Washington Denies Transfer Rumors

I'm not a fan of the question because I think he's going to deny it either way

This. The question is worthless because there are no real rumors and he would never answer yes if it was something he was considering.

Let's just enjoy that he finally played like the guy we thought we were getting when he committed!

Maybe this is modern journalism, I certainly don't agree with it. Do you really think you're going to get an honest answer to a personal question at an interview in front of the media? We know exactly as much now as we did before the interview...total speculation...but like others have said, it keeps social media going...

What, Gophernation is now a jealous girlfriend?

Advice to Washington: Be more subtle when talking about other college teams you like, Dont criticize our appearance or compliment us by comparison, don't withdraw even more, just talk about it and improve communications, Reassure us, Set Boundaries, help us build our self esteem. If you want the relationship to survive you have to support us, without antagonizing us and making things worse. And at the same time you have to protect yourself emotionally, keep living your life and avoid getting sucked into the negative spiral.

LOL - Sheesh

Last edited:

This is great news....no great need to recruit another lead guard for next season. Sounds like he is between 100 and 110% committed to being a goph next season

This, exactly. I remember Pitino talking in similar fashion about Mason as an underclassman. I'm sure Pitino has had a personal conversation with IW where he was complimentary.

Also don't forget that just a week ago Pitino was basically defending IW when people were asking about his body language. Pitino said he gets the criticism but he thinks it was overblown.

When Pitino was on with Barreiro he basically acknowledged that it wasn't a good thing. Certainly didn't make it seem like it was the end of the world, which it isn't, but said he needs to get better in that area. Barreiro said something about the announcers mentioning the bad body language and Pitino said that it's good that other people are noticing so that IW can be aware that the criticism about his body language isn't just coming from coach. Again, didn't sound like he thought it was a huge problem, but certainly acknowledged that it was an issue.

As far as the question itself, I think it was odd timing, but a valid question being that he was a somewhat highly ranked recruit who is not from here and has not been getting consistent playing time. It's not unusual for a player like that to consider transferring. And if Carr would have gotten the waiver I'm guessing IW's PT would have taken the biggest hit, and we weren't that far from such a situation.

What a bizarre and embarrassing question to ask a kid in a post game news conference

Terrible question. Even worse timing after the kid gets a 15 assist double double. Wow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I haven't had a chance to read even 1/2 these replies, but just to quick comment...trust me, I would never, ever, ask a question based on rumors from GopherHole. I asked the question based on information from real sources (notice I used the plural form of sources) I know you'd all rather go back and forth 100 times and bicker, I'd rather just ask a fair question. If there was a lot of speculation about me, I'd want to be able to use my voice and answer a question. There are a lot of people who wanted to know the answer (if he was able to be truthful or not) and I wouldn't have been doing my job if I didn't ask it.

With that being said, I don't think anyone wants Washington to fail and transfer, I think we all want to see games like we did from him last night.

These shots at Nadine seem unnecessary. Everyone can have an opinion on whether it was a good question or not, and a message board is a great spot to debate that. That said, I dont see the benefit in either assuming her only sources are anonymous posters or inputting some kind of improper motivation. Thanks for all you do Nadine.

These shots at Nadine seem unnecessary. Everyone can have an opinion on whether it was a good question or not, and a message board is a great spot to debate that. That said, I dont see the benefit in either assuming her only sources are anonymous posters or inputting some kind of improper motivation. Thanks for all you do Nadine.

It was a mildly unfortunate question but time to move on. My concerns about the team are more about eligibility for next semester (no rumors to propagate) Everyone STUDY HARD and nothing else!

Hmm. Why would he consider transferring. I mean, after starting games last year, he's only essentially become the 3rd-string point guard at the moment. On top of that, we were fighting to bring in Carr for PG...and now Carr will play next year, potentially ahead of him. And his coach routinely throws him under the bus in public, and when he has the best game of his career, his coach just pretty much stops the bus, backs it up, yells at him and moves forward again.

It was a mildly unfortunate question but time to move on. My concerns about the team are more about eligibility for next semester (no rumors to propagate) Everyone STUDY HARD and nothing else!

Except for Mr. Stull. Studying is his basketball kryptonite.

I haven't had a chance to read even 1/2 these replies, but just to quick comment...trust me, I would never, ever, ask a question based on rumors from GopherHole. I asked the question based on information from real sources (notice I used the plural form of sources) I know you'd all rather go back and forth 100 times and bicker, I'd rather just ask a fair question. If there was a lot of speculation about me, I'd want to be able to use my voice and answer a question. There are a lot of people who wanted to know the answer (if he was able to be truthful or not) and I wouldn't have been doing my job if I didn't ask it.

With that being said, I don't think anyone wants Washington to fail and transfer, I think we all want to see games like we did from him last night.

Rumors =/= sources

Regardless of where they came from. Rumors =/= sources

There are a lot of people who wanted to know the answer (if he was able to be truthful or not) and I wouldn't have been doing my job if I didn't ask it.

If you wanted to do your job in a respectful, useful manner rather than try to grandstand and draw attention to your rumor, you would've asked the 19/20 year old kid the question 1 on 1, rather than putting him on the spot in a press conference, when there was a 0.0% chance he was going to answer any way other than what he did. Grow up

Very fair. But a lot of us aren’t privy to sources that you have and only see the speculation on here. You have to understand that.

Hmm. Why would he consider transferring. I mean, after starting games last year, he's only essentially become the 3rd-string point guard at the moment. On top of that, we were fighting to bring in Carr for PG...and now Carr will play next year, potentially ahead of him. And his coach routinely throws him under the bus in public, and when he has the best game of his career, his coach just pretty much stops the bus, backs it up, yells at him and moves forward again.

Horrible post.

If you wanted to do your job in a respectful, useful manner rather than try to grandstand and draw attention to your rumor, you would've asked the 19/20 year old kid the question 1 on 1, rather than putting him on the spot in a press conference, when there was a 0.0% chance he was going to answer any way other than what he did. Grow up

Great post (until the last two words which kind of veer into unnecessary shot territory)

Did I miss something where Pitino three IW under the bus?

Did I miss something where Pitino three IW under the bus?

Nope. He had a lot of good things to say about him. Just said he needs to be more consistent. Pitino knows what he's doing. He's challenging him to get better because he knows how talented Washington is and how good he can be.

Nadine does a great job...However, to me, this should have been a 1 on 1 question and/or hint to some source other then gopherhole. He never would answer yes in this sitting. Can you imagine this forum today if he had?

Honest question from Nadine...I get it. But I don’t think he would ever give anything other then the answer he gave based on the setting and the fact he had a great game 30 minutes before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not cool coming from someone in charge of a Gopher's "fan board".

In the news today, Gopher fans are still overly sensitive about our local media.

This was a bs question. Even if he was/is considering transferring, do you think asking him that question in public will improve our chances of keeping him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GL, we really appreciate all the work you put in and you have done a lot of good work, but this question was totally out of line. You have a player that finally gets the limelight after struggling all year and you have to tarnish the moment by ask him about rumors and put him on the spot. You have had a high standard of reporting, please stick to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe Nadine had sources other than here. IW was not in any way surprised or fazed by the question. To me, that means it has been discussed.

We'll see if he returns from the funeral... :) I certainly would like to see IW ascend to consistent productive performances as a Gopher.

Top Bottom