2018 Season Other Bowl Games Thread

The four best teams are not in the CFP. Georgia should be in instead of ND. The only reason ND got in was because they were undefeated playing a good but not great schedule. ND should be made to join a conference or not included as a P5 team. Ohio State should have been in the CFP before ND. Quinn Carroll talked about winning a National Championship at ND. It will never happen, and I’m happy about that.

Regardless, the playoff is still better than just letting Clemson and Bama play.

Agreed. If nothing else, today's two games add credibility to Alabama and Clemson being the best two teams.

Agreed. If nothing else, today's two games add credibility to Alabama and Clemson being the best two teams.

Agreed. Any maybe Ohio State and UCF... but we'll just trust our gut on those.

I’ll use a line from another poster who said it well. The goal of the CFP should be to identify who the best team is in college football. It shouldn’t necessarily be the best 4.

I tend to agree with this statement. Yes, Georgia would have been much more entertaining and made for a more competitive game. But we already knew they weren’t the best team.

Yes they are the most profitable program taking advantage of the system. ND knows how to make money doing it this way. If ND was in a conference they wouldn't be undefeated in my opinion.

I’ll use a line from another poster who said it well. The goal of the CFP should be to identify who the best team is in college football. It shouldn’t necessarily be the best 4.

I tend to agree with this statement. Yes, Georgia would have been much more entertaining and made for a more competitive game. But we already knew they weren’t the best team.

Really, because they lost once to Alabama? Doesn’t mean they couldn’t beat them the next time.

Yes they are the most profitable program taking advantage of the system. ND knows how to make money doing it this way. If ND was in a conference they wouldn't be undefeated in my opinion.

All teams should be forced to join a conference.

ND needs to get in a major conference.

Why? They are one of the profitable football programs in the nation and just had their squad in the playoffs.

To this point, ND has had no incentive to join a conference for football and I doubt they will in the near future. They've had their cake and eaten it too (high profits - no conference/pick the schedule - yet still getting considered for the CFP). Looking forward, that gig might be coming to an end, where it might be extremely difficult to get into the CFP as an independent. Their major bowl record the past couple decades has been abysmal.

Georgia was soundly beaten in the second half and already lost a different game. I don’t understand the Georgia argument at all. If we’re using margin of victory does MS State belong in the playoff (not directed at you Galt).

Just go back to 2 teams. This is pointless.

Except for those 2 times in the last 4 years the champion was a lower seed, or 50% of the time. Will be 40% barring a miracle. Point remains.

Last edited:

I agree. Georgia would smoke ND and Ohio St probably would as well. But God forbid undefeated ND gets left out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A larger playoff might solve this quandary, instead of biased committee members and fans.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Oklahoma at least making a game of it now. Getting lit up in the first quarter probably put the game out of reach for them unfortunately.

Oklahoma at least making a game of it now. Getting lit up in the first quarter probably put the game out of reach for them unfortunately.

93rd ranked defense will do that to you.

93rd ranked defense will do that to you.

On one hand, Oklahoma has a chance here to score more points on Alabama than any other team this year (31). On the other hand, I heard the announcers say Oklahoma has the worst red zone defense in the country. That won't get it done.

Gotta give credit to Notre Dame for playing a schedule that would generally be equivalent to a major conference, yet without being required to play the toughest team in any given conference (no Clemson, no Ohio State, no Washington, no Alabama, no Oklahoma). There were no conference champions on their schedule. In the future, maybe the committee should only allow an independent in the CFP if the team is unbeaten and proven themselves by beating a Power 5 conference champion.

They had Michigan, Florida St, VA Tech, USC and Stanford on their schedule this year. Most years that would be an extremely tough schedule. Not their fault most of those teams are way down this year. There are over 60 power 5 teams. You want them to have to guess which of those will be one of five conference champs years in advance?

They had Michigan, Florida St, VA Tech, USC and Stanford on their schedule this year. Most years that would be an extremely tough schedule. Not their fault most of those teams are way down this year. There are over 60 power 5 teams. You want them to have to guess which of those will be one of five conference champs years in advance?

They choose to be independent. So yes, they need to guess who conference champs might be to get the proper recognition in the final bowl selections. If it doesn't pan out, oh well. Notre Dame has failed miserably in major bowls for a long time now, so I don't believe the CFP should give them the benefit of the doubt without actually beating the other teams being considered for the CFP.

Alabama Clemson, again — disgusting.

College football is grossly broken at the top. Zero parity. Same teams in the championship forever.

Will not watch the championship game. The product they want me to buy and consume — I refuse, until they fix broken college football and force parity.

Install a draft for the P5 (+ Notre Dame). Do something.

Hahaha — the SEC had to actually make special patches on the uniforms for the very few football players that actually graduate.

That semi-final wasn't that close, but it was the 2nd best game of the week.

Playoffs are still better than Bowl Games.

I think the people who are tired of the playoff are maybe just sort of getting tired of football altogether as they get older. It happens. Like a lot of things the passion for activities, hobbies, interests, spouses can die down a bit over the years.

For me I think there’s still enough parity and intrigue to make things interesting. Cinderella stories, upsets is what a lot of fans live for. Don’t tell me anyone was betting the house on the outcomes of these games today. Sure we all have our suspicions and bias but we chose to watch.

After watching the 1st round CFP games, I'm wondering if Clemson goes full-on no huddle attack mode on offense against Alabama (at least try). Oklahoma's pace really gassed Alabama's big D-line once they got out of their horrid first quarter.

College football is grossly broken at the top. Zero parity. Same teams in the championship forever.

Will not watch the championship game. The product they want me to buy and consume — I refuse, until they fix broken college football and force parity.

I'll watch. Clemson is the only team in America that has a shot to beat Alabama and that's because they have a proper defense. No one else had a chance. Oklahoma played okay after spotting them 28, but I think Bama let up quite a bit. They were chippy and lost their composure.

Parity in college football, or any semblance of it, seems to come with changes in coaching staffs and maybe changes in infrastructure investment. So, much much slower than the NFL with its draft. The cap on scholarships a few years ago probably helped even things out a little.

In the end though, your right, college football at all divisions is really dominated by a small handful of teams. D2 might have the most variety at the top, but FBS, FCS, and D3 and maybe even NAIA seem to have a revolving door of the same few teams vieing for championships. This is one reason why I actually like the multiple bowl game structure now. I've been watching college football for a week straight...arguing about what conferences are great and what conferences are garbage, and so forth. I would miss it if we didn't have it.

I was hoping Notre Dame and Oklahoma could make games of it.
I think Notre Dames defense was good enough, their offense just couldn’t make plays and even made negative plays. Their defense on the field too much.
Oklahoma had a chance if they got an early lead. Needed the game to go like the Georgia game last year. I guess I should’ve expected possibly Alabama’s best team in the Saban era would probably win the championship.

The only way they could do that is if the players were employees of the ncaa or of the conferences. They aren’t even employees of the schools.

Top Bottom