Starter at LT for bowl game?

McPeePants

Reaction score
Any guesses? Wonder if Schlueter or Andries gets the call. Dickson (juco transfer) is redshirting this year — does he play for the first time? Most recent depth chart had Quinn Oseland and Kyle Sassack behind Greene.

I would think or hope that any FR or red-shirt who has not played 4 games yet will be on deck for the bowl game. Depending on how many players are (may be) suspended, and at which positions, depth could be an issue.

Any guesses? Wonder if Schlueter or Andries gets the call. Dickson (juco transfer) is redshirting this year — does he play for the first time? Most recent depth chart had Quinn Oseland and Kyle Sassack behind Greene.

My guess is Schlueter plays, possibly Andries which then makes Dunlap the starting RG.

Dickson is ineligible to play this year and likely wont have traded back in time to play on the 26th.

Wouldn't be surprised to see either Schlueter or Andries at LT. A lot depends on where Dunlap is in his development. If they feel comfortable starting Dunlap at RG, he'll get the call, 'cause he's likely slotted in as a G next year, and he's only appeared in three games so far this year (so he won't burn his redshirt).

At this point, best guess is Dunlap, 'cause I think the staff was probably happy with the three-TE set with Schlueter.

JTG

It won’t be Cashman.
With our luck the six suspended players will all be backup O line guys.
I wonder if Andries ends up at center next year, with Dunlap taking his spot. They want a smart kid making the line calls and he is supposed to be very bright. A tailgating friend who coached against his team in HS told me that with the added weight he has lost some of the quickness that made him so great in HS. He does not think he has the foot speed now to play tackle. Who knows?

I wonder if Andries ends up at center next year, with Dunlap taking his spot. They want a smart kid making the line calls and he is supposed to be very bright. A tailgating friend who coached against his team in HS told me that with the added weight he has lost some of the quickness that made him so great in HS. He does not think he has the foot speed now to play tackle. Who knows?

I don't "know," but it sure looked to me like Andries had no trouble getting to the second level and blocking in space, so I saw nothing this year that would appear to disqualify him as a T. But since Olson already has experience starting at C for the Gophers, I doubt Andries moves to C. My guess is he stays right where he is, or at the most moves to LG.

JTG

It won’t be Cashman.
With our luck the six suspended players will all be backup O line guys.

Dunlap will take his spot at RG next year but it's because Andries is going to LG and Olson is moving to center.

Dunlap will take his spot at RG next year but it's because Andries is going to LG and Olson is moving to center.

That's the way I see. OR Andries stays where he is, and Dunlap goes to LG. But that would give you two new starters on the left side next year. Depends on if the staff feels comfortable with that.

I think Andries is capable of playing T, but they don't need him there. Dickson is eligible next year, and he's likely be the LT.

Is it worth moving Andries to LT for the bowl game, just so Dunlap can get his first start? That's probably the best way to get Dunlap into the game, if that's what the staff wants to do.

JTG

That's the way I see. OR Andries stays where he is, and Dunlap goes to LG. But that would give you two new starters on the left side next year. Depends on if the staff feels comfortable with that.

I think Andries is capable of playing T, but they don't need him there. Dickson is eligible next year, and he's likely be the LT.

Is it worth moving Andries to LT for the bowl game, just so Dunlap can get his first start? That's probably the best way to get Dunlap into the game, if that's what the staff wants to do.

JTG

I agree with you in that I think Andries is a bit of a Josh Campion type (although Blaise has more pure talent) in that you could really pencil him in anywhere on the OL and probably be fine. He's better as a guard than as a tackle though. Dickson for sure has the inside track on being starting LT next year.

As far as the bowl game, honestly, whichever route they choose, I'm fine with.

Just really want to see Dunlap at one of the guards. Would make sense to play him at RG, since he has come in at that position before.

Not sure if it makes sense to play Andries at LT, if that is not his future position. But it might be ... don't know.

We will have an open battle at Center and at LT, with multiple guys competing, and just not sure how it's going to end up.

If we have to rotate Dunlap in at RG on some of the drives, fine. Better than nothing.

