2018 Season Other Bowl Games Thread

So a 9 to potentially 10 win team, with multiple wins over ranked teams is now considered mediocre?

There’s a ton of parity in college football. I think they are an average Power 5 team (with caveat seem to be trending up). They lost to a bad 5-7 Maryland squad. They’ve improved over the season, sure, but are still ranked 36th by S&P+, one spot ahead of everyone’s favorite punching bag Purdue.

Through nearly 3 quarters the Bulldogs have put up 166 yards, 7 points on the 55th ranked defense in the nation.

Maybe Georgia finishes strong and wins this thing but pretty poor showing tonight, another sign we need to expand the playoff - nobody really knows for sure who the best teams are.

Based on Auburn beating mediocre Purdue I think we should put 4 SEC teams in the playoff next year

Based on Auburn beating mediocre Purdue I think we should put 4 SEC teams in the playoff next year

Normally I’d think this is sarcasm but this is awfully close to the truth. Circular logic reigns.

The theme after UCF beat Auburn last year was that Auburn didn’t have anything to play for so it wasn’t a big win for UCF. Now that they lost to a different SEC team, the theme has switched to them just not being very good.

If Georgia loses tonight, I’m assuming lots of people will say it doesn’t prove anything because the game didn’t mean anything.

What I think all of this has proven is that the two best teams by far are playing next Monday.

Found this interesting - There are 18 former NFL players with sons playing FBS football.
2 are playing in the Sugar Bowl tonight:
Collin Johnson TX - Johnnie Johnson (CFB HOF) is his father and JR Reed GA - Jake Reed's kid.

Interestingly enough MN is only program with more than one: Antoine Winfield, Jr and Thomas Barber.

3 former Vikings have sons playing - Winfield, Randy Moss, and Jake Reed

The theme after UCF beat Auburn last year was that Auburn didn’t have anything to play for so it wasn’t a big win for UCF. Now that they lost to a different SEC team, the theme has switched to them just not being very good.

If Georgia loses tonight, I’m assuming lots of people will say it doesn’t prove anything because the game didn’t mean anything.

What I think all of this has proven is that the two best teams by far are playing next Monday.

Agree with this.

The only thing this game makes certain is that the Texas hype will be alive and well in the off-season. Hopefully for them they don’t play Maryland again

Yeah this is a common excuse, particularly when overrated teams lose to teams perceived to be inferior. It’s a New Years Six Bowl. It’s not like Georgia is a perennial powerhouse like Alabama and can afford to not show up or blow it off. It’s far more likely they just aren’t as solid as advertised.

Texas is one of those teams (like USC) that actually should be good, but haven’t been. That may be changing which is too bad but these things are cyclical. Even Alabama will eventually go through a rough patch (not willing to predict that...)

If Clemson can find a way to defeat Alabama it will be nice to have the two best SEC teams drop their bowls.

Texas is one of those teams (like USC) that actually should be good, but haven’t been. That may be changing which is too bad but these things are cyclical. Even Alabama will eventually go through a rough patch (not willing to predict that...)

Tennessee could also be included.

These announcers...guys, having high recruits doesn’t guarantee high achievement on the field. Look no further than the team that trounced Georgia tonight. How many years since they’ve been relevant? Big 12 building some credibility for 2019, that’s for sure.

That said, this game is ending on a bizarre note.

Not sure those officials enforced that correctly still.
Third late game onside kick of the day. None of the three games were that good of games but somehow they all end in onside kicks.

SEC is better right now mainly because of Bama.

But what helps ACC and SEC is their 8 game conference schedules.

If all teams split the conference games and sweep non-conference. SEC and ACC teams will average a 8-4 record. Big Ten, Big12, and Pac12 will average a 7.5-5.5 record.
Take that, and then put into a bunch of computer formulations that the top team in your conference is playing 8 games against "weaker" competition than the SEC or ACC is, and you will see ACC and SEC teams get overrated by computer models and humans, and Big12, Big10, and PAC12 teams look weaker.

Throw in NW, MSU, and Purdue losing to some MAC teams, and you have a recipe to get ignored by the CFP.

If all teams split the conference games and sweep non-conference. SEC and ACC teams will average a 8-4 record. Big Ten, Big12, and Pac12 will average a 7.5-5.5 record.
Take that, and then put into a bunch of computer formulations that the top team in your conference is playing 8 games against "weaker" competition than the SEC or ACC is, and you will see ACC and SEC teams get overrated by computer models and humans, and Big12, Big10, and PAC12 teams look weaker.

Throw in NW, MSU, and Purdue losing to some MAC teams, and you have a recipe to get ignored by the CFP.

