Several U Football Players Face Discipline

None of us are going to know until pregame warm-ups, who is and isn't dressed and who we know is and isn't hurt. The player(s) in question likely didn't even travel with the team. The reality is it was a violation of team rules, and Fleck has zero obligation to release how many and/or names before kickoff. He's not going to give GT time to game plan for guys who won't be there.

A team rule is a team rule, and Fleck doesn't have to say what happened. There was no legal issue, no arrest and no assault of any kind. Therefore, it stays in-house, as it should. I've heard from a reliable source that the Strib will be incredibly disappointed if they ever find out what the violation was for all the work they did digging into the story, and for having Rochelle Olson embarrass herself for beating a dead horse about the issue at the Signing Day news conference.

That said, the football communications staff should have released a statement saying "X" number of players won't be in the bowl game due to a violation of team rules so we would've avoided the Signing Day debacle. But in their mind, the violation didn't merit making a public statement.

They claimed to already know, via “multiple” sources. This story reads worse all the time and still hasn’t been corrected. How about we find out who the heroic sources were, risking their careers to shed light on the situation...

At least six Gophers football players have been disciplined and have not been allowed to practice recently in preparation for the Quick Lane Bowl for violating team rules, multiple sources told the Star Tribune. The players face suspension and could miss the Dec. 26 bowl game against Georgia Tech in Detroit.

Coach P.J. Fleck and athletic director Mark Coyle did not return messages Tuesday seeking comment.

The alleged team rule violations reported from the sources do not involve assault or violence. Sources cited reasons for the disciplinary action, and the names of some players involved, but since
those details have not been confirmed, the Star Tribune is not publishing that information. The number of players disciplined is said to be between six and eight, several sources said.

I’ve learned from an unreliable source what the violation was.

If accurate, I’m glad it didn’t come out.

I’ve learned from an unreliable source what the violation was.

If accurate, I’m glad it didn’t come out.
Thank you, Sir. May I have another?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If nothing else, the Gophers should make it clear whether a player is missing the game due to injury or suspension - out of fairness to the players - so that players who did not break any rules are not unfairly identified as having violated team rules.

The team knows who is sitting out and why. They won’t be worrying about what the media might report and if the reason why they missed the game is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

She should know when to keep her mouth shut. There’s no need for women to report on football as they don’t understand it. She should be supporting her husband and making babies.

Yep, that's exactly what I said. Your bit isn't as funny as you think it is.

per STrib:

It remains unclear how many players and which players from the Gophers’ football team will be suspended for the upcoming Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit.

Speaking to reporters after the team’s first full practice at the Detroit Lions practice facility on Sunday morning, Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck was mum about any specifics regarding possible suspensions.

“I already answered all the questions about that,” Fleck said.

Last Wednesday, Fleck said “a player or players” would miss the bowl game, believed to be stemming from a team rules violation following a 37-15 win at Wisconsin on Nov. 24.

Minnesota starting quarterback Tanner Morgan said the talk surrounding any possible suspensions hasn’t been a distraction in the days leading up to Wednesday’s bowl game against Georgia Tech.

“Our guys have been really focused on this event and this opportunity we have,” Morgan said. “We are really excited to play.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-s-gophers-begin-quick-lane-bowl-prep-in-detroit/503410192/

Go Gophers!!

Surprised Rochelle wasn’t there with a program in hand checking names off as they left the field .

Surprised Rochelle wasn’t there with a program in hand checking names off as they left the field .

Thay would be reporting. Going to do primary research to get an answer that official sources won't answer. I cant figure out why people seem surprised or upset that the press cares about this.

I think we have beaten this non-story to smithereens. If the players did not commit any crimes, then it is an internal rule violations disciplinary matter. The U have to protect their privacy.

I think we have beaten this non-story to smithereens. If the players did not commit any crimes, then it is an internal rule violations disciplinary matter. The U have to protect their privacy.

Agree this is a non-story. That won’t stop the press from trying. Of course insisting on not addressing it as a non-story until a week and a half later is either arrogant or stupid. Both only attract more attention, which is why it’s lingering. My guess is the papers in town have the info at this point and, true to form, will make a bigger deal out if this tomorrow or Wednesday morning to cash in on timing.

This is a minor annoyance to the fan base and more of the same to casual fans. Just another self inflicted wound.

Last edited:

Agree this is a non-story. That won’t stop the press from trying. Of course insisting on not addressing it as a non-story until a week and a half later is either arrogant or stupid. Both only attract more attention, which is why it’s lingering. My guess is the papers in town have the info at this point and, true to form, will make a bigger deal out if this tomorrow or Wednesday morning to cash in on timing.

This is a minor annoyance to the fan base and more of the same to casual fans. Just another self inflicted wound.

Without knowing any details, not sure why you are insisting it's "stupid." Outside of us die-hards on GH and the media, I seriously doubt most of Minnesota is dying to know who is not playing.

Also, I've had the thought that the U's reaction might be dictated by the lawsuit from the sex scandal. Have no idea of the actual merits of that case, but maybe somebody decided a policy of saying nothing eliminates some quote that could be used in court later on.

Okay. So I am heading to Detroit and am not one to let the truth get in the way of a good story but does anyone actually know if any players didn’t travel? That would seem like a logical place to begin.

Bwah hah hah, heh heh, ho ho

Who is talking about this other than the usual suspects? Without divulging private information any further comments will onlyfuel the jackals and the usual reactionaries here and in the Tribune comment section (which is only marginally more likely to jump to conclusions).

Without knowing any details, not sure why you are insisting it's "stupid." Outside of us die-hards on GH and the media, I seriously doubt most of Minnesota is dying to know who is not playing.

Also, I've had the thought that the U's reaction might be dictated by the lawsuit from the sex scandal. Have no idea of the actual merits of that case, but maybe somebody decided a policy of saying nothing eliminates some quote that could be used in court later on.

Addressing it does not require naming names or saying what they did.

I’m not insisting it’s stupid, but from the perspective of basic, generic PR, standpoint you’ve lost control of the story in the press. That is not smart. You can decide what you want to call it. I call it stupid because it was an unnecessary self-inflicted wound (minor, but as reported Fleck’s a little frustrated it got in the way of talking about the class on signing day.

All that was needed was issuing a statement that says - reports are overblown. Had a violation of team rules. All discipline will be handled internally.

Because if the way the admin bungled the scandal in 2016, you need to add - this doesn’t involve criminal activity (which Fleck has done).

A competent administration would have done all these things. Minnesota has lacked that for longer than I’ve been alive.

Addressing it does not require naming names or saying what they did.

I’m not insisting it’s stupid, but from the perspective of basic, generic PR, standpoint you’ve lost control of the story in the press. That is not smart. You can decide what you want to call it. I call it stupid because it was an unnecessary self-inflicted wound (minor, but as reported Fleck’s a little frustrated it got in the way of talking about the class on signing day.

All that was needed was issuing a statement that says - reports are overblown. Had a violation of team rules. All discipline will be handled internally.

Because if the way the admin bungled the scandal in 2016, you need to add - this doesn’t involve criminal activity (which Fleck has done).

A competent administration would have done all these things. Minnesota has lacked that for longer than I’ve been alive.

Ok, but he’s said all these things and we’re still talking about. And, the media will surely seize on any prominent missing players.

I just hope the announcers do not spend the entire broadcast reviewing every recent player incident. Let's focus on the players who are on the field.

You are turning into a troll!

Spoofing never has been nor will be a troll. He's as loyal a Gopher fan as anyone- don't always agree with him but his heart is gold

You are turning into a troll!

Interesting take. Pages and pages have been devoted to this thread and topic on here over the past couple weeks. Much of the discussion about whether the U should have or should not have stayed silent versus addressing it in the media. Now, in one evening two high profile teams have similar situations and chose the exact opposite approach as the U did and multiple people seem upset that is being raised. Troll? Give me a break.

Question time. Has there been any change in drug testing policy and enforcement either by the NCAA, the Bowl Committees or Federal Organizations?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Strib continues to have a clear agenda against the Gophers, and now Fleck is giving them the middle finger. There's nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom