ESPN: Inside Scott Frost's roller-coaster first year at Nebraska

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The words from coach Scott Frost cut deep and stung into the empty weeks of December as 80 teams ventured into bowl season and Nebraska sat home for a second straight year.

"Iowa's a bigger, stronger football team," Frost said after the Hawkeyes thwarted a comeback bid on Black Friday by the Cornhuskers with a field goal to win 31-28 as time expired in Iowa City. "That's right now. I never thought I'd see or hear that or say that about a Nebraska football team."

Iowa, in fact, has been bigger and stronger than Nebraska for a while, winning four straight in this season-ending series -- including mismatched meetings by a combined 72 points in 2016 and '17.

Frost, seeing it up close for the first time, found new pain in the established reality. And sure as the progress that the Huskers displayed this fall, he vowed to close the gap.

"We can get bigger," Frost said. "We can get stronger. ... I'm looking forward to the day we get that fixed, when we're not going to be pushed around by anybody."

That day, according to the players and coaches who experienced a turbulent debut season for Frost as head coach back home at Nebraska, is coming sooner than the Huskers' 4-8 finish appears to indicate.

For it was largely a tale of two seasons in Lincoln.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cott-frost-roller-coaster-first-year-nebraska

Go Gophers!!

Nebraska can't get back to the elite, without getting elite recruits.

But elite recruits aren't going to go to a cold cornfield, unless it's an elite winning program.

Chicken and egg problem there ...

It looked for a moment like Madison *almost* had it figured out. #5 preseason ranking this year. Then it all went to crap. So sad.

Nebraska is a sleeping giant ....and I think the giant is waking up..

Best 4-8 team in the country by far.

They’re lucky they didn’t get to 6-6, because then they’d be the second best 6-6 team behind Purdue.

Only if they can convince elite recruits to come there. In that sense, really any P5 program can be such a giant.

Since there is no "P5 draft" and there is no "free agency" in college football, it all comes down to who you can convince to voluntarily decide to come to your campus and play, without payment (other than a scholarship).

Until that changes, I have my doubt that the elite of the elite are going to stop going to the helmet schools that we all already know, and start deciding to go to Nebraska. Why would they?

Only if they can convince elite recruits to come there. In that sense, really any P5 program can be such a giant.

Since there is no "P5 draft" and there is no "free agency" in college football, it all comes down to who you can convince to voluntarily decide to come to your campus and play, without payment (other than a scholarship).

Until that changes, I have my doubt that the elite of the elite are going to stop going to the helmet schools that we all already know, and start deciding to go to Nebraska. Why would they?

Because of the awesome history/tradition, huge/loyal fan base, enormous stadium, the pull of Scott Frost, etc etc?

Huskers have a top 20 class for 2019. Frost has them on the come.

Because of the awesome history/tradition, huge/loyal fan base, enormous stadium, the pull of Scott Frost, etc etc?

Huskers have a top 20 class for 2019. Frost has them on the come.

Purely based on the hype of Scott Frost and Central Florida. Purely.

He has a year, maybe two, to transform hype into results. Otherwise, bye bye.

Purely based on the hype of Scott Frost and Central Florida. Purely.

He has a year, maybe two, to transform hype into results. Otherwise, bye bye.

You're one of the strangest posters on Gopherhole, and that is really saying something.

And what does it say about someone when they use personal attacks because they couldn’t think of an actual response?

Take Taylor Martinez out of the picture and I see a .500 team at best.

Brewster our together some good classes here too. Couldn’t convert hype into results.

But ... but ... Nebraska won a natty in the 1990’s! SO??? That’s ancient history to today’s recruits. Pretty much the same as the U’s natty history, at this point.

Like the 5, 4* players he already has committed? Wisconsin hasn't done that in the last 10 years.

Brewster.

Until hype is converted into results, he has done nothing.

Frosts results at central Florida are incredible. From winless to undefeated in 2 years right? No comparison to Brewster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, that’s hype. When it comes to Nebraska.

Only wins at Nebraska are results.

Brewster.

Until hype is converted into results, he has done nothing.

