Several U Football Players Face Discipline

BEGS the Question again: How can this be a principle of the culture...the Farmers Alliance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwH2IGCmlec

12/13 post: I certainly don't understand or agree with how PJ and Coyle have chosen to deal with this issue. "PJ will be available to the media on Dec 19th" That's signing day...let's just welcome the new guys with conversation on discipline and suspensions. That'll impress everybody.

You can discipline players without punishing the innocent players and fans. Don't agree with not allowing these guys to practice, unless they are in fact off the team permanently?

500 questions, we'll deal with them on signing day. Hey!!! Let's bring in Kool and the Gang and we'll all sing Celebration....thanks for joining our program.

Um ... trust me ... there has never been a post of yours worth repeating.

Way doesn’t anyone care about how this affects the innocent fans. Those are the ones really hurt by all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decisions have consequences. Euphoria is not exactly at an all time high riding the momentum of beating Wisconsin and signing a very nice class... Why? Instead the buzz and focus is on disciplining players and self handicapping the likelihood of winning the bowl game instead to a loss. In addition to hearing: "We have lots of guys who don't practice for various reasons." Oh goodie...sounds like preparation is always an issue. Instead it's a game show: Guess who is suspended and why.
But people complain about low attendance, poor ticket sales, the Gophers don't travel well so they are slotted in Detroit...it's all about the decisions...how things are handled...and there is no need for innocent fans to have to deal with this story or handicapping the chances of winning if they were late for class or heaven forbid attended in T Shirts if it was all handled differently.
Make fun...don't even think of wondering what the score might be with different preparation....different decisions.

Um ... trust me ... there has never been a post of yours worth repeating.

Two of my biggest fans. I wish you a Merry Christmas. I always enjoy reading your enlightening, thought provoking comments.

Decisions have consequences. Euphoria is not exactly at an all time high riding the momentum of beating Wisconsin and signing a very nice class... Why? Instead the buzz and focus is on disciplining players and self handicapping the likelihood of winning the bowl game instead to a loss. In addition to hearing: "We have lots of guys who don't practice for various reasons." Oh goodie...sounds like preparation is always an issue. Instead it's a game show: Guess who is suspended and why.
But people complain about low attendance, poor ticket sales, the Gophers don't travel well so they are slotted in Detroit...it's all about the decisions...how things are handled...and there is no need for innocent fans to have to deal with this story or handicapping the chances of winning if they were late for class or heaven forbid attended in T Shirts if it was all handled differently.
Make fun...don't even think of wondering what the score might be with different preparation....different decisions.

Just shut the whole program down. The Gophers might lose a bowl game.

The horror of it all for the innocent fans to have to deal with something like this.

I give PJ a big fat F for the way this was handled. It was frankly a non issue - non newsworthy speculative report that grew legs in no small part because it was announced that PJ would not be available for comment until Signing Day. Well guess what - every hack in the Twin Cities was at Sign Day to ask the questions about the speculative report - and not talk at all about the signing class. Great way to build program enthusiasm PJ.

Free of charge, PJ, here is your next response to the next speculative report - which should be sent out a a news release and not given as an interview:

+++++++++

The University of MN football programs has rules for its team members designed to help maximize the academic and athletic performance of both the team as a unit and each student athlete individually. The team rules have helped many student athletes achieve their academic and athletic goals.

From time to time, a student athlete may stumble and violate a team rule. An appropriate action will be taken to correct the student athlete's behavior and disciplinary action may be taken re-enforce the expected behavior required of team members.

For the privacy of the student athlete, the Football program will never confirm a violation of team rules has occurred nor will it identify players or any disciplinary action that might be taken.

If the Football program discovers a behavior or incident that is a serious violation of the University Code of Conduct, it will be immediately reported to the proper University or Civil authorities for further investigation. The Football program will again maintain the student athlete's privacy by making no comment and will rely on other University officials to make any appropriate statements.

++++++++++

Done and done.

Maybe 7 or 8 people will be unenthused about Gopher football in response to PJ Fleck's answers regarding the suspensions or whatever you want to call them.

Just let this thread die.

giphy.gif

We have to be sure it is dead!

