Axe is Back Beer

Hey, I'm on Untappd too! The next time I'm in the Twin Cities I'll have to head out to Wicked Wort and have a pint in honor of the axe.

I have been to Wicked Wort a number of times and will be in Robbinsdale tomorrow evening... I'm going to give this brew a taste.

I have been to Wicked Wort a number of times and will be in Robbinsdale tomorrow evening... I'm going to give this brew a taste.

I am going as well tomorrow. Hoping the taste is as good as the win.

Definitely will try to add this to my Untappd check-ins when I'm back in town. An imperial brown sounds boozy and delicious and I assume it tastes like sweet victory.

It's honoring Larry "The Axe" Henning...

I would assume cans or bottles with pretty art aren't happening?

I'd buy a bunch for home.

Best part of Wicked Wort is PAMP across the street.

Side comment: how many tap rooms are there now in the metro? 100+ ?

Man, that business just exploded.

I have had this beer and it is delicious!

How do they all stay operating?

Most of them have become neighborhood bars. And aren't the sole income for the proprietors. Only a few have expanded beyond using mobile canning/bottling lines. Make $4+ per beer

Oh I didn't think most of these places did any canning or bottling. Thought the point of a tap room was people came to the beer, not the opposite. And growlers, which are different.

The bubble will burst eventually. It's cool to have so many around but I doubt it's sustainable. As the craft beer fad wanes, some of the tap rooms will go away.

The bubble will burst eventually. It's cool to have so many around but I doubt it's sustainable. As the craft beer fad wanes, some of the tap rooms will go away.

Yeah ... how expensive is it to have and run all that fancy brewing equipment on-site at those places? Seems like it would be better to just have a place for people to come drink your beer, but more of a central/communal brewing location.

Oh wait, I think that's just called a bar.

There's about 115 craft breweries in MN total. Metro area, depending how you define it, has probably half of those. To my knowledge, roughly about a half-dozen have closed. The saturation point is probably in the 150 range state-wide, or about 35 more with a majority of those new ones out state.

It's honoring Larry "The Axe" Henning...

You are correct. Though I think in this case it's a bit of a double entendre. They had to have known what they were doing with that name in Minnesota.

Went last night. Very tasty. I felt like body slamming someone on the table afterwards.

For a lot of established beer cities, it isn't called craft beer, just beer. Its not like each of these places is trying to be Surly. Operate a brewery part time, net $20-40k and be happy you have your day job.

For a lot of established beer cities, it isn't called craft beer, just beer. Its not like each of these places is trying to be Surly. Operate a brewery part time, net $20-40k and be happy you have your day job.

Managing the operations of brewing the beer (even assuming no attempt at canning/bottling), and managing the operations of the tap room .... can be done as a part-time job by a single person? I'd be surprised, but maybe?

Not really sure what your first comment is getting at...that's literally how they define themselves. You are correct that not all are looking to be the next Surly, and many start out having day jobs but in fact become full-time gigs or they hire full-time employees to run the brewery. I personally know quite a few of them here in MN and if your beer is good it will sell, and you will most likely run into production capacity issues.

https://www.mncraftbrew.org/brewery-members/

Managing the operations of brewing the beer (even assuming no attempt at canning/bottling), and managing the operations of the tap room .... can be done as a part-time job by a single person? I'd be surprised, but maybe?

No, they can't and aren't.

Top Bottom