Several U Football Players Face Discipline

The Strib continues to have a clear agenda against the Gophers, and now Fleck is giving them the middle finger. There's nothing wrong with that.

Not sure it worked out exactly the way he wanted though, with questions about the suspensions being asked at signing day. At this point it doesn't really matter since the suspensions (if any) will be apparent on game day, but a lot of casual fans just heard stories about the suspensions on signing day and missed the fact we have a top-40 class so far for 2019.

Not sure it worked out exactly the way he wanted though, with questions about the suspensions being asked at signing day. At this point it doesn't really matter since the suspensions (if any) will be apparent on game day, but a lot of casual fans just heard stories about the suspensions on signing day and missed the fact we have a top-40 class so far for 2019.

I disagree. I thought that made the media look far worse.

Not sure it worked out exactly the way he wanted though, with questions about the suspensions being asked at signing day. At this point it doesn't really matter since the suspensions (if any) will be apparent on game day, but a lot of casual fans just heard stories about the suspensions on signing day and missed the fact we have a top-40 class o far for 2019.

We know that’s an incremental improvement over most classes but is it likely to move the needle for casual fans? I’m not sure. I’d argue no. Beating Wisconsin? Yep.

This story hasn’t attracted national attention/ESPN front page precisely because of the lack of names, uncertainty over numbers involved.

I disagree. I thought that made the media look far worse.

But that's only because you're reading what you want to read, seeing what you want to see, etc.

99.99% of regular people, even regular fans, noticed that media coverage on signing day was devoted to the suspensions. That is 100% Fleck, Coyle, and the U's fault.

This story hasn’t attracted national attention/ESPN front page precisely because of the lack of names, uncertainty over numbers involved.

Conjecture.

Question: would you have rather had it attract national attention/ESPN **before** the game, with the game itself being the last national and local coverage?? OR are you going to be pleased now, to have "gotten your way", and the national and local coverage will dwell on the suspensions, rather than the game, because of Fleck's bungling of the situation?

But that's only because you're reading what you want to read, seeing what you want to see, etc.

99.99% of regular people, even regular fans, noticed that media coverage on signing day was devoted to the suspensions. That is 100% Fleck, Coyle, and the U's fault.

You’re accusing me of conjecture after writing that? How many watched the press conference all the way through? A few hundred to a few thousand at most. PJ delivered a great press conference.

Nothing in the papers the next day.

It could have been put to bed with one simple press release. Perhaps a few answered questions at a PJ press conference dedicated to ending the speculation and attention. Now I expect that too much of the game commentary will be over who isn't playing and guessing why. It isn't fair to the suspended player/players to be subjects of misconduct/culture abuse speculation. This looks more like a Coyle mistake than PJ to me. Clemson got it right. The question remains why use ostarine when you can just eat another portion of bacon! :)

Nothing in the papers the next day.

So as I said in #635 ... you'd rather cut off your nose just to spite your face.

There's going to be negative coverage AFTER the game, possibly picked up nationally (we'll see), because of the way this has been handled.

The M.O. of this situation has, and continues to be roughly this "ignore and deflect today, because who the heck gives a rat's behind about tomorrow".

I’d have to agree with you. I was approached by a few co-workers and the only questions I was asked were about the suspensions. Not one about the signing class. My co-workers are the definition of the casual fan. GHers are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, that's the media's fault. They chose to try and dig up negatives rather than focus on the positives. They failed terribly and looked foolish in the process.

I expect to win this game tomorrow, but if we do not and end the season with a losing record there will be plenty of speculation and blame. It is all unnecessary. Don't blame PJ. Coyle and Kaler are calling these shots, or at least they should be.

So as I said in #635 ... you'd rather cut off your nose just to spite your face.

There's going to be negative coverage AFTER the game, possibly picked up nationally (we'll see), because of the way this has been handled.

The M.O. of this situation has, and continues to be roughly this "ignore and deflect today, because who the heck gives a rat's behind about tomorrow".

This may be up for ridiculous take of the year. Why on earth would this happen? Because a few guys don’t play?

They failed terribly and looked foolish in the process.

That's what you want it to be ..... not what it actually is. I'm afraid

There wouldn't have been any additional questions or further digging, if the U/Coyle/Fleck had gotten out ahead of it and put it to bed in the first place.

I expect to win this game tomorrow, but if we do not and end the season with a losing record there will be plenty of speculation and blame. It is all unnecessary. Don't blame PJ. Coyle and Kaler are calling these shots, or at least they should be.

Oh no the horror of losing a bowl game. It will come with endless speculation and blame.

The vast majority of which will come from a few posters who have lost their minds over a violation of team rules.

a few posters who have lost their minds over a violation of team rules.

Nope.

