Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck receives contract extension - Twincities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
Congratulations to Coach Fleck!

Gophers head football coach P.J. Fleck will receive a one-year contract extension through the 2023 season, a source told the Pioneer Press on Thursday.

The announcement is expected to be made Friday and will need approval from the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents at an upcoming meeting. Fleck’s deal will then span five more seasons and would expire in January 2024.

Fleck, who received a one-year extension before the regular-season finale a year ago, initially agreed to a five-year, $18 million contract in January 2017. His annual salary started at $3.5 million, with $50,000 increases.

In his first season in 2017, Fleck posted a 5-7 record, which kept the U one win shy of bowl eligibility. In his second season, Fleck’s team improved to 6-6, and Minnesota will appear in the Quick Lane Bowl against Georgia Tech (7-5) at Ford Field in Detroit on Dec. 26.

Minnesota, which has one of the youngest teams in the country, needed to win two of its final three games to become bowl eligible for the first time since 2016.

The Gophers’ 37-15 win over Wisconsin on Nov. 24 was Minnesota’s first victory over the Badgers since 2003, and the U’s first win in Madison since 1994.

“To have all that pressure (with the rivalry and bowl eligibility on the line), all that expectation and all of that against them and be able to play the way they did, I think … you saw how they played,” Fleck said after the Gophers received a bowl bid Dec. 2. “That is what they are capable of playing week in and week out.”..

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/13/gophers-football-coach-p-j-fleck-receives-contract-extension/

Anybody gonna rip Greder for an unnamed source? :rolleyes:

I’m fine with it. Seems like having 4-5 years helps recruiting.

Last edited:

Dip the axe in ink and have him sign the contract with that. :drink:

So if a year from now we STILL have The Axe and the newly arrived Pig is placed next to it in the Trophy Case...

Then does he get a two year extension? Just checking the trophy math here...

I'm in the boat with this. I'm not interested in starting over like we've been doing. We need to give Fleck time to turn this around to where we want the program to be.

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck receives one-year extension : Strib

Here's the story from the Strib:

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck has received a one-year contract extension, pending approval by the Board of Regents, sources told the Star Tribune on Thursday night.

The extension, which runs through the 2023 season, received approval by the Board of Regents’ finance and operations committee on Thursday and is expected to receive full approval by the board on Friday.

Fleck received a one-year extension to his original five-year, $18 million contract on Nov. 22, 2017, during his 5-7 debut season with the Gophers. Terms of the latest one-year extension are similar to what Fleck received last year, a source said.

In his second year with the Gophers, Fleck guided the team to a 6-6 record and an invitation to the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 26 in Detroit. The Gophers won two of their final three games, beating Purdue 41-10, falling 24-14 to Big Ten West Division champion Northwestern, then routing Wisconsin 37-15 in Madison to win Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time since 2003. The victory was the Gophers’ first at Camp Randall Stadium since 1994...

In two years with the Gophers, Fleck has an 11-13 record, including a 5-13 mark in Big Ten play. The Gophers earned their first bowl berth under Fleck and did so by starting seven freshmen on offense. They improved on defense down the stretch, after Fleck fired defensive coordinator Robb Smith and replaced him with defensive line coach Joe Rossi, who got the permanent coordinator’s job after the win at Wisconsin...

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...tension-signed-through-2023-season/502743792/

January, 2024 it expires. I only hope to see the following by then: The sixth year Minnesota has retained the axe. The fifth year Minnesota has retained Floyd. Do we play Michigan over that time period? If we do, the retention of the Little Brown Jug. That we beat Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois five straight years. Did I miss anything, please advise.

January, 2024 it expires. I only hope to see the following by then: The sixth year Minnesota has retained the axe. The fifth year Minnesota has retained Floyd. Do we play Michigan over that time period? If we do, the retention of the Little Brown Jug. That we beat Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois five straight years. Did I miss anything, please advise.

Yeah, 6 years of sellouts at TCF.

So if a year from now we STILL have The Axe and the newly arrived Pig is placed next to it in the Trophy Case...

Then does he get a two year extension? Just checking the trophy math here...

+1 sounds good to me

Not surprised at all... pretty much what I thought would happen if they decided to do something now.

Win 9+ regular season in 2019 and the U backs up the Brinks truck after Gophs take it to Bucky at home next November.

Not a surprise.
This will be an annual thing for a while.

I am just tired of seeing coaching changes every four-five years. I hope PJ Fleck is successful and decides to stay long term. I envy the coaching stability of Iowa and NW.

Heck, I just want to see a competitive Gophers team that don't get blown out. String a few winning seasons please. A team that everyone fears on their schedule. Everything else is added bonus.

I am just tired of seeing coaching changes every four-five years. I hope PJ Fleck is successful and decides to stay long term. I envy the coaching stability of Iowa and NW.

Heck, I just want to see a competitive Gophers team that don't get blown out. String a few winning seasons please. A team that everyone fears on their schedule. Everything else is added bonus.

Agree---I'm not delusional enough to think we will ever be competing for national championships. I'd be happy with an occasional BIG West title (hopefully BIG divisions don't get blown up), beating our rivals at least 50% of the time, and making a bowl game every year.

I'm also on board with the wishes that PJ is the long-term answer.

JTG

JTG

Same. But to be fair, I was on board with every coach in my lifetime being the long-term answer. It just hasn’t happened yet

Everyone except Brewster. Never thought he was the answer.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I'd be comfortable with a longer extension with a higher buyout.

I'd be comfortable with a longer extension with a higher buyout.

From today's updated story by Andy Greder in the Pioneer Press:

Fleck initially agreed to a five-year, $18 million contract in January 2017. His annual salary started at $3.5 million, with $50,000 increases.

While exact terms were not discussed, and the new contract was not included in the meeting materials Thursday or Friday, Kaler said the extension preserves the original terms of the contract.

It effectively increases the U’s buyout liability by one year, or $3.5 million, but Fleck would have to pay the U an additional $1 million if he were to leave early, Kaler said.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/13/gophers-football-coach-p-j-fleck-receives-contract-extension/

From today's updated story by Andy Greder in the Pioneer Press:

Fleck initially agreed to a five-year, $18 million contract in January 2017. His annual salary started at $3.5 million, with $50,000 increases.

While exact terms were not discussed, and the new contract was not included in the meeting materials Thursday or Friday, Kaler said the extension preserves the original terms of the contract.

It effectively increases the U’s buyout liability by one year, or $3.5 million, but Fleck would have to pay the U an additional $1 million if he were to leave early, Kaler said.

The reactions on social media have been really bad as expected. Most people don't have a clue how this works. Not a big deal at all regardless of how you feel about Fleck.

JTG

I also hope PJ is here for the long run. Perhaps he needs to follow Saban at Alabama and push the line. I see Alabama has their early graduates already on campus, ready to help Alabama in the playoffs. If you remember, they brought in Jalen Hurts after early graduation to be Deshaun Watson as they prepared for Clemson. Now they brought in Paul Tyson, who got his diploma last Friday, and is practicing to once again, mirror the new Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence assuming they win the first round.
Other early graduates are also on campus. Somehow this stretches line. After all, they haven’t actually signed a scholarship acceptance. Just committed. I guess they are just new students who showed up for football practice and asked to be involved. Maybe our new defensive tackles who committed to the Gophers, could just show up and ask to help get the Gophers ready for GT.

Top Bottom