Dude your crazy. I like Fleck but Frost's resume at Central Florida was more impressive. Beat the Gophers this year, out recruiting the Gophers this year. Better facilities, better fan base, things are lining up for him. You don't think all of that pertains? You can have your opinion for sure, we all do, but this is a head scratcher to say he's hype.

Yeah gotta love those 5-7 results!! That’s not crazy, it’s very sane!

Frosts results at central Florida are incredible. From winless to undefeated in 2 years right? No comparison to Brewster.

It's not like Frost walked into a horrible program and created miracles, that winless 2015 season was a total abnormality for UCF. Yes Frost had them undefeated in 2017, but They were 12-1 in 2013 and beat Baylor in the Fiesta bowl, and won 9 games in 2014. Also Heupel has gone undefeated this year, so it's not like it took coaching that only Frost could provide. Frost won with a lot of O'Leary's recruits, and Heupel even is still using O'Leary guys. That said I could see a world where Nebraska replaces Wisconsin as the perennial power in the west, but I do still think Frost has as much to prove as Fleck does.

I'm confident based on schedule and three years in with some roster building the Gophers take a jump in 2019.

I'm also confident with Frost's coaching staff, recruits and the momentum Nebraska achieved with results the last four games they'll be bowl eligible next year. I do agree it'll help their cause if Martinez stays healthy (hedging a little) not knowing if they have a solid #2 QB. I think at one point this season the #2 was a walkon freshman because the other QB's left?

Nebraska has always been able to recruit the top recruiting classes in the Big Ten West even under Pellini and Riley.

The thing is that under Scott Frost, things might be a little different. They may be the next perennial powerhouse in B1G West supplanting Wisconsin.

It is bothersome to me that they are able to nab top players from Minnesota: JD Spearman, David Alston, and now Bryce Benhart. It doesn't matter who is coaching. I know that the reasons for why these kids end up there are varied today.

It hurts that Scott Frost brought Bryce Benhart on a recruiting visit to watch the Huskers rout the Gophers in a revenge game, and then he committed to the Huskers that weekend. It's like rubbing salt in the wounds of Gopher fans. To me, why not commit to the home team? He would have looked nice next to Faalele, Andries, and Dunlop.

It will be interesting if hometown hero Scott Frost can transform Nebraska back into its winning ways. They are going to have some tough competition. No one in the B1G West is going to take it laying down.

Last edited:

Nebraska has always been able to recruit the top recruiting classes in the Big Ten West even under Pellini and Riley.

The thing is that under Scott Frost, things might be a little different. They may be the next perennial powerhouse in B1G West supplanting Wisconsin.

It is bothersome to me that they are able to nab top players from Minnesota: JD Spearman, David Alston, and now Bryce Benhart. It doesn't matter who is coaching. I know that the reasons for why these kids end up there are varied today.

It hurts that Scott Frost brought Bryce Benhart on a recruiting visit to watch the Huskers rout the Gophers in a revenge game, and then he committed to the Huskers that weekend. It's like rubbing salt in the wounds of Gopher fans. To me, why not commit to the home team? He would have looked nice next to Faalele, Andries, and Dunlop.

It will be interesting if hometown hero Scott Frost can transform Nebraska back into its winning ways. They are going to have some tough competition. No one in the B1G West is going to take it laying down.

It's not bothersome to me that they nab a Minnesota kid once in a while. Alston we didn't even offer.

It's not like Frost walked into a horrible program and created miracles, that winless 2015 season was a total abnormality for UCF. Yes Frost had them undefeated in 2017, but They were 12-1 in 2013 and beat Baylor in the Fiesta bowl, and won 9 games in 2014. Also Heupel has gone undefeated this year, so it's not like it took coaching that only Frost could provide. Frost won with a lot of O'Leary's recruits, and Heupel even is still using O'Leary guys. That said I could see a world where Nebraska replaces Wisconsin as the perennial power in the west, but I do still think Frost has as much to prove as Fleck does.

I agree. But “those results don’t matter” is false. Frost might fail at Nebraska but I highly doubt it. Question is how good. Same with Fleck. I never questioned whether he would succeed, just to what level. It’s very impressive to finish your regular season undefeated at UCF and WMU.

Top Bottom