As has been made abundantly clear, none of us actually care which rules were broken. I think I speak for a few of the posters at least, in saying that our main gripe has been the bungling of how this issue was addressed with the media. Which in turn directly caused the circus at the signing day media conference, and shifted attention away from recruiting onto this issue, needlessly.

At least the game isn't going to be on national TV. It would be something else if ESPN was covering it.

Yes, that's a story. It will be printed.

Guaranteed locally. Let's see if ESPN/national picks it up too.

“MN suspends players for violation of team rules” after the fact doesn’t move the needle. Nobody cares. If it were a juicy story of some sort, like 6-8 or more suspended players, that might be interesting but that scenario did not happen.

Nope.

As has been made abundantly clear, none of us actually care which rules were broken. I think I speak for a few of the posters at least, in saying that our main gripe has been the bungling of how this issue was addressed with the media. Which in turn directly caused the circus at the signing day media conference, and shifted attention away from recruiting onto this issue, needlessly.

Assuming it wasn't a serious violation (which it does not sound like it was, but our department chose to handle this in the way guaranteed to fuel speculation and rumor), your comment is spot on.

I’d have to agree with you. I was approached by a few co-workers and the only questions I was asked were about the suspensions. Not one about the signing class. My co-workers are the definition of the casual fan. GHers are not.

I had a completely opposite experience.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Nope.

Did they bungle anything? Many think not. That is your opinion. Stating it as a fact does not make it true.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Nope.

They bungled it so bad it has almost completely gone away without ever getting covered by espn.
They bungled t so bad the names of those involved and the infraction still hasn’t come out.

Pretty bad bungle. Especially considering the newspaper said they already knew everything just couldn’t confirm. They bungled it so bad the Strib still can’t confirm

If you go into the deal with the pre-determined opinion that the media hates the Gophers and treats them unfairly, that's what you're going to see.

Media bias is in the eye of the beholder.

If you go into the deal with the pre-determined opinion that the media hates the Gophers and treats them unfairly, that's what you're going to see.

You don’t think media bias exists?
Media bias is in the eye of the beholder. You are correct. If you have the same bias, you don’t see it.

You don’t think media bias exists?
Media bias is in the eye of the beholder. You are correct. If you have the same bias, you don’t see it.

I don’t think that the local media has a bias against the Gophers. I also don’t think refs have a bias against the Vikings. Another popular conspiracy theory in these parts.

I don’t think that the local media has a bias against the Gophers. I also don’t think refs have a bias against the Vikings. Another popular conspiracy theory in these parts.

Congrats

If you don’t think Rochelle Olson (and others) have a pre-existing bias check out her twitter feed for exhibit A. It’s impossible to completely ferret out prejudice and bias in hard journalism but don’t cry foul when observers point it out. Journalists circling the wagons and defending bad journalists only deepens distrust. The profession has a descending glide path somewhere around lawyers, care salesmen, or realtors for a reason. Ethics, fairness, honesty matter to some people.

This whole suspension topic is a waste of time for all involved. A total non-story as these 44 pages of foul excrement will show anyone foolish enough to read them.

Some player or players did something minor the HC did not like and the media is not going to get he very boring details. end of story.. we will know who the one or two are tomorrow

Maybe one Willaard Shapira of Roseville MN will take up this topic next as he and others who write to the Star Tribune editorial page are worried about all the money the U of M, and taxpayers contribute to the football program. The clown Shapiro and those that worry about this big "scandal" deserve to live on an Island in the middle of Lake Erie together.

We all know of course that that the football program gets zero net dollars from the U of M or taxpayers. If anyone knows the senile or at least confused Willard personally, please invite ihm up the Joe Sensors tomorrow, buy him a double gin and tonic and let him know.

Last edited:

If you don’t think Rochelle Olson (and others) have a pre-existing bias check out her twitter feed for exhibit A. It’s impossible to completely ferret out prejudice and bias in hard journalism but don’t cry foul when observers point it out. Journalists circling the wagons and defending bad journalists only deepens distrust. The profession has a descending glide path somewhere around lawyers, care salesmen, or realtors for a reason. Ethics, fairness, honesty matter to some people.

Maybe if PJ would be honest about what is happening with the suspensions it might help. He has refused to tell the number of athletes who are going to be suspended. By doing that, he creates suspicion of his motives and what he is covering up. Other coaches have been more candid about suspensions as has been seen the last couple of days. Mr. Fleck is a public employee and he makes a hefty salary. It would not hurt him to be honest.

Players get suspended all the time, why is this such a big deal, 3339????

cover up? motives?? public employees?? not being honest??

These are internal team matters, (low level no less) and no one outside the them is entitled to any response at all. What a load of BS

Last edited:

Top Bottom