Just really want to see Dunlap at one of the guards. Would make sense to play him at RG, since he has come in at that position before.

Not sure if it makes sense to play Andries at LT, if that is not his future position. But it might be ... don't know.

We will have an open battle at Center and at LT, with multiple guys competing, and just not sure how it's going to end up.

If we have to rotate Dunlap in at RG on some of the drives, fine. Better than nothing.

So you want to see Dunlap come in but then don't know where you want to put the current starter there (and arguably the best OL we currently have)?

So you want to see Dunlap come in but then don't know where you want to put the current starter there (and arguably the best OL we currently have)?

Rotate means Dunlap plays while Andries sits. Or you could do a three way rotation, if Dunlap can play right and left guards, then each plays two sits one.

Why is Dickson not eligible this year again? I thought he was a JUCO transfer.

Makes some sense to get players game action were they haven't played much, or at all this year, to develop some depth at the various line positions. I thought Kill and company did a fairly good job of this during his brief tenure.

Currently Andries and Faalele make a pretty good tandem at RG and RT. Moving Andries to tackle and inserting Dunlop really messes up the continuity of the entire unit for the bowl game. I'd rather see them leave the 4 who have played their spots since the tOSU game stay in those spots and find an OL to play the LT spot out of the rest of the guys. Lets see if Oseland, Schlueter or someone else can handle the LT spot for the bowl game.
As for next year, again I would say that because Andries and Faalele really developed into a strong tandem, why not leave them together on the right side(or maybe even flip them both over to the left side, but keeping them together would be a preference either way). Then have Olson, Dunlop, Schmitz and others compete for the LG and Center positions. At LT you have Dickson who can battle with Oseland (assuming he returns), Schlueter, York and Sassack to be the starter.
Just because Dunlop came in as a RG doesn't mean he has to play that spot only. Look at Andries, he came in as a tackle but has moved inside to RG and done well.

Oseland is transferring so it won't be him.

Why is Dickson not eligible this year again? I thought he was a JUCO transfer.

You're right, he is a JUCO transfer, and is apparently being redshirted. I haven't run across anything that says he's ineligible or injured, but I don't think he's seen the field this year.

It would appear the staff ranks him below Schlueter. That's surprising, since it would appear he was supposed to be the heir-apparent at LT, as he was ranked the #4 JUCO T by ESPN.

JTG

I thought I recalled reading that Dickson was being redshirted this year so he could get his academics in order. Obviously playing in 1 game doesn’t burn a redshirt, but then why hasn’t he appeared all year? And would we want him now with no game experience? Probably not

I thought I recalled reading that Dickson was being redshirted this year so he could get his academics in order. Obviously playing in 1 game doesn’t burn a redshirt, but then why hasn’t he appeared all year? And would we want him now with no game experience? Probably not

I hope he has gotten his grades in order...if not, I hope they show him the door. I don't want to have to rely on a player next season who may or may not be eligible on a week to week basis due to grades. Odd that he hasn't played at all... his academics must have been in a really bad place or maybe he was inujred.

I hope he has gotten his grades in order...if not, I hope they show him the door. I don't want to have to rely on a player next season who may or may not be eligible on a week to week basis due to grades. Odd that he hasn't played at all... his academics must have been in a really bad place or maybe he was inujred.

Yeah don't take me at my word, could easily be wrong!

Yeah don't take me at my word, could easily be wrong!

No you are right, now that you mention that I do remember something about his academics being a reason. I had just forgotten about the whole thing, I just assumed he had played in a game or two this year on special teams or something. I didn't realize he has yet to see the field.

No you are right, now that you mention that I do remember something about his academics being a reason. I had just forgotten about the whole thing, I just assumed he had played in a game or two this year on special teams or something. I didn't realize he has yet to see the field.

The official Gopher website has him down for no appearances. However, there was another player (OL John Michael Schmitz) who I couldn't find on the participation list, but apparently appeared in all 12 games, according to his roster bio page.

So who knows?