When asked about this at the signing day, Coach Fleck took issue with the number and the source. He said a number of players are not practicing. He sited players in concussion protocol, working to repair injury, those who have decided to forgo the game to get ready for the draft, and players who have chosen to transfer will not play. When asked how many were suspended for team rules and he said one maybe a couple but certainly not more.

Last edited:

I give PJ a big fat F for the way this was handled. It was frankly a non issue - non newsworthy speculative report that grew legs in no small part because it was announced that PJ would not be available for comment until Signing Day. Well guess what - every hack in the Twin Cities was at Sign Day to ask the questions about the speculative report - and not talk at all about the signing class. Great way to build program enthusiasm PJ.

It's Coyle who deserves the big fat F. This is exactly one of the things that the Athletic Department should be taking care of. Coaches are not experts in handling the press and every coach should not have to hire a PR person. The AD should have in place a procedure for protecting the coaches, players and teams from these types of inquiries. They should be able to manage situations and direct the coaches and teams on what to say and when to hand off responsibility to the AD. In this case, it would have been easy to say due to privacy concerns, inquiries into player discpline is handled by the AD. This should be the case for all sports and would take a burden from the coaches they don't need.

If PJ gives an exact number, people can start figuring it out and that starts to ruin player privacy.

Here I thought Fleck was just being annoying. You're right though, he was being clever .. if you want to call it that ... in affirming as little as possible.

we don't need those players names published in the Strib for all non-football fans to read.

Agree to disagree. As I've explained already, to me the line is drawn at missing games. Especially if it's a starter or major contributor. That should be public knowledge. And I'm just fine if no details are given about what was done or what rules were broken. But the player who is inactive must be disclosed, in my book. My worthless opinion only!

Is his name Rochelle Olson?

She was definitely part of the circus today. I doubt she even knew what the real purpose of the press conference was today.

Here I thought Fleck was just being annoying. You're right though, he was being clever .. if you want to call it that ... in affirming as little as possible.

Agree to disagree. As I've explained already, to me the line is drawn at missing games. Especially if it's a starter or major contributor. That should be public knowledge. And I'm just fine if no details are given about what was done or what rules were broken. But the player who is inactive must be disclosed, in my book. My worthless opinion only!
They are handling it internally like most teams do and yet you are so bent out of shape that you don't know the names. The players know who messed up and likely what they did and they are seeing directly the consequences of violating team rules. Those that messed up are learning a very difficult but valuable lesson on how their actions have consequences and the pain of letting down their teammates. Good life lessons. That is the important thing here.

Last edited:

The players know who messed up and likely what they did and they are seeing directly the consequences of violating team rules. Those that messed up are learning a very difficult but valuable lesson on how their action has consequences and the pain of letting down their teammates. Good life lessons. That is the important thing here.

Nothing here is wrong .... and none of it invalidates my opinion, either.

I disagree. The whole myth of "the public has a right to know" does not supersede the party's desire to provide disclosure. Not every reporter is an investigator despite their delusions of automatically being one.

Why aren't these reporters so dogged about grades or community service? Because it's not salacious.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BEGS the Question again: How can this be a principle of the culture...the Farmers Alliance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwH2IGCmlec

12/13 post: I certainly don't understand or agree with how PJ and Coyle have chosen to deal with this issue. "PJ will be available to the media on Dec 19th" That's signing day...let's just welcome the new guys with conversation on discipline and suspensions. That'll impress everybody.

You can discipline players without punishing the innocent players and fans. Don't agree with not allowing these guys to practice, unless they are in fact off the team permanently?

500 questions, we'll deal with them on signing day. Hey!!! Let's bring in Kool and the Gang and we'll all sing Celebration....thanks for joining our program.

PJ is ageing like a POTUS. He looks 10 years older.

I wonder if Rochelle Olsen likes the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside"? After all, it is a song of dogged determinism pushing a biased agenda.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I refuse to contribute to this terrible thr e a d. Damn it. I just did.

TBF, original report said 6-8 missing practice not 6-8 suspended for bowl.

Oh, I’m being more than fair. You know they made it sound like 6-8+ players were facing suspension from the bowl. Not practicing = not playing.

