Washington Denies Transfer Rumors

One way or another, we should know the definitive answer when the Gophers take the floor for warmups vs. North Carolina A&T on the 21st. I'm pretty sure finals will be over by then, so if he's moving on mid-year that would be the point in time we no longer see him.

Last edited:

That'd be crazy if he left mid-season. I could see next year with Carr becoming eligible, but this season.........

if I were IW, I’d deny the rumors too even if it were true. I don’t think anyone is going to say, “Yes, I’m transferring.” during a postgame press conference.

^This.

Not saying it was a dumb question, but... it was a pointless question. You were only going to get one answer to the question regardless what the truth is.

If you wanted to do your job in a respectful, useful manner rather than try to grandstand and draw attention to your rumor, you would've asked the 19/20 year old kid the question 1 on 1, rather than putting him on the spot in a press conference, when there was a 0.0% chance he was going to answer any way other than what he did. Grow up

Spot on.

"IW you just had your best game as a Gopher and directly accounted for more than 50% of the team's points! Any thoughts about transferring?"

This sounds more like a question Fred Hoiberg would ask than a Gopher beat reporter!

In the news today, Gopher fans are still overly sensitive about our local media.

This isn't a sensitivity thing. This thread isn't Gopher fans whining that the media is ripping on the team, this is just people saying it was kind of a tacky question to ask a college basketball player after his best game as a Gopher. I don't see anyone really being overly sensitive.

Bush league to ask that question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GL now has the response on film. All the doubters can now "suck it." IW, has now directly addressed the elephant in the room. All is well. It's ironic that GL has more balls than the complainers in this thread. I suggest y'all pull your nads out of the pocket you have somewhere between your kidney and liver.
@GopherLady, thanks for addressing the elephant in the room.

I like GL, but I think it was a silly question. I can't really see how it would take courage to ask that question.

This is IW's first year of dealing with the press and seems not right to put an amateur athlete on the spot like this. Now that this question is out in the public, how will it affect his game, relationship with his teammates, relationship with coaches?
Just seems like asking the question at a press conference and then posting video of it on the gopher's main message board is not fair to a 20 year old young man who is trying to find the best path for himself. Would agree with others who have said a 1-on-1 question would have been the better way to go.

The scariest thing is, if Isaiah ends up transferring (I hope he doesn't), there will be goobers on this board lining up to blame Nadine for it.

IW, has now directly addressed the elephant in the room

Your post is almost as sad as the question GL asked IW. What video? Suck it?

There was no elephant in the room... and his answer to the question is completely meaningless.

This is IW's first year of dealing with the press and seems not right to put an amateur athlete on the spot like this. Now that this question is out in the public, how will it affect his game, relationship with his teammates, relationship with coaches?
Just seems like asking the question at a press conference and then posting video of it on the gopher's main message board is not fair to a 20 year old young man who is trying to find the best path for himself. Would agree with others who have said a 1-on-1 question would have been the better way to go.
You act like IW is a delicate piece of China. Goodnight, he grew up on the streets of New York. The kid can take it.

You act like IW is a delicate piece of China. Goodnight, he grew up on the streets of New York. The kid can take it.

Yes, IW is tough and can probably handle it. But the question is like your wife asking you if you want the hot neighbor lady. Are you answering anything but NO? Unlikely.

Where did the speculation come from? He has a few rough games, the coach gets on him so people on here start speculating he'll just take the easy way out and leave instead of fighting through it and getting better? We're asking this based on a few comments on a message board??

I have no problem with him being asked the question if there's legitimate reason to ask, if he's said something to his teammates or coaches that he's not happy, but the way it was done was garbage.

You ask him after a win where he plays his best game of the year? Pull him aside if the opportunity is there or do it in a private setting. She knows enough people there where that can happen. From his side, it probably came out of nowhere. None of us know him personally, and he may not even be aware that his "body language" may hint on being unhappy. That's what Pitino is pulling him aside to talk about. I hope his performance against North Florida is a trend, it looked like he felt comfortable in his role for the first time all season.

The scariest thing is, if Isaiah ends up transferring (I hope he doesn't), there will be goobers on this board lining up to blame Nadine for it.

If IW ends up transferring, doesn't that make her question even more ridiculous? (PS I like IW and hope he has a great career here...and I like Nadine's work).

Last edited:

Yes, IW is tough and can probably handle it. But the question is like your wife asking you if you want the hot neighbor lady. Are you answering anything but NO? Unlikely.
Still...when the question is legit, she better d@mn well ask the question cause otherwise you're shagging the neighbor with no one caring. Ask the question. See how good of a liar a person is or see if the person is telling the truth. Don't just avoid the issue.

Indeed.
But, I think IW answered honestly. He wasn't flustered by the question. He's good for the year and beyond. He's going to be fine.

Im sure Isaiah can handle it. Still has been put in a difficult, unnecessary position in my opinion.

Anyway, this would certainly be an interesting discussion for a college journalisn ethics class. Or maybe a panel of journalists discuss what they think. WWRD - what would Reusse do.

Im sure Isaiah can handle it. Still has been put in a difficult, unnecessary position in my opinion.

Anyway, this would certainly be an interesting discussion for a college journalisn ethics class. Or maybe a panel of journalists discuss what they think. WWRD - what would Reusse do.

It is not a matter of if he can handle it, it is disrespectful to the guy that just had the Gopher game of his life. Let him soak in the limelight for at least a few hours, let him be the star, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is not a matter of if he can handle it, it is disrespectful to the guy that just had the Gopher game of his life. Let him soak in the limelight for at least a few hours, let him be the star, etc...

Agreed.

That’s not any scarier than the fact that if he ended up transferring some people would point to it as evidence he was thinking about it the whole time. When, in fact, it wouldn’t be evidence of that.

Why should the press not be allowed to ask it? The Gopher fans on here constantly complain about how the rest of the state views the Gophers and it's fanbase and then a bunch of you cry that the press should only ask the players how much fun they had during the game and what their favorite color is. Jeesh.

I'll bet you don't find any respected journalist that feels any part of their responsibility is to let players bask in the limelight. That is should be the way it is in high school, but not sure at the college level that stuff is the concern of the press.

I like the question, You’ll obviously get a denial, however when dealing with most people who have considered it, you’ll get a denial with a wry smile. Or some tell to that effect.

I'll bet you don't find any respected journalist that feels any part of their responsibility is to let players bask in the limelight. That is should be the way it is in high school, but not sure at the college level that stuff is the concern of the press.

That appears to be the issue that rears its head constantly. Are these young men kids who should be treated like kids or are they essentially adults and professionals subject to the scrutiny of any other public figure. I don't think there is an automatic correct response, although I would lean toward treating them more as kids than professionals and public figures.

The issue gets even more complex with the exposure of club basketball and social media. Some of these guys, while kids, may be far better prepared to handle media scrutiny than most of us.

I can assure that Nadine isn't trying to "make a name for herself" like some suggested. She has received credible information that led to this question and she has received it from multiple people over a period of time. I can promise that there are local reporters that would have tweeted this info out without giving Jelly a chance to even respond.

I agree that I wouldn't have expected Jelly to respond in any other way than he did, regardless of his intent.

I love the way he played that game and if we can continue to get that level of engagement from him (13 assists/0 turnovers obviously isn't something anyone can keep up) than it's huge for the rest of the season. His ability to push the pace of play is unmatched in our recent history.

Go Jelly!!

Top Bottom