think he'd hold out for UCLA or USC honestly and would prefer to stay out west. Hoiberg would be a maybe, but not a slam dunk either and he may want to wait and see what happens at the Wolves. EIther way Doogie gets bites for stirring up the pot and that's all he's doing here.
    That's the case for most teams. We aren't close to the point of judging recruiting for our 2020 class.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. Why did you include 2020? Exactly 5% of the top 100 players in 2020 are committed somewhere. Are we doing poorly in 2025 since we don't have a commit for that class either?
    2019 is bad, I agree liots of time to catch up for 2020, still one aau season for those kids, has to be successful on the court though.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    That's the case for most teams. We aren't close to the point of judging recruiting for our 2020 class.
    Not to mention we've already gotten two official visits from out of state 4-star recruits for 2020.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    14,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. Why did you include 2020? Exactly 5% of the top 100 players in 2020 are committed somewhere. Are we doing poorly in 2025 since we don't have a commit for that class either?
    True, and well put.

    That said, if Whalen is looking for a shooter in 2021, my niece isn't locked up yet.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jovs View Post
    2019 is bad, I agree liots of time to catch up for 2020, still one aau season for those kids, has to be successful on the court though.
    Yup, a good year this year and 2020 recruiting should be just fine with the potential to be very good given our instate talent.

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm less interested in what I see on the recruiting trail, and more interest in what I see in terms of big ten record, NCAA tourney appearances, and NCAA tourney wins. 6 years in, we need to be winning on the hardwood, not on rivals.com.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    14,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    I'm less interested in what I see on the recruiting trail, and more interest in what I see in terms of big ten record, NCAA tourney appearances, and NCAA tourney wins. 6 years in, we need to be winning on the hardwood, not on rivals.com.
    Those things are interrelated, of course. Nothing hurts recruiting worse than recruits noticing that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of winning going on. That's how Monson self-admittedly lost momentum.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •