All Things Jordan Murphy Chasing BT All Time Leading Rebounding Record Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the U, Murphy moved into 8th all time in Big Ten history for leading rebounder.

The link below only lists stats from 1985-86, in which Murphy is 3rd, but the U notes that he rose to 8th last night. I hope at some point a definitive list is published so we can track.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-ten/leaders/trb-player-career.html

I'll try to keep this thread updated, and I'll also keep an eye on wisconsin's Happ as he is only 66 rebounds behind Murphy, and if they go deeper in the postseason than we do, Happ could catch and pass Murphy.

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

MURPHY MOVES UP BIG TEN REBOUNDING CHART
Murphy continues to stretch his school‐record rebounding lead, as he now has 1,049 for his career. Murphy is one of
just 14 players in Big Ten history with 1,000 or more rebounds, and tonight he passed Michigan State's John Green
(1,036 career rebounds), Michigan's Bill Buntin (1,037) and Michigan's Rudy Tomjanovich (1,039) for eighth place all‐
time. Last season, Murphy finished with a school‐record total of 361 rebounds.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2018/12/11//UNF_Notes.pdf

Go Gophers!!

Needs to average 18.2 rbg to catch Lucas by end of regular season.

“Modern” record is Draymond. Biggest difference is quality of stats and shooting percentages. The year Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double the pace was so fast that it really takes away from his stats.

Second.

he would need only 4.8 rbs per game to reach 2nd and 17.33 per game to reach 1st.

based on the 21 games left. not including post season

Second.

he would need only 4.8 rbs per game to reach 2nd and 17.33 per game to reach 1st.

based on the 21 games left. not including post season

Ah yes, need to include at least the first game of the BTT.

“Modern” record is Draymond. Biggest difference is quality of stats and shooting percentages. The year Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double the pace was so fast that it really takes away from his stats.

Well, and number of games per season. And in the case of Jerry Lucas, number of seasons played.

Lucas set his record of 1,411 by playing only 3 seasons. And those seasons were 27, 27 and 28 games long.

17.2rpg over 82 games.

Wow.

Well, and number of games per season. And in the case of Jerry Lucas, number of seasons played.

Lucas set his record of 1,411 by playing only 3 seasons. And those seasons were 27, 27 and 28 games long.

17.2rpg over 82 games.

Wow.

Sure. But my example was the pace when Oscar Robertson played. More possessions per 48 across the league than the fastest team in the league when Russell Westbrook did it. I think about 25 possessions more per team, per game. Allows for a lot more rebounds, assists and points.

Haven’t looked into the pace between Lucas and Murphy. Not sure that info exists.

Big difference between now and then: No shot clock then

Per the U, Murphy moved into 8th all time in Big Ten history for leading rebounder.

The link below only lists stats from 1985-86, in which Murphy is 3rd, but the U notes that he rose to 8th last night. I hope at some point a definitive list is published so we can track.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-ten/leaders/trb-player-career.html

I'll try to keep this thread updated, and I'll also keep an eye on wisconsin's Happ as he is only 66 rebounds behind Murphy, and if they go deeper in the postseason than we do, Happ could catch and pass Murphy.

Go Gophers!!

And if we go farther he won’t. Why even bring that up? He is at least 4-6 games behind Murphy in rebounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

per the U:

MURPHY ON BIG TEN REBOUNDING CHART
Murphy continues to stretch his school‐record rebounding lead, as he now has 1,074 for his career. Murphy is one of
just 14 players in Big Ten history with 1,000 or more rebounds, and he ranks eighth all‐time. Indiana's Walt Bellamy is
seventh with 1,088 rebounds, while fellow Hoosier Alan Henderson stands sixth with 1,091 boards. Last season, Murphy
finished with a school‐record total of 361 rebounds.

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

MURPHY ON BIG TEN REBOUNDING CHART
Murphy continues to stretch his school‐record rebounding lead, as he now has 1,074 for his career. Murphy is one of
just 14 players in Big Ten history with 1,000 or more rebounds, and he ranks eighth all‐time. Indiana's Walt Bellamy is
seventh with 1,088 rebounds, while fellow Hoosier Alan Henderson stands sixth with 1,091 boards. Last season, Murphy
finished with a school‐record total of 361 rebounds.

Go Gophers!!
Hard to imagine that we will see a rebound machine the likes of him ever again.

Hard to imagine that we will see a rebound machine the likes of him ever again.
It’s very, very early, but Oturu is off to a good start. At 8.1 per game, he is ahead of Murphy’s freshman year rate of 8.0.

What a pleasure to watch Murphy play each game. We are sure going to miss him next year, but Oturu is developing very nicely. Get some more muscle on that young man and he can become quite a rebounder himself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree, Murphy is a super player. Hope we can compliment another big guy with DO to own the boards next year

Murphy has 58 more career rebounds than Ethan Happ in 8 less games. Also had 66 more in conference games (same amount of games).

I'd just be happy if he outrebounds Happ on Thursday.

I'd just be happy if he outrebounds Happ on Thursday.

I would love to see us use a lot of fouls from Omersa, Hurt, Stockman, Curry, et al. to send that 56% career FT shooter to the line a lot and frustrate the hell out of him. But don't use Murph's fouls. He needs to stay out there.

I would love to see us use a lot of fouls from Omersa, Hurt, Stockman, Curry, et al. to send that 56% career FT shooter to the line a lot and frustrate the hell out of him. But don't use Murph's fouls. He needs to stay out there.

Exactly.

per the U:

MURPHY PASSES DRAYMOND GREEN ON BIG TEN REBOUNDING CHART
Murphy continues to stretch his school‐record rebounding lead, as his 14 boards give him 1,104 for his career. Murphy is
one of just 14 players in Big Ten history with 1,000 or more rebounds, and he now ranks fourth all‐time. Murphy passed
Indiana's Alan Henderson (1,091 rebounds), and Michigan State's Gregory Kelser (1,092 rebounds) and Draymond Green
(1,096) this afternoon. Ohio State's Herb Williams ranks third with 1,111 boards. Last season, Murphy finished with a
school‐record total of 361 rebounds.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2019/1/12//Rutgers_Notes.pdf

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

MURPHY CLAIMS THIRD ON BIG TEN'S ALL‐TIME REBOUNDING CHART
Murphy continues to stretch his school‐record rebounding lead, as his 21 boards give him 1,127 for his career. Murphy is
one of just 14 players in Big Ten history with 1,000 or more rebounds, and he now ranks third all‐time. Murphy passed
Ohio State's Herb Williams (1,111 rebounds during 1977‐81) this evening. Purdue's Joe Barry Carroll (1976‐80) ranks
second with 1,148 boards and Ohio State's Jerry Lucas (1959‐62) is the all‐time leader with 1,411.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2019/1/19//PSU_Notes.pdf

Go Gophers!!

So Murphy will be 2nd all time in rebounding in the big ten.

Likely third or fourth all time in scoring for the Gophers. He has 1545 career points. Thompson has 1992, Burton 1800 and Breuer 1777. Sam Jacobson and Kevin McHale are the only other players over 1700 with 1709 and 1704 respectively.

If Murphy matches last seasons games played and continues his scoring average from this year, he’ll be at 1749 but I think he plays more games this year. Going to have to have some huge games to pass Burton.

Last edited:

Voshon Lenard scored 2,100 points as a gopher. I know they wiped his records out but man I feel bad as he was such a great player.

Voshon Lenard scored 2,100 points as a gopher. I know they wiped his records out but man I feel bad as he was such a great player.

Now there was a no-conscience shooter. Anytime he got two feet of space after crossing mid-court.

per the U:

MURPHY MOVES TO SECOND ON BIG TEN'S ALL‐TIME REBOUNDING CHART
Murphy continues to stretch his school‐record rebounding lead, as his 11 rebounds give him 1,150 for his career.
Murphy is one of just 14 players in Big Ten history with 1,000 or more rebounds, and he now ranks second all‐time.
Murphy passed Purdue's Joe Barry Carroll (1,148 rebounds during 1976‐80) for second this afternoon, and Ohio State's
Jerry Lucas (1959‐62) is the all‐time leader with 1,411.

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom