Several U Football Players Face Discipline

Maybe if PJ would be honest about what is happening with the suspensions it might help. He has refused to tell the number of athletes who are going to be suspended. By doing that, he creates suspicion of his motives and what he is covering up. Other coaches have been more candid about suspensions as has been seen the last couple of days. Mr. Fleck is a public employee and he makes a hefty salary. It would not hurt him to be honest.

Wow. How concerned are you that public employees in the Psychiatry Department are so mismanaged that they are run clinical trials where participants commit suicide? It seems to me that this cover up is much more egregious than a coach not disclosing why players are suspended before a game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wow. How concerned are you that public employees in the Psychiatry Department are so mismanaged that they are run clinical trials where participants commit suicide? It seems to me that this cover up is much more egregious than a coach not disclosing why players are suspended before a game.

The Psychiatry Department would have a field day with some of the posts in this thread: Paranoia, Delusions, Anxiety disorders, Avoidance learning, Depression, Operant conditioning, Psychosomatic disorder, Short-term memory, Unconscious motivation.

45 pages in. Still no one's business.

Last edited:

As has been made abundantly clear, none of us actually care which rules were broken. I think I speak for a few of the posters at least, in saying that our main gripe has been the bungling of how this issue was addressed with the media.

I quoted your post as a reminder. It seems in an effort to get through 45 pages to post about how they can’t believe anyone would read or post in this thread, many still seem to have missed this rather vital point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad PJ's taking the stance of protecting the kids from scrutiny. Most won't end up in the NFL and getting past a job interview when the last googlable fact on you was "suspended for failing a drug test" is a lot harder to talk around than "suspended for violating team rules". Reality is that if you randomly screened college kids for drug use, and posted publically the results there would be a lot of kids having trouble getting jobs after college. Burning those kids to satisfy someone's unquenchable need to know everything isn't the right call.

The Psychiatry Department would have a field day with some of the posts in this thread: Paranoia, Delusions, Anxiety disorders, Avoidance learning, Depression, Operant conditioning, Psychosomatic disorder, Short-term memory, Unconscious motivation.

45 pages in. Still no one's business.
Based on the fact that the Psychiatry Department scandal is still ongoing, you can find an article about it in Forbes in 2016, when the scandal broke ten years earlier, I doubt any findings they might produce.

Someone might be inclined to conclude that the athletic department outrage is a distraction to what is going on in the Psychiatry Department.

I'm glad PJ's taking the stance of protecting the kids from scrutiny. Most won't end up in the NFL and getting past a job interview when the last googlable fact on you was "suspended for failing a drug test" is a lot harder to talk around than "suspended for violating team rules". Reality is that if you randomly screened college kids for drug use, and posted publically the results there would be a lot of kids having trouble getting jobs after college. Burning those kids to satisfy someone's unquenchable need to know everything isn't the right call.

Bingo. Agree 100%.

Still no one's business.

It absolutely IS my business, to know which players didn't travel to Detroit and won't play in the bowl game.

It only isn't my business, to know which exact rules they broke.

Not sure how you can get this so wrong, but you smashed that ball out of the park.

we will know who the one or two are tomorrow

And because of that, the suspension will now be a main storyline of the game.

If they had said who wasn't playing days ago, it wouldn't be mentioned in the game coverage and we would've already moved on. This was the better option.

It absolutely IS my business, to know which players didn't travel to Detroit and won't play in the bowl game.

Not sure how you can get this so wrong, but you smashed that ball out of the park.

I've mostly avoided this thread but this caught my attention. Why is it your business? Is it the betting angle? The "my tax money supports the U" argument? Some moral grounds?

It's not clear to me that it is or is not anyone's business.

I've mostly avoided this thread but this caught my attention. Why is it your business? Is it the betting angle? The "my tax money supports the U" argument? Some moral grounds?

It's not clear to me that it is or is not anyone's business.

For exactly the same reason that the NFL forced each team to report inactives before the games on Sunday.

It's just the right thing to do, all around. Gamesmanship goes too far, some times.

For exactly the same reason that the NFL forced each team to report inactives before the games on Sunday.

It's just the right thing to do, all around. Gamesmanship goes too far, some times.

One could argue that the right thing to do is to leave it private since it was a team rule. I am somewhat indifferent either way but just because you think it is the right thing to do does not make it so. Seems like that's just an opinion to me.

Will this thread die after the game today or will it live on?

I’m sure you will be able to figure out later today who is not playing. Then you’ll know.

Patience is a virtue!!!!!

One could argue that the right thing to do is to leave it private since it was a team rule.

And for the billionth time ... two completely separate things are being conflated. You just can't help yourself.

A G A I N, I don't want to know which rule was broken. That is not my business. If there is no criminal investigate and no University investigation, then it should stay in-house.

The completely separate thing, having to nothing to do with that, is to report which players are inactive for the game.

I bought myself a little starter drone for Christmas, it's really fun.

And because of that, the suspension will now be a main storyline of the game.

If they had said who wasn't playing days ago, it wouldn't be mentioned in the game coverage and we would've already moved on. This was the better option.

So you think the Clemson players being suspended won't be brought up during their game Saturday?

Players suspended (especially if any are starters) will probably be brought up during the broadcast regardless of when the public finds out who it is.

And for the billionth time ... two completely separate things are being conflated. You just can't help yourself.

A G A I N, I don't want to know which rule was broken. That is not my business. If there is no criminal investigate and no University investigation, then it should stay in-house.

The completely separate thing, having to nothing to do with that, is to report which players are inactive for the game.

Oh the irony. What is so f'n important about this for you to be that concerned about it?

:horse:

Pretty sure the #1-#10 reason the NFL requires that has to do with betting. Not sure where “it’s just the right thing to do” ranks, but not in the top 10.

I don’t think the U should be <b>required </b>to give us anything - names or details. I do, however, agree with you that they have made the media coverage worse by how they chose to handle this. Nothing new for this University.

Right now I'd be happy just to see a depth chart. If this is or isn't anyone on the depth chart I don't care. This is out of interest, not so much concern.

After the next couple of times Fleck or any other coach at the U declines to provides details or even discuss the the suspension of players for the violation of team rules the local media is going to make less of an issue about it, and GopheHole threads about it will be much shorter. The U did a good job handling this matter.

Last edited:

Right now I'd be happy just to see a depth chart. If this is or isn't anyone on the depth chart I don't care. This is out of interest, not so much concern.

Depth charts are a part of the past.

You have dogged determination bordering on obsessiveness, I'll give you that. But you really blew it with this latest entry.

1. The NCAA does not have the same rules as the NFL. What the NFL does has absolutely no relevance.

2. Gamesmanship refers to a competitive advantage over an opponent. You are not an opponent. Have you been outraged on Georgia Tech's behalf all this time?

3. Saying it's "the right thing to do" is just your opinion. It's not fact.

It's time to watch the game. I suggest you do the same and get off your most recent merry-go-round.

Someone on the bowl game thread said it's Teague (the true freshman DL) and K Martin (starting LB), who are missing.

Would've been a non-issue if the U/Coyle/Fleck would've simply stated that those two had violated team rules and would not be playing or traveling to Detroit. It'd be over and done with and not even discussion during the game or mentioned in the game coverage, likely.

For those willing to die on the "I'm mad because they handled this poorly with the media" hill -- you really need to get a life.

I've talked to four other college football fans at work today about the Gopher game. All of the four knew the Gophers are playing today, but only one of the four knew that any Gopher player was going to be missing the game for a violation of team rules. And the one who knew is a fellow Gopherholer. There will be mentions during most bowl broadcasts of players missing the game due for various reasons, and most viewers will forget within 10 minutes. This isn't some national story we all need to worry about. Settle down.

1. The NCAA does not have the same rules as the NFL.

They doesn't prove they shouldn't. Silly point

2. Gamesmanship refers to a competitive advantage over an opponent.

Correct -- hence why Fleck withholds starting lineups as much as he can, he thinks it's an advantage.

3. Saying it's "the right thing to do" is just your opinion.

Not true, otherwise the NFL wouldn't have made it a rule.

Someone on the bowl game thread said it's Teague (the true freshman DL) and K Martin (starting LB), who are missing.

Would've been a non-issue if the U/Coyle/Fleck would've simply stated that those two had violated team rules and would not be playing or traveling to Detroit. It'd be over and done with and not even discussion during the game or mentioned in the game coverage, likely.

It would still be mentioned.

Top Bottom