Several U Football Players Face Discipline

The U was not WRONG. There is no right or wrong. You could say they did not choose the best course of action but it is not wrong.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I don’t think your response was the best course of action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should the University report that a student receiving full ride academic scholarship be led before the press when caught smoking weed? How about a professor who has an affair with a student of legal age, call the Trib? Such a bunch of BS on this thread. Students make mistakes, OMG!!!! What a bunch of wussies.

Should the University report that a student receiving full ride academic scholarship be led before the press when caught smoking weed? How about a professor who has an affair with a student of legal age, call the Trib? Such a bunch of BS on this thread. Students make mistakes, OMG!!!! What a bunch of wussies.

Well, smoking weed is illegal so I would think the U should report it to someone.

This thread has more ****** bags than a Massengill factory.

Apparently some people found out that they aren't getting Christmas presents from Santa and they are mad.

:headdesk:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Holy cow...

Weed is still illegal?

How come no one updated me on this?

Let this thread die! :banghead: Let this thread die! :banghead: Let this thread die! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Lock it up!
Lock it up!
Lock it up!
[emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I agree with all of this.
Would’ve been pretty easy to put out a press release a few days ago saying:
FOllinwg a report in local media about players being disciplined the U of M would like to confirm some players violated team rules. None of the team rules violated were illegal or violent acts and because of this we will not be releasing the names or the types of violations. We would also like to clarify the number of players who violated team rules was less than the number reported in the press.

Fleck essentially said all of this during press conference yet he continued to get a bunch of questions about the situation. A few in the media weren't going to be satisfied unless they knew the names and exactly what they did.

Oh sure, they could. We all will figure it out, easily I'm sure.

-OR- they could've just put out a press conf some time ago saying players X,Y,Z won't be playing in the bowl game due to violation of team rules, and no further details will be given due to student privacy laws. That would've shut the thing down, and thrown away the key. We'd already have moved on from it.

But Fleck & Coyle want to ____ around and piss reporters off, then this is what they get. Their fault.

You really think it is their job to satisfy every reporter (especially reporters that don't even cover the football team)? The fact that any reporter might be pissed off about this says a lot more about them than Fleck and Coyle.

Fleck essentially said all of this during press conference yet he continued to get a bunch of questions about the situation. A few in the media weren't going to be satisfied unless they knew the names and exactly what they did.

Apparently some of these people aren't good at finding interesting new stories so they must rehash the old ones.

Apparently some of these people aren't good at finding interesting new stories so they must rehash the old ones.

the point is - people are upset because the media was asking about suspensions during the signing day press conference.

I - and others - contend the Gophers could have and should have addressed the issue sooner and separately from signing day.

If the Gophers had done that, the focus of signing day would have been on signing day. and, I suspect, the suspension story would have mostly run its course.

Instead, by waiting until signing day to address the suspensions, the Gophers set themselves up for what they got - reporters asking about suspensions instead of talking about the new recruits.

You can blame the media all you want, but the Gophers could have handled the situation better.

the point is - people are upset because the media was asking about suspensions during the signing day press conference.

I - and others - contend the Gophers could have and should have addressed the issue sooner and separately from signing day.

If the Gophers had done that, the focus of signing day would have been on signing day. and, I suspect, the suspension story would have mostly run its course.

Instead, by waiting until signing day to address the suspensions, the Gophers set themselves up for what they got - reporters asking about suspensions instead of talking about the new recruits.

You can blame the media all you want, but the Gophers could have handled the situation better.
I don't think PJ cares. It is fans who are blowing this all out of proportion.

1) reporter acted like an ass
2) PJ didn't give her what she wanted

That is it. I fail to see the drama or how the signing day press conference was ruined... This is such a non-issue.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Exactly right. The AD first made Fleck available at the signing day press conference, so how it turned out is 100% their fault. I get that Fleck was busy recruiting, but there was no reason he couldn't have been made available for 15-20 minutes one day last week. He could've even held a conference call from Vegas or Atlanta if location was an issue.

For like the 20th time, most people are not upset because questions were asked. What most expected was a few questions being asked, Fleck answering them and then moving on. Instead someone didn't like the answer she was given because it wasn't controversial enough so she continued to ask the same stuff over and over.

If they had done a press release prior to the press conference, it probably would have said exactly what Fleck said during the press conference. A few in the media weren't happy with what he said. So regardless if that info first came out in a press release or Fleck talking about it, he still probably gets asked additional questions Wednesday because a few in the media think they're entitled to the whole story.

For like the 20th time, most people are not upset because questions were asked. What most expected was a few questions being asked, Fleck answering them and then moving on. Instead someone didn't like the answer she was given because it wasn't controversial enough so she continued to ask the same stuff over and over.

If they had done a press release prior to the press conference, it probably would have said exactly what Fleck said during the press conference. A few in the media weren't happy with what he said. So regardless if that info first came out in a press release or Fleck talking about it, he still probably gets asked additional questions Wednesday because a few in the media think they're entitled to the whole story.

I disagree. I read a ton of comments on Twitter excoriating her (and others) for even asking the questions. It was as though people were totally unaware that the U of M quite literally invited media to show up to the signing day press conference and ask questions about the "suspension" "situation". This would've been a mostly dead issue had the U dealt with it head-on and held a media availability well in advance of signing day.

Someone at the Strib found out what happened. The U knew the Strib had the story and tried to get the Strib to sit on it until after signing day. The Strib balked at this. At that point, the U should have got out in front of everything, did a news dump during the weekend or while people were preoccupied with the Vikes Monday night game and this wouldn't have lingered.

You seem to be speaking for “most people” and “a few in the media” here. Maybe most don’t agree with your take? I, for one, think the U handled it very poorly and the evasive non-answers Wednesday made the situation worse. You may think PJ and MC did this just right and gave the media all they deserved. I would disagree. I don’t have a clue what “most people” think.

Someone at the Strib found out what happened. The U knew the Strib had the story and tried to get the Strib to sit on it until after signing day. The Strib balked at this. At that point, the U should have got out in front of everything, did a news dump during the weekend or while people were preoccupied with the Vikes Monday night game and this wouldn't have lingered.

I don't know if that is true.

I'm not sure your suggested course of action would have changed... anything.

Wierd that some are more upset about the department’s handling of this than the original misleading headline/false story - I think most are aware I’m not blind followers of the coach and AD.

It was nothing significant which really upset Rochelle et al. Maybe next time it’ll be big.

I disagree. I read a ton of comments on Twitter excoriating her (and others) for even asking the questions. It was as though people were totally unaware that the U of M quite literally invited media to show up to the signing day press conference and ask questions about the "suspension" "situation". This would've been a mostly dead issue had the U dealt with it head-on and held a media availability well in advance of signing day.

You seem to be speaking for “most people” and “a few in the media” here. Maybe most don’t agree with your take? I, for one, think the U handled it very poorly and the evasive non-answers Wednesday made the situation worse. You may think PJ and MC did this just right and gave the media all they deserved. I would disagree. I don’t have a clue what “most people” think.

Sooooo, if I'm understanding this correctly, if Fleck and the Athletic Dept would have had a presser several days earlier and Fleck gave the same exact answers he gave at Wednesday's event, everything would have been okay?

Top Bottom