Viramontes resurfaces

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

If my math is correct, this is Vic's 6th school he's has pledged allegiance to: Michigan, Cal, Riverside CC, Minnesota, Riverside CC and now UNLV.

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Anyone know how to sew? Someone ought to make Vic a quilt of his commitment posts.

Wow, led the team in tackles. I think thats pretty impressive for a guy who probably hasn't played defense in 3 or 4 years

If my math is correct, this is Vic's 6th school he's has pledged allegiance to: Michigan, Cal, Riverside CC, Minnesota, Riverside CC and now UNLV.

Go Gophers!!

At least he's not afraid of commitment. :rolleyes:

JTG

He had a lot of offers from bigger-time programs and SEC schools. Suprised he decided on UNLV. But, at least the Uhaul drive back and moving pains will be a little less if he decides to transfer from UNLV to somewhere closer to home.

He's been around the block enough times to know that, as a JUCO, you should care more about immediate playing time and less about how prestigious the program is. If he has aspirations to make it in the NFL (and they all do), he needs tape, and UNLV can give that to him.

He picked up a lot of good offers too after just one year playing the position. Surprised he's going to UNLV.

Story in the Sun said it was because of a coach.

A photo from four years ago helped the UNLV football program land one of its most notable recruits in the five-year Tony Sanchez coaching era.

Riverside City College linebacker Vic Viramontes, a three-star recruit who reportedly also has scholarship offers from TCU, Baylor, Nebraska and Boise State, verbally committed to the Rebels on Thursday. The 6-foot-1, 235 pound Viramontes had 66 tackles in 2018 at Riverside College, and is expected to be a key contributor on the Rebels defense moving forward.

It is arguably Sanchez’s most significant get on the recruiting trail outside of quarterback Armani Rogers, a former four-star recruit from 2015 who is the Rebels’ most important offensive player.
So, how did Rebel coaches sell Viramontes on becoming a Rebel? It started with a photo of Viramontes with assistants Cedric Cormier and Ron O’Dell, he told Inside The Rebels. The photo, in which Viramontes is holding a UNLV helmet, was taken when he was on an unofficial visit to UNLV as a high school player, he told the site.

Sanchez saved the photo and sent it to him this month with a message: “It’s time to be a REBEL, VEGAS VIC!!,” the site reported.

Viramontes asked Sanchez during the recruiting process why he keep the photo all these years.

“Coach Sanchez looked me dead in my eyes and said, ‘I knew you were a special player and person four years ago, that’s one of the reasons why we recruited you then. I’ve kept the picture because I know you are going to do great things,” Viramontes told Inside The Rebels.

“That gave me goose bumps and it hit home, I felt a genuine love from Coach Sanchez..

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/dec/14/why-a-heavily-coveted-lb-picked-unlv-over-tcu-bayl/

A photo from four years ago helped the UNLV football program land one of its most notable recruits in the five-year Tony Sanchez coaching era.

Riverside City College linebacker Vic Viramontes, a three-star recruit who reportedly also has scholarship offers from TCU, Baylor, Nebraska and Boise State, verbally committed to the Rebels on Thursday. The 6-foot-1, 235 pound Viramontes had 66 tackles in 2018 at Riverside College, and is expected to be a key contributor on the Rebels defense moving forward.

It is arguably Sanchez’s most significant get on the recruiting trail outside of quarterback Armani Rogers, a former four-star recruit from 2015 who is the Rebels’ most important offensive player.
So, how did Rebel coaches sell Viramontes on becoming a Rebel? It started with a photo of Viramontes with assistants Cedric Cormier and Ron O’Dell, he told Inside The Rebels. The photo, in which Viramontes is holding a UNLV helmet, was taken when he was on an unofficial visit to UNLV as a high school player, he told the site.

Sanchez saved the photo and sent it to him this month with a message: “It’s time to be a REBEL, VEGAS VIC!!,” the site reported.

Viramontes asked Sanchez during the recruiting process why he keep the photo all these years.

“Coach Sanchez looked me dead in my eyes and said, ‘I knew you were a special player and person four years ago, that’s one of the reasons why we recruited you then. I’ve kept the picture because I know you are going to do great things,” Viramontes told Inside The Rebels.

“That gave me goose bumps and it hit home, I felt a genuine love from Coach Sanchez..

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/dec/14/why-a-heavily-coveted-lb-picked-unlv-over-tcu-bayl/

That's next level recruiting by the coach! Hope Vic has great success at UNLV.

That's really cool. Good for him for going with his gut.

Top Bottom