Several U Football Players Face Discipline

Well one (maybe the only one) supposedly is a starter. I think even the Star Tribune can figure that one out.

Oh sure, they could. We all will figure it out, easily I'm sure.

-OR- they could've just put out a press conf some time ago saying players X,Y,Z won't be playing in the bowl game due to violation of team rules, and no further details will be given due to student privacy laws. That would've shut the thing down, and thrown away the key. We'd already have moved on from it.

But Fleck & Coyle want to ____ around and piss reporters off, then this is what they get. Their fault.

Do you not give a crap about privacy rights?

College (adult, older than 18) football players at a tax funded public school, so in other words playing on a public tax funded team, have a right to privacy over if they won't be playing in the game (and no other details, as I've made abundantly clear)??

No. Nice try.

Yes, always good to antagonize the local newspaper.

Expect to see an article printed on Dec 27, with a headline something like "Several Players Miss Bowl Game, Possible For Violating Team Rules" and a list of all the players who didn't play in the bowl game in big font. Then in smaller font, something like "The Star Tribune attempted to clarify which players missed the game due to team rules violations, but coach Fleck would not answer the question specifically".

If he wants to ____ around, that's what he's going to get. And it will be directly his and Coyle's fault.

I’ve never found it advantageous or beneficial in the long run to kowtow to unreasonableness, stupidity, incompetence. Nip it in the bud rather than be an enabler. The papers will run a story on suspensions whether or not PJ gives them specifics. Eventually perhaps they will feel enough shame they will refrain from running misleading or outright false stories as was the case here. They claimed multiple sources gave them details but they were waiting on school comment before printing. That was a lie and PJ shot them down, including the rumor spread by Doogie that Cashman was involved which PJ also shot down. PJ is not the one that should feel bad this morning.

Where is Doogie to comment on this? He frequents this site and claimed to have details. Well Doogie, we’re waiting. Give us the big scoop.

This has been the response from most in the media defending her. However, virtually no one is mad that she or anyone else asked questions about what happened. Everyone expect that. What was ridiculous is how she continued to ask the same questions, thinking she'd get a different answer, and really was just wasting everyone's time. The questions were asked, Fleck answered them how he was going to answer them. Thinking if you ask him 10+ times he'll finally cave in and give you the details is ridiculous. She was there solely to try to create controversy.

Bingo. She did the same thing to Pitino when the Reggie Lynch s-show was going on. Ask your question. Then either shut up, or ask a different question. This was after a hot mic picked up her saying “Fentynal is the best three minutes of your life” before the press conference started

Sure ... you. And maybe 30-50 others on this site who are hard core fans.

What about the other hundreds of thousands of "regular folks" who read it every day?

Without digging into the numbers, I would venture to say the circulation is considerably less now than it was several years ago, or 6, 8, 10 years ago. It's devolved into a crap paper, plain and simple.

Oh sure, they could. We all will figure it out, easily I'm sure.

-OR- they could've just put out a press conf some time ago saying players X,Y,Z won't be playing in the bowl game due to violation of team rules, and no further details will be given due to student privacy laws. That would've shut the thing down, and thrown away the key. We'd already have moved on from it.

But Fleck & Coyle want to ____ around and piss reporters off, then this is what they get. Their fault.

Give it up.

The Gophers have no responsibility to inform the media or the fans if any player is missing a bowl game or otherwise for a violation of team rules.

I’ve never found it advantageous or beneficial in the long run to kowtow to unreasonableness, stupidity, incompetence. Nip it in the bud rather than be an enabler. The papers will run a story on suspensions whether or not PJ gives them specifics. Eventually perhaps they will feel enough shame they will refrain from running misleading or outright false stories as was the case here. They claimed multiple sources gave them details but they were waiting on school comment before printing. That was a lie and PJ shot them down, including the rumor spread by Doogie that Cashman was involved which PJ also shot down. PJ is not the one that should feel bad this morning.

Where is Doogie to comment on this? He frequents this site and claimed to have details. Well Doogie, we’re waiting. Give us the big scoop.

This is precisely correct.

PJ is handling this perfectly. Give them nothing. If they want to print a dishonest innuendo-type article, that's fine, it's their karmic predicament. If PJ had the press conference, they would also put out a negative story to generate clicks, you're not avoiding that scenario.

Like I said, give them nothing and stand by the privacy of your players. PE said it will, "nip it in the bud rather than be an enabler".

