Report: P.J. Fleck receives one-year contract extension

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Gophers head football coach P.J. Fleck will receive a one-year contract extension through the 2023 season, a source told the Pioneer Press on Thursday.

According to the report, an announcement is expected to be made Friday and will need approval from the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents at an upcoming meeting. Fleck’s deal now covers the next five seasons and will expire in January 2024. He received a similar one-year extension during the 2017 season. Fleck's annual salary started at $3.5 million when he signed his initial five-year, $18 million contract.

This is a common philosophy and recent trend in college football. Football programs want to have coaches under contract for the duration of an incoming recruiting cycle. P.J. Fleck was extended during every offseason at Western Michigan and it's clear this is a selling point for recruits. The security of knowing a coach will be under contract is something many families and players like to hear.

Link to Andy Greder's original report: https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/13/gophers-football-coach-p-j-fleck-receives-contract-extension/

Last edited:

More important is does the buyout change or reset. That’s really all it ends up being if the guy needs to be let go

January, 2024 it expires. I only hope to see the following by then: The sixth year Minnesota has retained the axe. The fifth year Minnesota has retained Floyd. Do we play Michigan over that time period? If we do, the retention of the Little Brown Jug. That we beat Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois five straight years. Did I miss anything, please advise.

January, 2024 it expires. I only hope to see the following by then: The sixth year Minnesota has retained the axe. The fifth year Minnesota has retained Floyd. Do we play Michigan over that time period? If we do, the retention of the Little Brown Jug. That we beat Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois five straight years. Did I miss anything, please advise.

Back to back nattys and a heisman trophy winning qb plus multiple drafted wrs

It's cute how recruits and fans think the length of the coach's contract means anything. Only person it matters for is Fleck if he gets fired and bought out, or quits and has to pay a buyout.

It's cute how recruits and fans think the length of the coach's contract means anything. Only person it matters for is Fleck if he gets fired and bought out, or quits and has to pay a buyout.

You got that right.

Top Bottom