Nelson: U stars skipping bowl game is exactly why D1 football needs a playoff bracket

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe Nelson:

Gophers star linebacker Black Cashman announced Tuesday that he'll skip the Quick Lane Bowl against Georgia Tech in order to focus on preparing for next year's NFL Draft.

That makes two Gophers starters skipping the bowl game to focus on playing at the next level. Left tackle Donnell Green was the first to choose his long-term future over the short-term college game, and who can blame the two?

The bowl game brings some value to the University of Minnesota and its football program, but the Dec. 26 Quick Lane Bowl is a low-end game that probably won't do much to improve Cashman or Green's draft stock.

In fact, if Green or Cashman were to get injured in the bowl game they could lose out on millions of dollars that might be waiting for them in the NFL.

"This was a very hard decision for me, but I feel in my heart that getting a jump start on training will give me the best opportunity at the next level," Cashman said.

Bottom line, this is a star player making it very clear that the bowl game is meaningless to his future. If the Gophers had qualified for a playoff-style tournament rather than a one-off bowl game would Cashman and Green still be playing?

Only they know for sure, but yeah... they probably would be because the games still matter.

It's a massive problem that again spotlights the NCAA's greed and desire to fill its bottomless pockets with corporate sponsorship dollars rather than give America what it wants with a legitimate tournament.

Because, you know, it's more important to cash a check and create the Cheez-It Bowl than it is to encourage student-athletes to stick out the entire season with hopes of pulling an upset or two and making a deep run in a tournament.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...actly-why-d1-football-needs-a-playoff-bracket

Go Gophers!!

I don't blame these guys one bit! I hope they don't get their bowl game swag though!

So even if they expanded to 16, which will not happen in our lifetimes most likely, the Gophers would not have made it into the playoff .... meaning the team would've simply been done after the Wisconsin game. Not a bad way to end, sure.

But no extra 15 practices for the bowl. Players don't get the awesome experience, swag, fun activities, helping the community.

Would mean the same for 60+ other FBS programs.

Sorry, I just won't be buying this particular narrative. It's just click-bait. People love the idea of the expanded playoff, so grab anything as an excuse to write an article about it for clicks. Fine, you do you. I'm not buying.

If they expand it to 8 only 4 more teams are covered... that won't change anything.

But no extra 15 practices for the bowl. Players don't get the awesome experience, swag, fun activities, helping the community.

Why?

Why can't spring ball be extended two weeks (for all teams assuming there aren't a bazillion bowls)? Why wouldn't programs continue to do charity work despite their bowl status? Why couldn't these things be added for ALL teams instead of just bowl qualifiers? If that extra two weeks of practice is that important, wouldn't non-bowl-qualifiers need it MORE anyway?

The point is, if the trend continues and important players leave their programs prior to their lower tier bowl games, it will further diminish the importance of those lower tier bowl games and fans will be less likely to shell out money to attend them or even watch them on TV. That makes them less likely to make money for anyone, and less likely for them to be financially viable. So, if the one thing that separates BCS football from all the other levels is gone, why not make its post season look more like all those other levels?

I'm not saying I don't like lower level bowls and I'm not saying players shouldn't have the option to skip lower tier bowls. What I am saying is if this trend continues it may make lower tier bowls obsolete and in that case - it would make natural sense to expand the playoffs beyond 8 teams.

The first round or two could be played at the higher seed in Nov or early Dec and the NY6 bowl games could be quarter/semi finals.

Why?

Why can't spring ball be extended two weeks (for all teams assuming there aren't a bazillion bowls)? Why wouldn't programs continue to do charity work despite their bowl status? Why couldn't these things be added for ALL teams instead of just bowl qualifiers? If that extra two weeks of practice is that important, wouldn't non-bowl-qualifiers need it MORE anyway?

The point is, if the trend continues and important players leave their programs prior to their lower tier bowl games, it will further diminish the importance of those lower tier bowl games and fans will be less likely to shell out money to attend them or even watch them on TV. That makes them less likely to make money for anyone, and less likely for them to be financially viable. So, if the one thing that separates BCS football from all the other levels is gone, why not make its post season look more like all those other levels?

