End of an era at The Barn: Alexandria Aces perform for the last time

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Their number of participants was way down compared to previous years, though I imagine that has to do with the pending culmination of the Aces, due to the retirement of their leader.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Always one of the best halftime shows.

Litchfield Dribblin’ Dragons still exist?

Both my sisters were in the Aces as well as tons of my friends

After 30 years of tricks, central Minnesota’s performance basketball team dazzling its final crowds

The Alexandria Aces were coming off the Williams Arena floor at the University of Minnesota on Dec. 11 to a standing ovation from the Gophers crowd.

The Aces have become household names at The Barn by performing 50 halftime shows there over the course of 27 consecutive years. This one, though, held special significance due to the fact that run was coming to an end during that men’s game against North Florida.

The Aces, a performance basketball team from Alexandria comprised of boys and girls ages 5-12, are in their 30th season, but this will be their last. The program is in the midst of its farewell tour as it once again travels all over the country to some of the biggest men’s and women’s basketball venues on the college and professional levels.

“After this long, it’s OK for me to be done with it,” Aces founder and head coach Larry Novotny said. “As far as the program itself, I hate to see the kids not experience these incredible things they’ve been able to see and do. On the other hand, they’re so busy that you don’t want to burn them out and take away their love of the game. With the numbers down, it’s just something that can’t sustain itself anymore.”

Novotny writes a script that he reads to the crowd at their performances. He admits that the words he wrote to speak to the Gophers crowd carried some extra emotions. He had about 30 different people approach him that night telling him the Aces can’t end.

“We’ve been there a lot and hopefully been a part of Williams Arena’s history to a degree,” he said. “The crowds there are always so awesome to us.”

https://duluthnewstribune.com/sport...entral-minnesotas-performance-basketball-team

Go Gophers!!

I saw that the halftime performance tomorrow is the Jamestown Stars. Is this similar to the Aces?

Definitely will miss them. The coach seems to have a pretty good bead on the challenges that kids have with so many activities and options though. Something skill and precision like that has to take a lot of time, and by extension either be too much for the kids or limit what other things they can do.

A little different, but I hope the Fargo Acro Team doesn't follow suit. That would be cause for official mourning.

Top Bottom