Several U Football Players Face Discipline

Again, it is people here making a whole bunch of assumptions. The Strib simply reported that six players have been held out of practice for violating team rules. They also state that it does not involve violence or assault. The fact that six players are being held out of practice is news.

Is it front page above the fold news? Yes, 6 players held out of practice is same spot they ran the story about Nixon resigning.

Is it front page above the fold news? Yes, 6 players held out of practice is same spot they ran the story about Nixon resigning.

I don’t know - people are interested in the Gophers. I don’t read the paper copy so not aware it is above the fold or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep checking this thread to see 1. Who violated team rules 2. what were the team rules that were violated

But, unfortunately each time I check it's just more bickering about the AD, media, and everything and anything else.

So glad you posted this, last time I checked this thread was on page 11 I believe. Good to know I can just skip out on the pages inbetween since apparently there is still no real information to be had about the OP. Just a lot of bickering about the usual stuff but I can catch up on that in pretty much any other thread on the site so no need to read those 8+ pages. :)

Yes. Sorry, my OP was weird and confusing. I did a copy/paste from a text file I had going and realized I left half of it out. Too late to fix it but rest assured there was a real awesome point made.

I guess I don't even care enough care enough about all of this suspension things to proorfread any more before I post me comment.

For the record, for the Strib it wasn't an above the fold news story. It has a brief mention in the sidebar below the fold on the front page. In the sports section it is on the 2nd page due to a prep sports special section covering up the normal front page. Then on that 2nd page it's above the fold. That's Wednesday's paper.

Thursday I don't see any mention of the story at all.

Last edited:

I keep checking this thread to see 1. Who violated team rules 2. what were the team rules that were violated

But, unfortunately each time I check it's just more bickering about the AD, media, and everything and anything else.

Yep. We are probably all insane, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Like I said way back in the thread ..... they print what sells. Trying to survive these days.

If that’s how they are making decisions, then they aren’t a news organization. They are an entertainment organization.

Which is fine. But let’s call it what it is.

I love posts complaining about complaints. Especially precious are those that have read pages of posts and are mad they didn’t get the answers they wanted. You might want to avoid message boards if all you want is facts and agreement.

Whatever happened, happened. Why are people arguing about it before we know what it was. While I wish Coyle would manage it differently, he hasn't and likely won't.

Some will blame PJ. I won't. It's unrealistic to expect any coach to eliminate dumb choices from among over 100 18-23 year-old student-athletes. While I dislike much of his rhetoric, I think PJ does communicate clearly with his players what he expects from them off the field, as well as provides opportunities to develop life skills with them. And, I would expect that he will handle a response with the players just fine, if it is appropriate for the coach to do so (sometimes suspensions are not a coach decision). We will find out.

The thing I think is dumb is that a handful of people posting here, not many, have different expectations for Gopher coaches as it relates to student actions off the field. For one coach, it can't be the coaches fault. For another coach, it's the coaches fault. That's dumb.

So glad you posted this, last time I checked this thread was on page 11 I believe. Good to know I can just skip out on the pages inbetween since apparently there is still no real information to be had about the OP. Just a lot of bickering about the usual stuff but I can catch up on that in pretty much any other thread on the site so no need to read those 8+ pages. :)

See #291.

Up to Post # 314 and nothing indicating that this is anything more than modest college dumbassory so that's good. Think I can relax now--main thing is that this isn't another program changing black eye. Experienced way too many of those over the years with Gopher athletics.

Up to Post # 314 and nothing indicating that this is anything more than modest college dumbassory so that's good. Think I can relax now--main thing is that this isn't another program changing black eye. Experienced way too many of those over the years with Gopher athletics.

My thoughts as well. All has been said is TEAM RULES which could be wearing non collar shirts to class. And that is why they probably don't feel like they have to publish the list for their upcoming opponent to know.

Last edited:

If that’s how they are making decisions, then they aren’t a news organization. They are an entertainment organization.

Which is fine. But let’s call it what it is.

When did journalism become a nonprofit vocation?

About 5-7 years ago for many of them. They are free to print what they feel is fit, and we are free (in many cases) to criticize their methods and motives. Compared to many issues this is a pretty benign tempest and entertaining, sure. I’m not sure it’s “good journalism” but many have a loose definition of that.

About 5-7 years ago for many of them. They are free to print what they feel is fit, and we are free (in many cases) to criticize their methods and motives. Compared to many issues this is a pretty benign tempest and entertaining, sure. I’m not sure it’s “good journalism” but many have a loose definition of that.

Of course anyone can criticize anyone for just about anything.

The idea that for-profit newspapers are not supposed to maximize profit is both hilarious and terribly naive.

I think the U will address this after signing day. They don’t want to give credence to anything until everyone is locked down.

If that's a concern, then I get the strategy and they know more than we do. But I'm sure they know that when they do their media work on signing day to talk about their second really nice class in a row, among the first questions from everybody will be about the suspensions rather than the class.

There is a difference between being about profit and being all about profit.

I don’t think the Strib is all about profit because they mean bad. I just think they know they have to do it to survive.
Strib intentionally had a headline that would draw peoples’ memories to two years ago on a story they hadn’t confirmed a single detail about.

There is a difference between being about profit and being all about profit.

I don’t think the Strib is all about profit because they mean bad. I just think they know they have to do it to survive.
Strib intentionally had a headline that would draw peoples’ memories to two years ago on <b>a story they hadn’t confirmed a single detail about.</b>

Actually, the Strib confirmed all the details they printed with multiple sources. They chose not to print the ones they didn’t confirm.

Of course anyone can criticize anyone for just about anything.

The idea that for-profit newspapers are not supposed to maximize profit is both hilarious and terribly naive.

Its quite obvious your last sentence is true and has been so for a long, long time. It’s fair to criticize the methodology, no? Journalists ought to be above National Enquirer level, in an ideal world. Call me a dreamer.

Actually, the Strib confirmed all the details they printed with multiple sources. They chose not to print the ones they didn’t confirm.

List some details they confirmed:

Here was the story that I read:
Some amount of players that they didn’t specify violated team rules and was held out of practice.
They might miss bowl but they might not.
We can’t tell you what they did.

Did I miss any of the specifics they gave? Or did they basically say some amount of people did something and missed practice and might have more punishment above that?

Some amount of players that they didn’t specify violated team rules and was held out of practice.

Did I miss any of the specifics they gave? Or did they basically say some amount of people did something and missed practice and might have more punishment above that?

Please don't read the stories about Fleck's contract extension. Both papers used unnamed sources..:cool:

You got it above. They confirmed that a number of players violated team rules and were suspended from practice.

You got it above. They confirmed that a number of players violated team rules and were suspended from practice.

How many years do you think we have to go before kids drinking doesn’t require the Strib putting it on the front page of the sport section with reference to a sexual assault scandal in a different year?

How many years do you think we have to go before kids drinking doesn’t require the Strib putting it on the front page of the sport section with reference to a sexual assault scandal in a different year?
Too, too many.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Different debate. You said they ran the story without confirming a single thing. That wasn’t true. What they said happened was confirmed.

Top Bottom