Furthermore, despite saying they had all the details but were “awaiting confirmation” from the school, and despite stating those withheld details were based on statements from unnamed but obviously reliable, corroborating witnesses, they clearly had neither reliable or corroborating witnesses and threw out the 6-8 number to make a splashy headline despite the number not being in the right zip code.

Then, they play dumb at the press conference and question why the players were suspended, how many...they never knew anything to begin with which is what drew my fire in the first place. It’s pretty shameful. We know they want scandal to generate views, we know Rochelle has an agenda that goes beyond ad revenue. They wanted scalps and PJ understands not to play their game. Giving them more information simply raises additional opportunities to bring up past department scandals.

Last edited:

Guy who walked on; worked hard; became a starter; represented the school well and you can't resist taking a cheap shot just to prove you're so god damn clever. Might want to edit the "scum" tag to include yourself.

Wow....how you took that as a rip on Cashman and not a rip on Doogie is beyond me. Cashmoney is a compliment...title earned through hard work. Lighten up.

A few days ago someone in this very thread predicted that would happen. It might have been me who predicted it. I don't know why they would've expected anything different. This was the first chance the media had to ask about it. It could've been avoided with a quick media briefing or even a statement right after it was initially reported.

Nope, absolutely not worth acknowledging their crappy reporting. Strib has absolutely no credibility. No point in giving them credibility. They want to ask stupid questions and get stupid answers then they can go ahead and do that.

If he tells them anything more than he did today then the front page tomorrow would be "4 PLAYERS MISSING BOWL GAME."

Not worth it. Strib is a hack of a newspaper and people need to stop buying it.

Last edited:

For those that didn’t see it I bookmarked the video to start at the question and answer portion. Rochelle pesters him early on and again 20 minutes later at the conclusion of the press conference. PJ handles it masterfully, doesn’t give them anything and subtly shreds their professionalism in one fell swoop. I have new respect for the man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T7qb0SaGyVA?start=2340" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those that didn’t see it I bookmarked the video to start at the question and answer portion. Rochelle pesters him early on and again 20 minutes later at the conclusion of the press conference. PJ handles it masterfully, doesn’t give them anything and subtly shreds their professionalism in one fell swoop. I have new respect for the man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T7qb0SaGyVA?start=2340" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He doesn’t live his mantra of Farmers Alliance ever. He espouses one thing, does another. He has no integrity. He is a phony through and through. He had no problem throwing Croft to the media when he was suspended. Now, nothing. I don’t really care to be honest, just totally inconsistent.

Now, let people get back to celebrating the 12th ranked recruits in the conference.

He doesn’t live his mantra of Farmers Alliance ever. He espouses one thing, does another. He has no integrity. He is a phony through and through. He had no problem throwing Croft to the media when he was suspended. Now, nothing. I don’t really care to be honest, just totally inconsistent.

Now, let people get back to celebrating the 12th ranked recruits in the conference.

Yeah, he wasn’t necessarily impartial to Croft but it seems very likely they butted heads off the field over more than his performances.

This is a case of a reliably biased set of media that wanted to create a story based on faulty information or possibly wholly manufactured information and it didn’t work out for them. PJ really did a nice job defending his players in the spirit of some other coaches, most recently Mark Dantonio. He did a great job. It will be interesting too see how Rochelle frames this exchange for her bombshell story tomorrow. “PJ Fleck: Multiple Starters May Be Suspended for Bowl Game for Disciplinary Reasons” seems likely.

PJ is ageing like a POTUS. He looks 10 years older.

I would have to disagree. However we can agree that this thread has totally lost it. Give it a rest.

Doogie seemed to have the scoop. Surprised Rochelle and the gang haven’t contacted him. Per his twit feed he heard something BIG wink wink.

I loved the way Fleck answered the questions in his own way without giving the reporters the specific information they wanted. And he wasn't going to be baited into an outright refusal to answer their questions so they could rip him for it in the morning papers. Fleck kept a calm demeanor throughout the questioning and made it seem like he was cooperating with the reporters when he really wasn't. He even took subtle shots at them several times for reporting the 6 - 8 players numbers without reliable information. It was a master class in dealing with the media.

Last edited:

Top Bottom