Great game, Isaiah Washington

My observation: Washington plays much better with the better players. He is better at making good players better than he is at making so-so players better. When we lack scorers on the court, he over reaches. He doesnt need to start - just don't expect him to do well with a line up of Omersa, Hurt, Stockman and Stull.

This same observation probably applies to every back-up PG in the country.

My observation is that IW plays much better when he does what the coaches ask him to do, like playing defense, protecting the ball and looking to pass first, shoot second.

Last edited:

This same observation probably applies to every back-up PG in the country.

My observation is that IW plays much better when he does what the coaches ask him to do, like playing defense, protecting the ball and looking to pass first, shoot second.

Yep. Once he played the game to feed the others- the game came to him. He will get more good opportunities when the opponent fears the pass first. The way he played last night lifts an entire team. When a PG plays like that they all know that if they are on the move and working, they are going to get fed. Much better than dribbling around while everyone watches.

"Perfect" is the word I'll use. I don't how you could have asked for -- or gotten -- more than IW provided tonight. On a night we really needed it.

The zero turnovers is especially impressive considering the speed with which he moved the ball.

It certainly seemed the entire team -- sparked by Washington -- exhibited its best ball movement of the season. Really impressive at times.

JTG

The most assists in a game without a turnover in program history. It was really a historic night. Isaiah deserves all the credit in the world today. He could have had even more assists had Gabe and others made a couple open shots he got them.

Someone said that he took what the defense gave him. NF was pressuring and doubling the ball, which is s mouth watering opportunity for the right guard. He took advantage. By the end of the game, NF adjusted and stopped doing that, forcing IW to shoot it a couple times. As with most point guards, he really helped his team by making the open shots they were giving him.

Pitino continued to be hard on Isiah in the post game radio interview. Was actually a little sad. Didn't have a lot to say that was good. Focused more on questioning why he doesn't play like that more consistently. Clearly not happy.

I fear Jelly is gone by next year.

Loved how Washington played last night. And he didn’t punch anyone in the jewels so plus one for Washington over Davison yesterday.

Plus two actually. Ha

14 points, 13 assists that is a direct hand in 40 of our 80 points! 0 turnovers is like frosting on top of a perfect cake! Stull starting ahead of him better not happen again.

14 points, 13 assists that is a direct hand in 40 of our 80 points! 0 turnovers is like frosting on top of a perfect cake! Stull starting ahead of him better not happen again.

Technically 41 as he assisted our lone made 3! Over half our points!

Jelly is among the legends:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Pitino continued to be hard on Isiah in the post game radio interview. Was actually a little sad. Didn't have a lot to say that was good. Focused more on questioning why he doesn't play like that more consistently. Clearly not happy.

I noticed this too. There's been speculation that IW is badly influenced by others. Maybe it's Richard who is being influenced. Preseason comment:
“He had a terrific team last year and lost three starters,” the elder Pitino said about his son, Richard. “I like his team this year. I’m not crazy about the point guard position. I think he needed … now if Isaiah Washington can mature out of the social media world and into the real basketball world of how to get it done, then they’ve got great promise. If not, he’s just got to find a different point guard and move in a different direction.”

Hopefully Pitino knows what motivates him, if he plays like that consistently the Gophers are a top Big Ten team and could even contend for the title.

Was not super complementary at the post-game interview either. Hey Pitino--your guys would have convincingly lost to a very poor team at home without the incredible play of IW. He saved your A$$. Acknowledge it.

Was not super complementary at the post-game interview either. Hey Pitino--your guys would have convincingly lost to a very poor team at home without the incredible play of IW. He saved your A$$. Acknowledge it.
Exactly. I hope this current vibe is driven by grief around Dupree's mom, but that postgame interview was bad.

Yep. Once he played the game to feed the others- the game came to him. He will get more good opportunities when the opponent fears the pass first. The way he played last night lifts an entire team. When a PG plays like that they all know that if they are on the move and working, they are going to get fed. Much better than dribbling around while everyone watches.

Couldn't agree more bga1. Its amazing how he scored 14 last night when he wasn't looking to score. When he starts out games with the scoring first mentality is when he goes 1 for 10 shooting, gets frustrated, and gives the NEGATIVE BODY LANGUAGE that everyone talks about. I think he is alot more mature than people give him credit for. I think he understands what he needs to do. He even makes the comments in the post game presser that he needs to get better with certain things. I think he understands that when he does those things better he will get the playing time he deserves. Is he frustrated with playing time? Probably. Who wouldnt be. With that being said, i am not in the belief that he will transfer. I think he EARNED more playing time last night and who knows, he may end up starting and having a great finish to the year!

I'm not sure, the way that I look at is this:
1. Washington struggles the rest of the year, gets benched and transfers which isn't a huge deal because if he struggles it won't be like we are missing much next year.

2. He builds off this game and becomes a key contributor rhe rest of the year. He will have set himself up to be a starter next year and unless he absolutely hates Pitino, he would be crazy to transfer and sit out a year when he can be a starter at a B10 program.

I think Isaiah seems like a tough kid and can handle criticism. I do agree that Pitino could have been more complimentary towards IW...but at the same time Pitino rarely gushes about players, so this is not exactly suprising. Really hope IW realizes that last night he was just scratching his potential and continues to work hard and earn minutes.

