Great memories of this year

Gold Rush

Reaction score
Some people on the message boards still think this was a mediocre year, but to me this was a big year - where the ship was righted and there are signs of big things to come.
Highlights include the big Antoine Winfield interception vs. Fresno St. securing the win, gutty victories over Indiana and Purdue when many people had given up on this team
but I am sure the victory over Wisconsin was the highlight for many including me. Watching that game with a couple buddies and thinking for most of the game that something bad would happen
and Wisconsin would pull it out like they always seem to do, then realizing we might have a real chance.....and then realizing Wisconsin had NO chance.
Singing at the top of our lungs to the tune of 'Oh my darling Clementine"

"Hail the Gophers Hail the Gophers
With your tails up in the air
University of Wisconsin
You can kiss what's under there."

I like the progress of many of the young Gophers, especially on the offensive line. Right now the offense looks like it will be very good next year and we are shaping up very good. It wasn't that long ago we couldn't even have quality Spring practices because we did not have enough quality offensive linemen, the scandal which decimated our defensive backfield and not a single quality QB on the roster. Looking forward to this year's recruiting class which looks like it will be a big haul in several key areas. I am more optimistic about the state of the Gopher football team than I have in some time!

1) Wisconsin
2) Fresno St.
3) The general feeling that maybe, just maybe, the tide is turning

JTG

1) Wisconsin
2) Fresno St.
3) The general feeling that maybe, just maybe, the tide is turning

JTG

Yeah Rockfish I just hope it isn't 2033 before we beat Wisconsin again! haha. Rounding out a solid recruiting class is key to continuing the momentum. Also hoping for a good showing in the Quick Lane Bowl. Hopefully the buzz will continue to grow heading into next year!

Spending the weekend with my son in Lincoln for the Gopher/Nebraska game. The Gophers' performance sucked, but nothing better than a weekend creating memories with my son, talking Gophers, hanging with 'Skers fans, great fall weather, etc.

Outside of that, obviously the wisconsin game. Everything about that game.

Go Gophers!!

Spending the weekend with my son in Lincoln for the Gopher/Nebraska game. The Gophers' performance sucked, but nothing better than a weekend creating memories with my son, talking Gophers, hanging with 'Skers fans, great fall weather, etc.

Outside of that, obviously the wisconsin game. Everything about that game.

Go Gophers!!

Yes, yes, should have mentioned the customary attendance of the home opener with my oldest son. Always a highlight of any season.

You guys have me thinking about a Nebraska pilgrimage in the future.

JTG

Other than the obvious Wisconsin game, the highlight for me was the Purdue game. Coming off a dismal game against Illinois, a game we should have been able to win handily but played horribly in, to then step up against a Purdue team that had beaten tOSU and Iowa in the past 3 games was incredible. And not just getting the Dub against Purdue, but how we dominated every facet of the game. Add in the drama of Rossi's debut as DC and shutting Purdue's offense down just added to the overall excitement and satisfaction.

I'm really excited about next season and how this 2019 class looks to fill some gaps and take the team to another level. I'm even willing to put up with a few weeks of hearing how we're the ___th youngest team in NCAA because when the light switch does finally go off, we will have something special to watch and cheer for.

SkiUMah!

Other than the obvious Wisconsin game, the highlight for me was the Purdue game. Coming off a dismal game against Illinois, a game we should have been able to win handily but played horribly in, to then step up against a Purdue team that had beaten tOSU and Iowa in the past 3 games was incredible. And not just getting the Dub against Purdue, but how we dominated every facet of the game. Add in the drama of Rossi's debut as DC and shutting Purdue's offense down just added to the overall excitement and satisfaction.

I'm really excited about next season and how this 2019 class looks to fill some gaps and take the team to another level. I'm even willing to put up with a few weeks of hearing how we're the ___th youngest team in NCAA because when the light switch does finally go off, we will have something special to watch and cheer for.

SkiUMah!

Yes! I came back from California for the Purdue and Northwestern games and feared a pair of beat-downs after that Illinois debacle. Yelling MAO on a cold day while the Gophers dominated was an experience I won't forget. The surprise snowfall in the 2nd half was a bonus for me. Purdue acted like a California team that just wanted to get back on the plane while the Gophers seemed to love running through the flakes

SkiUMah!

That Purdue game was the turnaround of the year. Defensive coordinator Rossi literally saved the season in that game. Hopefully we point to this years from now as the move that really turned it around!

I yelled super loud 3 times this year. I yelled loud a lot of other times, but these three stick out.

Antoine Winfield Jr INT vs Fresno
Rashod Bateman 67 yard TD vs. Indiana
Demetrius Douglas 69 yard punt return vs. wisconsin

Some favorite moments:
1. Gimme the Axe man! Gosh that feeling watching the game when you know they've got it won!
2. Sitting in the stands with the 12th man - the weather - and watching the defense rise up against a Purdue team that didn't want to be out in that cold.
3. Bateman's catch against Indiana - Indiana's clawing back and the sense of doom that it created, then the suddenness of the comeback - fantastic!

3 best from TCF only:

1. Cashman fumble recovery vs Purdue
2. Winfield pick in the end zone vs Fresno
3. Free Philly Steak from Jax in West End Zone vs Iowa for redeeming my "we ran out of water" vouchers during the Miami, OH game.

took my first trip to wisconsin this year. A memory I will not soon forget. The Douglas Punt TD hushed the crowd and you could hear some faint gopher fans cheering. By the end of the game, that was all you could hear. That and bucky's 5th quarter, which fine, but get off the field so we can chop some goal posts.

Douglas punt return was the on the field highlight, road trip to Lincoln was the season experience highlight. Other than the game itself, it was a fun time. Overall season was disappointing. Should be 8-4 heading to upper tier bowl.

I was pretty down on the team mid-season, but was left with generally a positive outlook on the team by the end of the year. Kudos to PJ for having the guts to fire Smith. What a difference that made. Probably have at least 1, if not 2 more wins if Smith was gone the whole season. Promising young offense to look forward to.

I was pretty down on the team mid-season, but was left with generally a positive outlook on the team by the end of the year. Kudos to PJ for having the guts to fire Smith. What a difference that made. Probably have at least 1, if not 2 more wins if Smith was gone the whole season. Promising young offense to look forward to.

I agree, this move should not be taken lightly. If Robb Smith stays this team most likely gets blown out by both Purdue and Wisconsin, does not make the bowl and we are having much different conversations on the state of the team right now. Instead of a pessimistic outlook we have a very (cautiously) optimistic outlook heading into next year. I think everyone is in agreement that this team should be explosive on offense, possibly the best in years but questions about the defense will remain but with a much higher outlook. You can be certain that recruiting was aided immensely by this.

This was the biggest move of the season bar none and it has already paid off bigtime. Looking for further dividends next year and years to come.

Last edited:

Top Bottom