I'm not saying I don't like lower level bowls and I'm not saying players shouldn't have the option to skip lower tier bowls. What I am saying is if this trend continues it may make lower tier bowls obsolete and in that case - it would make natural sense to expand the playoffs beyond 8 teams.

The first round or two could be played at the higher seed in Nov or early Dec and the NY6 bowl games could be quarter/semi finals.

It seemed to me you were advocating a 16 (or 24 or 32) team playoff in FBS, **in leau** of any bowl games. If that is not true, then I don't mind as much.

I'm only advocating this if lower level bowl games become defunct because of a migration of top players away from playing in them. That is the point. If lower level bowls are obsolete - let's fill up the void with MEANINGFUL football.

I'm only advocating this if lower level bowl games become defunct because of a migration of top players away from playing in them. That is the point. If lower level bowls are obsolete - let's fill up the void with MEANINGFUL football.

So again, sounds like you want to kill the "lowest" 4 bowl games in favor of 4 "additional" playoff games. As if that balance somehow needs to be struck?

So which 4 bowl games are the "lowest"? Would seem like Sun Belt type games ... but usually players don't leave their teams early for those? So that doesn't work?

Expanded playoffs and the current bowl system could co-exist.

You would likely still have some players foregoing the post-season, simply because the potential financial payoff in the NFL is so great.

Can't blame anyone for wanting to grasp for the brass ring. But it still sucks for the college game.

JTG

So again, sounds like you want to kill the "lowest" 4 bowl games in favor of 4 "additional" playoff games. As if that balance somehow needs to be struck?

So which 4 bowl games are the "lowest"? Would seem like Sun Belt type games ... but usually players don't leave their teams early for those? So that doesn't work?

I don't want to kill anything. I'm saying that if top players continue to migrate away from playing in lower tier bowl games, these bowls will KILL THEMSELVES because people will lose their interest in going to them or watching them on TV. And, it would be a lot more than just 4 bowls that would be killing themselves if their participant teams were regularly stripped of their best players.

If we expand it to 128, we'll get in...

I was going to say something similar.
Wonder if eventually we have a 32 team playoff and then the rest of the bowls form their version of a football NIT tournament.

I don't want to kill anything. I'm saying that if top players continue to migrate away from playing in lower tier bowl games, these bowls will KILL THEMSELVES because people will lose their interest in going to them or watching them on TV. And, it would be a lot more than just 4 bowls that would be killing themselves if their participant teams were regularly stripped of their best players.

OK, I got you now. Thanks

Even after all that, I might still have to agree to disagree with you. How many people who actually tune into (or go to) the Quicklane Bowl will have already known ahead of time that Cashman isn't playing? Probably very few.

They aren't attracting mega audiences ... mostly just people who want to watch a football game.

There will be bowl games as long as cities want to attract tourists and profits can be made by selling tickets, concessions and TV revenue. Heck, I think D2 and D3 even have a handful of bowls games outside the playoffs.

OK, I got you now. Thanks

Even after all that, I might still have to agree to disagree with you. How many people who actually tune into (or go to) the Quicklane Bowl will have already known ahead of time that Cashman isn't playing? Probably very few.

They aren't attracting mega audiences ... mostly just people who want to watch a football game.

I think you think that I am saying a meteor will hit the Earth. Instead I am saying what should happen IF a meteor hits the Earth. That is two completely different opinions - apples and oranges.

If a lot of people continue to watch lower tier bowl games, travel to watch them, etc. all this is beside the point. I'll still be watching the quick lane bowl this year. However, I can tell you my interest in it is lower than it was before I found out Cashman isn't going to play in it. When players started skipping bowl games, they were usually the guys that were projected in the high rounds of the draft. Now it is already down to guys that are looking for an invite to the combine. Perhaps in time it will be down to guys hoping to get a free agent contract or play in Canada. Meanwhile there are a LOT of bowls. There is the give and take for potential pro players of visibility vs injury and prep. If they were playing in a playoff the visibility would be off the charts. If this trend continues there could possibly be a lot of defunct bowls. There is the hook for a bigger playoff. If people are still spending on bowl games that become exhibitions or seem more like a spring game than a "real" game, I suspect they will still be around in the same numbers they are now. What are the chances? I have no idea.