Bingo. She did the same thing to Pitino when the Reggie Lynch s-show was going on. Ask your question. Then either shut up, or ask a different question. This was after a hot mic picked up her saying “Fentynal is the best three minutes of your life” before the press conference started

Now THIS seems like a story! Someone at the Strib should run with this!

This is precisely correct.

PJ is handling this perfectly. Give them nothing. If they want to print a dishonest innuendo-type article, that's fine, it's their karmic predicament. If PJ had the press conference, they would also put out a negative story to generate clicks, you're not avoiding that scenario.

Like I said, give them nothing and stand by the privacy of your players. PE said it will, "nip it in the bud rather than be an enabler".

I think you guys are still just pissed off about the scandal in 2016 and want the media to suffer because of joe you viewed their role in that.

I think overall this is a ridiculous way to view a relationship with local media. And you wonder why they don’t always give us the best coverage. Probably because we’ve treated them poorly first, not the other way around.

Well past time for me to shut up, in this thread. My point has been made, and rejected. So be it

Wow a lot of controlling type people still trying to get the latest news that they aren't going to get. As many of have said, give it a rest.

Coyle was probably around.

I kind of like Coyle, which I suspect is the sharp minority view around here, but it's hard not to picture him as the guy at the party who doesn't really want to be there, and stands in the corner away from most of the conversation, and wipes his nose a lot, and checks his phone repeatedly to look at a gardening message board.

I think you guys are still just pissed off about the scandal in 2016 and want the media to suffer because of joe you viewed their role in that.

I think overall this is a ridiculous way to view a relationship with local media. And you wonder why they don’t always give us the best coverage. Probably because we’ve treated them poorly first, not the other way around.

Well past time for me to shut up, in this thread. My point has been made, and rejected. So be it

I totally disagree. This is the outcome from having "journalists" who are unable to distinguish differing roles in communications. Journalism is not public relations, nor is it preaching morality.

We have had a steady stream of people who have had access to the newspapers and airwaves who are accustomed to bullypulpitting the masses. They have created entitled information distributors in this region. The trouble arises when someone stands up to them. They confuse their wanting to have information, which they want to use to twist their dagger of judgement further in the story, with the public good.

Then they see an actual journalist standing up to an incendiary and confrontational politician and they view themselves a martyr's in training.

I have no problem with public figures controlling what they disclose to reporters simply because the right to privacy should be stronger than others wanting to butt in to know what's going on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Who gives a **** if Fleck and Coyle piss reporters off???? Other than Sid, practically none of them give the U any press unless it is negative. Being open with them has bought no goodwill or any attempt to positively spin any story. Quite the opposite. The media takes any and every opportunity it can to spin something negatively. Screw ‘em. If PJ wins, the fans of the U and this team, along with recruits, will see it all over national tv. No one cares about the local press except for some people on this board who are fixated on what they say for some reason. WIN BABY and nothing else matters!!

Go Gophers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who gives a **** if Fleck and Coyle piss reporters off???? Other than Sid, practically none of them give the U any press unless it is negative. Being open with them has bought no goodwill or any attempt to positively spin any story. Quite the opposite. The media takes any and every opportunity it can to spin something negatively. Screw ‘em. If PJ wins, the fans of the U and this team, along with recruits, will see it all over national tv. No one cares about the local press except for some people on this board who are fixated on what they say for some reason. WIN BABY and nothing else matters!!

Go Gophers!!

Just to be a smart a$$, the previous coach did and those other things did matter! :eek:

I kind of like Coyle, which I suspect is the sharp minority view around here, but it's hard not to picture him as the guy at the party who doesn't really want to be there, and stands in the corner away from most of the conversation, and wipes his nose a lot, and checks his phone repeatedly to look at a gardening message board.
Funny

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

You're missing the point.

I am annoyed with how the media handled the 2016 scandal for precisely the same reason I wouldn't give any private information about student athletes to the media. It's not bitterness, it's simply flows from the same logical source. It would be logically inconsistent for me to say "the media's coverage of the 2016 scandal was awful" and "we should have a press conference about this". Please don't confuse that with being bitter, like punishing them with a lack of information because of the coverage in 2016. It's not punishment, it's just the right thing to do.