But if I had access to the staff, first thing I'm asking is what's up with Dickson, and who's starting at LT in the bowl game ... and why.

JTG

Here is a golden opportunity for an OL or two to showcase themselves for next season in the bowl game.

With Greene and Weyler graduating, Oseland transferring, and Dickson on precarious footing, are the Gophers running a little thin on OL?

Maybe they'd go after another JUCO guy. I don't think they have a chance on Hookfin. Lots of teams are after OLs/

First, the Bowl game. LT is the issue that needs fixing. The best fix to me would be to use Sassack. He is listed at least in the last 2 depth charts as the alternate LT (along with Oseland who is apparently not an option). The coaches thought he was the Next Man Up. Sassack has 2 yrs in the program and has been working at LT. It would also help to play Schlueter at TE right next to him.

The other OL positions ain't broke so let them continue to work their magic. Play Dunlop at RG where he is the alternate whenever deemed appropriate.

Next, for next yr. The coaches (PJ in interviews) have said they are looking forward to Dickson being able to help at LT. Seems they have confidence he will be eligible. They obviously know more than I so have to assume Dickson will probably be competing at LT. Probably competing with Sassack, Schlueter, York, and possibly Guedet (FR long shot).

At C the competition would be between Olson, Schmitz, and Boe. My guess is that Olson would win based on 2 yr OL including 6 games at C.

Assuming Olson goes to C, Andries and Dunlop would probably be the 2 guards. RT is pretty well set with Faalele.

Last edited:

This maybe premature speculation until we know more about the suspensions. If they aren't practicing, they shouldn't be playing. happy made some pretty good points if the OL isn't affected. I may be wrong, but I thought Dickson was ineligible this year because of a problem with his transcripts and not grades. I though he just needed fall semester to be squared away. With the scholarship situation he must must be doing well and looking good in practice. He has been practicing, hasn't he? Several mysteries here.

You're right, he is a JUCO transfer, and is apparently being redshirted. I haven't run across anything that says he's ineligible or injured, but I don't think he's seen the field this year.

It would appear the staff ranks him below Schlueter. That's surprising, since it would appear he was supposed to be the heir-apparent at LT, as he was ranked the #4 JUCO T by ESPN.

JTG

Dickson had some academic stuff to clear up or something along those lines and has taken an academic-based redshirt year.

I buy that something just went wrong with Dickson in terms of classes and he needed a semester. I fully expect him to compete in the spring for the starting LT spot. My question is, if he just needed a semester ... do the coaches have any desire to try him out for the bowl game, could that even be a thing? They have 15 practices to coach him up ... would obviously be a lot easier if he has been practicing all year (even scout team). If he hasn't been practicing, then it's probably not going to happen.

I really would like to know the OC's thoughts on this 6OL "TE" position that Schlueter has been playing. I don't mind the idea, moreso for running plays. Seattle did some nice things against the Vikings using 6 OL, and the guy they had in there as the sixth guy was usually lined up right on the line in a traditional TE position (as opposed to, I have often seen Schlueter lined up back off the line). If that is going to be a regular position moving forward, maybe they want Schlueter to be that guy .... or maybe it was just an experiment.

This spring is going to be huge for some guys to show what they can do, or else risk getting buried on the depth chart for a while. Other than Faalele at RT, I don't think any of the positions are particularly settled, other than I think they (the coaches) want Andries and Dunlap to start, somewhere. Would be nice for Olson to start too ... but don't want to automatically shut out young guys like Schmitz, Boe, and or any other guards behind Andries and Dunlap (do we have any others? Or are all our other young guys tackles??)

EDIT: 2017/2018 commits at OG and OC other than Dunlap and Andries --

2017 JM Schmitz 3* 0.8412 (247) -- 2019 will be a redshirt soph
2017 Ben Davis 3* 0.8128 (247) -- JUCO, 2019 will be a redshirt junior

2018 Austin Beier 3* 0.8594 (247) -- 2019 will be a redshirt fresh
2018 Nathan Boe 3* 0.8234 (247) -- 2019 will be a redshirt fresh

Last edited:

Top Bottom