OK. I apologize for my thick skull and making you explain it ten times! Thanks :cool:

I find it odd that someone would choose not to watch a football game because ONE particular player isn't playing. That player must be REALLY important!

Wait......Didn't we just win a significant game without said player?

Oof....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Do the players electing to not play in the bowl game leave the team whenever they announce this? Or do they still practice and travel with the team and partake in all the bowl game activities?

I find it odd that someone would choose not to watch a football game because ONE particular player isn't playing. That player must be REALLY important!

Wait......Didn't we just win a significant game without said player?

Oof....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is hard to believe that someone would choose not to watch a football game because of one player, I agree. Do you mind sharing who you saw/heard say they wouldn't watch a game because one particular player isn't playing?

Do the players electing to not play in the bowl game leave the team whenever they announce this? Or do they still practice and travel with the team and partake in all the bowl game activities?

I think the point is that they spend the time going to these special workout centers where you try to maximize your 40 time, vertical, bench press reps, etc

per Joe Nelson:

The bowl game brings some value to the University of Minnesota and its football program, but the Dec. 26 Quick Lane Bowl is a low-end game that probably won't do much to improve Cashman or Green's draft stock.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...actly-why-d1-football-needs-a-playoff-bracket

Go Gophers!!

I'm not so sure of that. I remember watching DeMarcus Ware playing for Troy University and having a really monster game about 13 years ago against Northern Illinois in an even lower bowl. My guess is that bowl probably helped his draft stock (#11 pick that year).

I guess I want something that is probably impossible in the world of college sports - consistency.

So, if I was king of the world, and wanted to make everyone happy, here's my proposal. If you are a college FB player on scholarship, and you have graduated, or have enough credits to graduate, bowl games are optional. If you do not have enough credits to graduate, you must receive a medical exemption. otherwise, you are expected to participate in the bowl game as part of your scholarship obligation. If you are an underclassman, and announce you are skipping the bowl game to prepare for the NFL, your scholarship becomes null and void at that point, and you may not access campus housing, dining hall privileges and workout facilities.

You want to prepare for the NFL, fine. go prepare for the NFL. on your own. you want to be a college FB player, then play College FB. you can't (or shouldn't be able to) do both at the same time.

Nelson is a former KFAN bobo.

So instead of skipping a bowl game players will skip playoff games.

I don't know if expanding the playoff would do the trick. Most advocates, myself included, want it to jump to eight, and that's about it. Even if that were to happen, there would still be plenty of bowls players would deem unnecessary to play in.

That latter part has led to something that's a bit puzzling, though. There's been talk lately that the College Football Playoff has resulted in other bowls becoming meaningless. But, hasn't that always been the case in college football? If not in the BCS national championship game, the Bowl Alliance national championship game or the Bowl Coalition national championship game, wouldn't all the other bowls in those years also be irrelevant?

As for the players, maybe there isn't a solution. Top stars want to get drafted, they don't want to risk injury, so they have their future to consider. Even if the playoff was expanded, you'd still have plenty of players not getting a title shot, Will Grier this year is an example. College Football just doesn't have the ability to offer that many stand-out players chances at a championship the same way NCAA hockey and basketball do.

I don't blame these guys one bit! I hope they don't get their bowl game swag though!

If they were anywhere near the top 20 picks I can understand. These guys are deep if at all in the draft. Just play, they can pull a muscle in a try out and disappear forever.

So instead of skipping a bowl game players will skip playoff games.

THEY WOULD NEVER

Until they do, for the same reasons.
Look at Bosa at Ohio state. Literally opted out of half a season.

So even if they expanded to 16, which will not happen in our lifetimes most likely, the Gophers would not have made it into the playoff .... meaning the team would've simply been done after the Wisconsin game. Not a bad way to end, sure.

Sorry, I just won't be buying this particular narrative. It's just click-bait. People love the idea of the expanded playoff, so grab anything as an excuse to write an article about it for clicks. Fine, you do you. I'm not buying.
I am being serious with this question. I went to the bowl game in Tempe vs Kansas and the Citrus Bowl and both were awesome experiences. Did anyone go to the Detroit bowl game a few years ago? Can anyone say it was truly an awesome experience? I just have a hard time believing that Detroit on December 26 is a great experience.

Top Bottom