Rare to criticize a kid after a 13 assist, 0 turnover performance when he made a few huge shots down the stretch and played good defense. I’m sure he will be complimentary of Stull though

I heard the interview and my take is considerably different. I heard compliments about his game, and a history of not having good consistent work habits. Hardly trashing him, just pointing out the history. I think he was glad that IW saw what he could really do. More drama here than is justified.

I heard the interview and my take is considerably different. I heard compliments about his game, and a history of not having good consistent work habits. Hardly trashing him, just pointing out the history. I think he was glad that IW saw what he could really do. More drama here than is justified.

Do you equate it to him calling out low motor Murph? If he expects Washington to be the first guy to practice and the last guy to leave, what does he expect from everyone else? Not everyone can be first and last

Do you equate it to him calling out low motor Murph? If he expects Washington to be the first guy to practice and the last guy to leave, what does he expect from everyone else? Not everyone can be first and last

I thought (and the records show) that Pitino calling out "low motor Murph" helped Murphy become the player he is today that will end his Gopher career with a banner hanging in the rafters of the Barn.

Correct, I thought Pitino’s on court interview was quite complimentary to IW. Pitino is not one to gush praise onto anyone, he is very straightforward. I think some of you guys are reading too much into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another big change was how IW took charge of the court when he was out there. He was organizing the huddles, directing players where to go, communicating very well. It looked liked IW felt it was his team, something he is used to doing, but hard to do when you only sub for a few minutes at a time.

Pitino said in the on court interview that he had talked to IW and told him to make it hard for coach to take him out of the game. IW became a B1G point guard last night and our team is so much better because of it.

IW became a B1G point guard last night and our team is so much better because of it.

Last night was definitely a sight for sore eyes. Washington was under control, repeatedly finding and getting it to the right guy, and even showed some improvement on the defensive end. But need consistency of performance. He'll become a Big Ten PG when he plays consistently well night in & night out when the competition ratchets up in 3 weeks.

What I liked was that it didn't look like Washington was fishing for assists. Yes, he definitely had a distributor mindset, but he wasn't forcing it just to pad his stats. He was taking what the defense gave him

Another big change was how IW took charge of the court when he was out there. He was organizing the huddles, directing players where to go, communicating very well. It looked liked IW felt it was his team, something he is used to doing, but hard to do when you only sub for a few minutes at a time.

Pitino said in the on court interview that he had talked to IW and told him to make it hard for coach to take him out of the game. IW became a B1G point guard last night and our team is so much better because of it.

After Gabe missed a potential game sealing lay-up in which he was fouled (but still would typically have made the lay-up) Washington gave him a pep talk before the free throws. Seemed to try to keep him calm and instill confidence.

After Gabe missed a potential game sealing lay-up in which he was fouled (but still would typically have made the lay-up) Washington gave him a pep talk before the free throws. Seemed to try to keep him calm and instill confidence.

The one I liked was when he no looked it into Stockman who turned and shuffled it to the corner to I think it was Coffey who got fouled going to the basket, Washington and Stockman were standing at mid court while Coffey was shooting the free throw, he gave Stockman a five, smiled at him and said something, Stockman smiled back, I think Washington told him he was unguarded and if he had just turned around he could have dunked it.

You may be right but I don't see Pitino taking Dupree out of the starting lineup for a while after what just happened to him. A few weeks out, maybe. At any rate it would be best for the team if at some point, Dupree or Gabe become sixth man and Washington starts at the point. Moonlight also makes a good point about Washington being better with a cast of scorers...

Honestly, a 6th man role is probably perfect for Dupree but that is tough with him being a senior. If this Washington sticks around I would love to see a starting 5 of Washington, Dupree, Coffey, Murphy, and Oturu with Gabe, Curry, Matz, and Hurt as the next 4 in. Doesn't leave a lot of minutes for Omersa and Stull but it is what it is.

If IW can play anything like that going forward on a nightly basis he makes this a very dangerous team. He is a really good passer and when he is looking to set up his teammates he is able to make some unbelievable passes out there. If he can be content to only take a handful of shots each game and to really focus in on defense and setting up his teammates, he could be an unbelievable point guard for us over the remainder of the season.

He deserved about 20 assists last night if guys had hit some of the great open looks he set them up with. Really hope he is fired up about the way he played las night and wants to make that the new norm for his game.

My favorite possession last night was the one in the second half where we were whipping it around from player to player quickly with no dribbles. Just bam bam bam bam bam...then a score. At least 10 passes. Everyone touched it. That was cool to watch in person.

My favorite possession last night was the one in the second half where we were whipping it around from player to player quickly with no dribbles. Just bam bam bam bam bam...then a score. At least 10 passes. Everyone touched it. That was cool to watch in person.

Mine was the assist to Murphy where the ball got passed to Washington and he didn't even really catch it, he just sort of changed the direction of the ball by deflecting it right to Murphy. That one got me out of my seat!

Mine was the assist to Murphy where the ball got passed to Washington and he didn't even really catch it, he just sort of changed the direction of the ball by deflecting it right to Murphy. That one got me out of my seat!

That touch pass was a thing of beauty. He made a great cut to the middle of the lane, got the pass from Hurt and I think he knew before Hurt passed it what he was going to do. He saw the game at a very high level last night.

Top Bottom