100% spot on

When you rank the conferences based on bowl win % and see conference USA at the top and the SEC in the middle it occurs to me that it is almost like one conference is not innately better than others and that we should look at the teams rather than the conferences.
Like when Minnesota pounds Georgia Tech it does not make Ohio state better than Clemson.
Or when auburn stomps purdue it doesn’t make mississippi state better than Iowa.
Or when Iowa beats MS St it doesn’t make Penn State better than Kentucky.

And so on, and so on.

When ranking teams, conference shouldn’t even be considered except when comparing two teams from the same conference.

7.5-4.5*

Found this interesting - There are 18 former NFL players with sons playing FBS football.
2 are playing in the Sugar Bowl tonight:
Collin Johnson TX - Johnnie Johnson (CFB HOF) is his father and JR Reed GA - Jake Reed's kid.

Interestingly enough MN is only program with more than one: Antoine Winfield, Jr and Thomas Barber.

3 former Vikings have sons playing - Winfield, Randy Moss, and Jake Reed

Add Demetrius Douglas to the Gophers. Omar spent 3+seasons with the Giants.

Yeah this is a common excuse, particularly when overrated teams lose to teams perceived to be inferior. It’s a New Years Six Bowl. It’s not like Georgia is a perennial powerhouse like Alabama and can afford to not show up or blow it off. It’s far more likely they just aren’t as solid as advertised.

As expected, the excuses for Georgia were out in full force last night. Game didn't mean anything, they didn't care as much, etc. Their players were spouting off on twitter Saturday about them not getting in, then they lay that egg last night.

The SEC is the best conference year after year, I think it's hard to dispute that. But they're not as good overall as some like to make them out to be. It's still hilarious how many fans of other teams in the SEC pound their chest when Alabama has success.

As expected, the excuses for Georgia were out in full force last night. Game didn't mean anything, they didn't care as much, etc. Their players were spouting off on twitter Saturday about them not getting in, then they lay that egg last night.

The SEC is the best conference year after year, I think it's hard to dispute that. But they're not as good overall as some like to make them out to be. It's still hilarious how many fans of other teams in the SEC pound their chest when Alabama has success.

I think it is generally hard to get a whole team going before a far away game, after a long break, in a non college football environment. Sometimes teams start flat and just can't get it going in those situations.

Yeah, Bama definitely skews how the conference is viewed as a whole for football. In the end, the committee pretty much got it right...other than Irish...but that is another issue really beyond their control. I would still argue Buckeyes should have made it in this year but for the Irish dilemma. You'd hope final rankings would have Buckeyes 4th, but I suspect the top four will not change.

If we broaden to all sports, I think it would be hard to argue that the B1G is not the best conference overall IMO.

I think it is generally hard to get a whole team going before a far away game, after a long break, in a non college football environment. Sometimes teams start flat and just can't get it going in those situations.

So no bowl team on the road ever has a chance?

Add Demetrius Douglas to the Gophers. Omar spent 3+seasons with the Giants.

My mistake. There are more as well (eg. Troy Vincent’s son). It was an 18 for 2018 article featuring players who had significant playing time and contributions from 2017 season. I botched that one prett good.

My mistake. There are more as well (eg. Troy Vincent’s son). It was an 18 for 2018 article featuring players who had significant playing time and contributions from 2017 season. I botched that one prett good.

Both of us also forgot Benny Sapp Jr.

Ranking all 39 college football bowl games for 2018-19 from the worst to the best

Post bowl season rankings per Tom Fornelli:

29. Quick Lane -- Minnesota 34, Georgia Tech 10: Paul Johnson's farewell did not go as planned for Georgia Tech, as Minnesota gave it a dose of its own medicine by rushing for 260 yards in the game. (37)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...s-for-2018-19-from-the-worst-to-the-best/amp/

Seeing Clemson vs Alabama again has made me reminisce a bit for the old pre-BCS bowl game era. Obviously there was a flaw to this arrangement having organizations vote for a National Champion. But, there was a classic pageantry to conference champions playing in specific bowls. You really looked forward to the New Year’s Day bowl games.

Here could be match-ups using the old system including the top 10 teams at the end of the year.

Rose Bowl - Ohio State vs Washington
Orange Bowl - Oklahoma vs Clemson
Sugar Bowl - Alabama vs Notre Dame
Fiesta Bowl - Georgia vs Michigan
Cotton Bowl - UCF vs Florida

In this scenario, Alabama probably crushes Notre Dame and wins the National Championship.

Interestingly, at least to me, this issue was discussed last Tuesday on FS1’s Speak For Yourself. Sorry to rehash an old subject, but it’s the slow season :cool:

Whitlock and Wiley agreed with me, and Joel Klatt agreed with most of you guys. I think Klatt did a better job if we scored the debate. But, I still like the old system a bit more.

Last edited:

Top Bottom