Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck receives contract extension - Twincities.com

Congrats to PJ! Hope to have you captaining the boat for years to come!

I would never want a coach anywhere near the end of his contract without an extension, how does a guy recruit or keep coaches like that?

So the only question for me is:

Is this guy worth rolling with to see where it goes?

Yeah I think it is, so yeah keep it going.

Here's the official press release from the U of MN:

Fleck Signs Extension Into 2024

The University of Minnesota and head football coach P.J. Fleck have agreed to a contract extension that will keep Fleck in Maroon and Gold into 2024. The extension became official this morning after being approved at the Board of Regents meeting.

"It is a tremendous honor to have the opportunity to lead this team and represent the University of Minnesota and our great state," said Fleck. "Our family loves living in Minnesota, and I look forward to leading our football program into the future. Through the academic, athletic, social and spiritual development of our student athletes, and through recruiting, we are building a championship culture that our fans can be proud of. Heather and I are so thankful to our staff, Mark Coyle, President Kaler and the Board of Regents for seeing the vision we have for our football program. We are so excited and humbled with the contact extension!"

Fleck joined Minnesota from Western Michigan in January 2017 and has the Gophers headed in the right direction. In 2018, Fleck led Minnesota to wins against Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Fresno State, Miami (Ohio) and New Mexico State. The Gophers will play Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 26.

Under Fleck, Minnesota beat rival Wisconsin for the first time since 2003 and for the first time on the road since 1994 to reclaim Paul Bunyan's Axe. The Gophers controlled Purdue's potent offense, as Minnesota held the Boilers to a season low in points (10) and yards (233). Minnesota beat Mountain West champion Fresno State to give the Bulldogs one of their two regular season defeats.

"The growth of this program is evident," said Athletics Director Mark Coyle. "Coach Fleck is building a team that excels on and off the field. He recruits at an extreme level and has brought in the highest ranked classes in school history. His players are continually involved in the community and his program has produced record numbers of Academic All-Americans and Academic All-Big Ten honorees. I look forward to more continued success as Coach Fleck builds his program."

The Gophers have 112 players on the 2018 roster and 58 (51.7%) are freshmen, which is the most in the nation. The Gophers have 78 underclassmen (69.6%), which ranks tenth in college football. Despite their youth, Minnesota set a program record as eight Gophers were named Big Ten Player of the Week.

Minnesota started seven freshmen on offense for most of the season and freshmen led the Gophers in passing and rushing. Newcomer Rashod Bateman has already set freshman receiving records this season, while junior Tyler Johnson has a good chance to break Minnesota single-season receiving records in the upcoming bowl game.

Off the field, Fleck and his team can often be found at the University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital and have given back to the community by hosting diaper drives, turkey drives and a canned food drive.

In the classroom, Minnesota has posted program record GPAs under Fleck. In 2018, Minnesota had 39 players named Academic All-Big Ten and led the Big Ten with three players named Academic All-American.

Prior to Minnesota, Fleck served as head football coach at WMU from 2013-16, a time during which he engineered a historic turnaround on the field, from a 1-11 season in his first year to a 13-1 finish in his last. Coach Fleck's Broncos won the Mid-American Conference (MAC) championship for the first time in 29 years, advanced to the Cotton Bowl (one of major college football's prestigious "New Year's Six" bowl games) and finished the season ranked No. 12 in the country. Coach Fleck was twice named MAC Coach of the Year (2014, 2016) while at WMU, compiling a 30-22 overall record.

--

January, 2024 it expires. I only hope to see the following by then: The sixth year Minnesota has retained the axe. The fifth year Minnesota has retained Floyd. Do we play Michigan over that time period? If we do, the retention of the Little Brown Jug. That we beat Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois five straight years. Did I miss anything, please advise.
I hope your right but with success come the the door knockers. I hope when Fleck leaves for another coaching job it is because of the things your talking about.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Yeh, I think the second house (the lake one) is his cabin.
Edina still provides the shorter commute and better schools.

January, 2024 it expires. I only hope to see the following by then: The sixth year Minnesota has retained the axe. The fifth year Minnesota has retained Floyd. Do we play Michigan over that time period? If we do, the retention of the Little Brown Jug. That we beat Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois five straight years. Did I miss anything, please advise.

If this happens, they'll be looking for space for the third bronze statue of him around TCF.

His record as a coach here is one of the greatest ever...you need to reward such excellence with at least 5 more years...not one

Kaler gets it. Since this is his last year he shoulda tacked on a few more years to PJ's deal for good measure

Major college head coaches usually never get close to seeing their contracts expire. They'll continue to add years to it as they go along. That's why this isn't a big deal at all IMO. Him not coaching here someday will either mean he is fired or he leaves in the middle of his contract.

Duno if he moved, but yeah there was a news article about the house he bought. Lakeshore of course... boats and all.

I’m guessing WFG helped him move. Invited or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

has brought in the highest ranked classes in school history

I actually really like Mark Coyle. I don't hate him like many here do.

That being said - ideally, he wouldn't feel the need to put outright lies into press releases. He doesn't need to lie in order to speak positively about P.J. Fleck.

That being said - ideally, he wouldn't feel the need to put outright lies into press releases. He doesn't need to lie in order to speak positively about P.J. Fleck.

What’s lies are you referring to? I reread the press release, I didn’t see any"

So if a year from now we STILL have The Axe and the newly arrived Pig is placed next to it in the Trophy Case...

Then does he get a two year extension? Just checking the trophy math here...

We beat Wisconsin in back to back years? Lifetime contract.

From today's updated story by Andy Greder in the Pioneer Press:

Fleck initially agreed to a five-year, $18 million contract in January 2017. His annual salary started at $3.5 million, with $50,000 increases.

While exact terms were not discussed, and the new contract was not included in the meeting materials Thursday or Friday, Kaler said the extension preserves the original terms of the contract.

It effectively increases the U’s buyout liability by one year, or $3.5 million, but Fleck would have to pay the U an additional $1 million if he were to leave early, Kaler said.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/13/gophers-football-coach-p-j-fleck-receives-contract-extension/

One thing they can't forget when they reward head coach, they need to take care of the assistant coaches too.

He can't seem to help himself. I don't know why he feels the need to lie to his constituents so often. That is a big part of why many dont like him.

He can't seem to help himself. I don't know why he feels the need to lie to his constituents so often. That is a big part of why many dont like him.

My theory on MC is that he is so arrogant that he feels he can just say what he thinks the majority of folks <b>want </b>to hear and most won’t realize, or care, that he is spewing BS. He preys on people’s ignorance. It is the main reason I feel the way I do about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Shooter:

Wouldn’t be surprised, while Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck was getting a contract extension last week, if other Gophers coaches were being told they have to take program cuts.

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck, with six victories this season, last week gets an extension increasing his contract to five years, but baseball coach John Anderson, the Big Ten’s all-time leader in victories coming off another Big Ten championship, can’t get a five-year deal.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/...d-mike-shanahan-get-best-out-of-kirk-cousins/

Go Gophers!!

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie reports that there are some people at the U upset that Fleck got the extension as a few days prior to the extension, coaches at the U received an email that their budgets were being cut.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom