Washington Denies Transfer Rumors

[/B]

That appears to be the issue that rears its head constantly. Are these young men kids who should be treated like kids or are they essentially adults and professionals subject to the scrutiny of any other public figure. I don't think there is an automatic correct response, although I would lean toward treating them more as kids than professionals and public figures.

The issue gets even more complex with the exposure of club basketball and social media. Some of these guys, while kids, may be far better prepared to handle media scrutiny than most of us.

It's a tough question for sure, but D-1 sports seems to want it both ways. The schools and players sure aren't turning down any of the money or notoriety that indicate a professionalism, but want us to remember that these are just kids as they cash our thousand $$$ checks for our season tickets. A little disingenuous.

This is IW's first year of dealing with the press and seems not right to put an amateur athlete on the spot like this. Now that this question is out in the public, how will it affect his game, relationship with his teammates, relationship with coaches?
Just seems like asking the question at a press conference and then posting video of it on the gopher's main message board is not fair to a 20 year old young man who is trying to find the best path for himself. Would agree with others who have said a 1-on-1 question would have been the better way to go.

If one question from a media member (one which he answered properly from a PR standpoint, I might add) has that much of a negative effect on his game and his relationships with players/coaches then he's pretty mentally weak and those relationships weren't very strong in the first place.

I'd bet most of the players aren't even aware that the question was asked, and that IW won't even remember the question in a few days.

Indeed.
But, I think IW answered honestly. He wasn't flustered by the question. He's good for the year and beyond. He's going to be fine.

Players and coaches say one thing and do another all the time. I don't think asking the question and him answering it revealed anything.

If somebody posted a poll. I’m pretty sure almost everyone would vote they’d answer “No” too.

trust me, I would never, ever, ask a question based on rumors from GopherHole. I asked the question based on information from real sources (notice I used the plural form of sources)

Really love everything you do for the program, but I see two issues with the question:

1. Given you're talking about real sources, I'd assume you've heard something from people with close access to the team. But from IW's perspective, he now has to question everyone - who's the person he's close to that would leak something of that nature? Was it a manager? Was it a coach? Was it a close teammate like Coffey, McBrayer. Your question to him gives off the perception that someone close to him has said something behind his back without him knowing...

2. Whoever did mention something to you has now likely lost your trust. Do you think they're going to give you more tidbits on the team in the future? Likely not without you gaining a little of that trust back.

I don't think asking the question and him answering it revealed anything.

After next game ask; Is Carr outperforming you in practice? If so, are you prepared to be a (4) year back-up?

SARCASM, PLEASE DON'T.

MennoSota is living in a fantasy land... almost everyone agrees it was a stupid and meaningless question and answer.

Last edited:

Im sure Isaiah can handle it. Still has been put in a difficult, unnecessary position in my opinion.

Anyway, this would certainly be an interesting discussion for a college journalisn ethics class. Or maybe a panel of journalists discuss what they think. WWRD - what would Reusse do.

Reusse wouldn't ask him. He would just tweet the "breaking news" that he's transferring to troll everyone.

[/B]

That appears to be the issue that rears its head constantly. Are these young men kids who should be treated like kids or are they essentially adults and professionals subject to the scrutiny of any other public figure. I don't think there is an automatic correct response, although I would lean toward treating them more as kids than professionals and public figures.

The issue gets even more complex with the exposure of club basketball and social media. Some of these guys, while kids, may be far better prepared to handle media scrutiny than most of us.

Agree with this. This is the heart of the matter.

If you wanted to do your job in a respectful, useful manner rather than try to grandstand and draw attention to your rumor, you would've asked the 19/20 year old kid the question 1 on 1, rather than putting him on the spot in a press conference, when there was a 0.0% chance he was going to answer any way other than what he did. Grow up

Nailed it

I wonder if his Jelly Fam friend wants to transfer here. Unhappy at Villanova. 5 star.

How did gopher fans get such a collective complex about media?

Patrick Reusse did it. It's mostly his fault.

Complex or not, it doesn't take much of a conspiracy theorist to see the hyper negative approach the media have toward college teams here compared to other places in the country. Unfortunately for the media, that clouds how most fans hear or read anything they say or write, whether reasonable or not.

Patrick Reusse did it. It's mostly his fault.

Complex or not, it doesn't take much of a conspiracy theorist to see the hyper negative approach the media have toward college teams here compared to other places in the country. Unfortunately for the media, that clouds how most fans hear or read anything they say or write, whether reasonable or not.

I think a lot of it is major market media. They cover pros and aren’t new or younger reporters. Not afraid to ruffle feathers. The same way they handle the Vikings or Wolves they do the Gophers. Makes it harder once college kids.

Top Bottom