Great game, Isaiah Washington

My observation: Washington plays much better with the better players. He is better at making good players better than he is at making so-so players better. When we lack scorers on the court, he over reaches. He doesnt need to start - just don't expect him to do well with a line up of Omersa, Hurt, Stockman and Stull.

+1. Though it's obviously much easier to get him minutes with those guys by starting him.

+1. Though it's obviously much easier to get him minutes with those guys by starting him.
Yes, its a tough position. He needs to figure out how to be a pass first guard in this league - although I would argue he loves to pass, but its tough for him when his assessment is that he needs to pass to people who are less likely than he is to score.

I heard the interview and my take is considerably different. I heard compliments about his game, and a history of not having good consistent work habits. Hardly trashing him, just pointing out the history. I think he was glad that IW saw what he could really do. More drama here than is justified.
Drama was created before the season started at this position by his father. Pitino is stuck with his dad, so he needs to consider how those words have been interpreted. I think it fueled negative views that were already present.

Mine was the assist to Murphy where the ball got passed to Washington and he didn't even really catch it, he just sort of changed the direction of the ball by deflecting it right to Murphy. That one got me out of my seat!

Murphy was looking for fives after his shot and Stockman went over to Washington to give props for the assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another big change was how IW took charge of the court when he was out there. He was organizing the huddles, directing players where to go, communicating very well. It looked liked IW felt it was his team, something he is used to doing, but hard to do when you only sub for a few minutes at a time.

Pitino said in the on court interview that he had talked to IW and told him to make it hard for coach to take him out of the game. IW became a B1G point guard last night and our team is so much better because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IW is much like this year's football team. He is a rollercoaster. Someday he is going to get it and realize that patience is a virtue as a point guard. He can learn from Murphy as last night there were at least three times where Murphy recognized the time and the situation. Murph just let the moment come to him and it worked out.
Washington needs to get to that point. Wait...and trust the offense to open up the opportunity. IW did that for most of the game. There was only two or three times that IW reverted to the impatient, lacking discipline, player who pouts.

I'd like to see IW, Dupree, Coffey, Murphy, Oturu/Curry going forward. Use Gabe for instant offense.

The main thing I don't like about this is that there isn't a good outside shooter in that group. Even if Gabe isn't hitting them, he's still going to draw attention if he's out near the three point line. Opens up areas for other players. To me, the lineup you propose has zone written all over it.

Unless Isaiah is on the court with 4 walk ons there’s no reason for him to take a contested shot.

He can get to the basket whenever he wants, but he can’t finish. Hopefully as a junior or senior he will develop that ability and become more of a Kyrie Irving type.

He looked good last night. Moving the ball, passing it, taking it to the rim only when warranted(for the most part). If he can just slow himself down and play like that consistently, there is alot to like about his game, even though he is a terrible shooter.

Unless Isaiah is on the court with 4 walk ons there’s no reason for him to take a contested shot.

He can get to the basket whenever he wants, but he can’t finish. Hopefully as a junior or senior he will develop that ability and become more of a Kyrie Irving type.

He has to shoot sometimes and he had a few nice and crucial finishes in traffic last night

The main thing I don't like about this is that there isn't a good outside shooter in that group. Even if Gabe isn't hitting them, he's still going to draw attention if he's out near the three point line. Opens up areas for other players. To me, the lineup you propose has zone written all over it.

I agree. Which is why it might make more sense to start Gabe over McBreyer but I just don't see that happening. I do think McBreyer is a better shooter than he's shown so far and hopefully will get back on track when he gets back.

I agree. Which is why it might make more sense to start Gabe over McBreyer but I just don't see that happening. I do think McBreyer is a better shooter than he's shown so far and hopefully will get back on track when he gets back.

He hit some nice shots off of tough dribbles on Saturday. His personal life had to be weighing on him. I expect a new Dupree the rest of the year.

Top Bottom