As far as the local media, I think you're a little wide-eyed. The U is not followed closely and they are in the business of making money, so they will only cover things that generate clicks. I do not wonder why they don't get the best coverage, I go to games and I hear people talking, I know Gopher football isn't as popular as other sports. So I fully understand why we don't get a ton of coverage.

As far as treating them poorly? What are you talking about? PJ does press conferences all of the time to talk about football and all kinds of things. If you think PJ refusing to give further private details about these athletes constitutes poor treatment, I don't think we'll ever see eye-to-eye. You'd have a point if PJ was like refusing press conferences and being rude.

The local media will come around when we win. Until then, they won't.

After watching the press conference I would say there was nothing unreasonable on either side of the press conference. She was trying to dig and got shot down. He shared nothing, which is how much I would’ve shared.

Someone made a decision to avoid any press availability until the signing day press conference. That decision virtually guaranteed that there would be questions about the possible suspensions - taking focus away from the signing day activities.

In my humble opinion, that was a bad decision from a PR sense. The suspension issues could have - and should have - been dealt with separately. then, the focus of the signing day press conference would have been on the signing day.

Even if you think the reporters were out of line, the situation was created by the U's decision to wait until Wednesday to address the issue.

Don't know if that was Fleck's call or Coyle's. But it was a bad call.

Like it or not, players on a D1 FB team possibly being suspended and missing a bowl game is a story. it's going to be covered. the school had opportunities to steer that coverage in a direction they wanted. they did nothing, and the result is what happened on Wednesday.

The result is that the Strib looked like a bunch of jerks and Gopher fans were happy with Fleck so I think they handled it perfectly well.

Yes, always good to antagonize the local newspaper.

Expect to see an article printed on Dec 27, with a headline something like "Several Players Miss Bowl Game, Possible For Violating Team Rules" and a list of all the players who didn't play in the bowl game in big font. Then in smaller font, something like "The Star Tribune attempted to clarify which players missed the game due to team rules violations, but coach Fleck would not answer the question specifically".

If he wants to ____ around, that's what he's going to get. And it will be directly his and Coyle's fault.

I just don't get the notion that it's somehow our business as to who broke team rules and what rules they broke. As long as they're not covering up illegal activity then its internal business.

If they aren't playing in the bowl game it is a little silly to withhold the information. Keeping a secret for the big viewing? LOL! Now if they are just not practicing, but will play that is another thing. Another thing like poor game prep for a nationally televised game. I am absolutely sure that this incident will never be mentioned on the broadcast either. LOL!

So what is the only thing to do now? Play them and remain silent.

This may have been brought up already but I don't want to go through 36 pages of other speculation to verify. I am lazy that way. But, here goes...
Maybe Coach Fleck didn't/doesn't want to name anyone because they may have a chance to make up for whatever it was that they had done before the bowl game? Maybe if they do X, Y, or Z (whatever that is) they get to play in the bowl game and will have served their "punishment"? That would be a good reason not to name a player right off the bat.
I dunno, just throwing that out there. And for the record, I am fine with them not saying who and what the issue is. I can wait for the bowl game to see what happens. Besides, I have a lot of really important stuff going on between now and then; but reading and posting in Gopher Hole is not one of them - that's just time-wasting.

The U was wrong to say nothing before yesterday. That was reason 1A for what happened.

PJ isn’t required to give any specifics. Got it. However, the reporter isn’t required to stop asking if she isn’t satisfied with the answers she is getting either.

The U was wrong to say nothing before yesterday. That was reason 1A for what happened.

PJ isn’t required to give any specifics. Got it. However, the reporter isn’t required to stop asking if she isn’t satisfied with the answers she is getting either.

I agree with all of this.
Would’ve been pretty easy to put out a press release a few days ago saying:
FOllinwg a report in local media about players being disciplined the U of M would like to confirm some players violated team rules. None of the team rules violated were illegal or violent acts and because of this we will not be releasing the names or the types of violations. We would also like to clarify the number of players who violated team rules was less than the number reported in the press.

The U was not WRONG. There is no right or wrong. You could say they did not choose the best course of action but it is not wrong.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

The U was not WRONG. There is no right or wrong. You could say they did not choose the best course of action but it is not wrong.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Isn't that wrong?

I just don't get the notion that it's somehow our business as to who broke team rules and what rules they broke. As long as they're not covering up illegal activity then its internal business.

BINGO!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Let this thread die! :banghead: Let this thread die! :banghead: Let this thread die! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Top Bottom