Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

I don't think you need to release every violation of team rules to the public. Kid misses practice, skips a class, etc. it doesn't mean we need to know about it. If its a legal matter, we'd find out. Who honestly cares this much about finding this out ahead of time?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxyJR1 View Post
    Fleck addressed on KFAN saying kids miss practice for many reasons, but 2-3 will miss bowl for team rules. It's not 6-8.
    So you’re saying the original story with “multiple” solid sources was inaccurate? Hard to believe. Pulitzer on the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    I guess they have the right to keep it all internal, but that certainly doesn't help with all the speculation. From a PR standpoint they may have been better off just explaining it all from the get-go.
    Who is speculating? Maybe 50 people on the Gopherhole? The vast number of people in Minnesota don't even know the Gophers are playing a bowl game. They have no clue and no concern.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Love it. Head football coach: “yeah there might be a player or even players who miss the bowl game. Well yeah, there might even be a starter, or even starters who miss the bowl game! I mean, who really knows, right??”
    I agree with not naming names at this point. He doesn't need to, and it would be inappropriate. All that was needed when this broke was that a few players were disciplined for a violation of team rules. This has been handled internally and it's up to the players to resolve any issues that exist

IF this statement had come out, this line of questions could have been shut down quickly - as we said last week, we're not going to comment on internal discpline issues, next question.

Now the headline is Coach won't answer questions about discipline on team vs. Gophers land second good class in a row. Stupid mistake on Coyle's part, but I expect that. Fleck is not handling questions well, that's unexpected.
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

Blog Entries

Maybe it's 2-3 b/c 2 of them decided to skip the bowl and 4-5 is closer to the reported 6-8. hmmmmm
    JohnnyBoy18: "I just want all three entirely new staffs to get their credit and thanks." --11/29/2017

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    I agree with not naming names at this point. He doesn't need to, and it would be inappropriate. All that was needed when this broke was that a few players were disciplined for a violation of team rules. This has been handled internally and it's up to the players to resolve any issues that exist

IF this statement had come out, this line of questions could have been shut down quickly - as we said last week, we're not going to comment on internal discpline issues, next question.

Now the headline is Coach won't answer questions about discipline on team vs. Gophers land second good class in a row. Stupid mistake on Coyle's part, but I expect that. Fleck is not handling questions well, that's unexpected.
    The questions are not just about who is involved, they're also trying to get more information about what happened. He still would have been asked about the situation even if names were released.

It’s one thing if a player or group of players does something stupid and the coach makes them do up-downs, run laps, come in early to pick up trash, whatever. Internal discipline or “tough love”. That, fine, don’t need to hear about it, keep it out of the papers.

I draw the line at missing actual games. Missing a bowl game is even more serious.

The U is a public institution. Funded by public tax dollars.

That proves that the public had a right to know who won’t be playing in the bowl game for their public football team.

Wild guess that Fleck won’t say purely because of his gamesmanship crap where he won’t ever say who is playing, who is hurt, etc. Wish the NCAA would force coaches to disclose who isn’t playing in games at least X days before that game.

I don’t need to know exactly what rules were broken, but it should be known who it is.
    Disagree. If it isn’t public record already, the school should only comment on injury or discipline issues with permission of the players. Don’t know why data privacy doesn’t apply to college athletes.

Which is simply him trying not to have to say which starters won’t be on the field, because he doesn’t want to give the other team an advantage.

Again, wish the NCAA would force coaches to disclose inactives X days before the game.
    The NCAA doesn’t really have the power to command universities to violate data privacy law.
    Which in some cases would apply for who is out for games.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    The questions are not just about who is involved, they're also trying to get more information about what happened. He still would have been asked about the situation even if names were released.
    Here, a single Gopher internet site, this thread already has 55 thousand plus views and over 400 posts. So yeah there would be additional questions asked about it at the Press Conference. Where they said the issue was going to be addressed.

Which it has been IMHO.

Probably won't know who until the 2-deep is released. Or until the announcers of the game mention it.

Probably never know whether unibody skipping the game was suspended or not. Doubt that Fleck or Coyle will address it.

Glad to hear it wasn't 6-8 guys involved. Sorry to hear though that "false" information was spreading around during a critical time of recruiting. Personally I believe just to allow the process to play out and just allow coach to do just what he was hired to do, coach accordingly and deal with things that he needs to. We don't need to get into the "gossip" part of the program.

I'm sure every program has some issues of sort and it is not my goal to micromanage this particularly situation. We get upset the announcers during the game bring things like this up, well some people continually do the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    Disagree. If it isn’t public record already, the school should only comment on injury or discipline issues with permission of the players. Don’t know why data privacy doesn’t apply to college athletes.
    Injury issues are of course subject to HIPAA, but I'm not sure where you got your oft-repeated notion that players have a right to privacy with regard to discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Injury issues are of course subject to HIPAA, but I'm not sure where you got your oft-repeated notion that players have a right to privacy with regard to discipline.
    If a school suspends a regular student for an academic or discipline violation or data. outside of expulsion. Most of that is subject to data privacy.

If they got in trouble for cheating on a test, the university could not release that. I’d argue the program shouldn’t either.

No idea what the law says in regards to extra curricular at the college level. I’m more familiar with k-12 law.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    If a school suspends a regular student for an academic or discipline violation or data. outside of expulsion. Most of that is subject to data privacy.

If they got in trouble for cheating on a test, the university could not release that. I’d argue the program shouldn’t either.

No idea what the law says in regards to extra curricular at the college level. I’m more familiar with k-12 law.
    Right, but regular students aren't on scholarship, nor are they being suspended from athletic competition. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Default Coach P.J. Fleck says at least one starter disciplined for Gophers bowl game - Strib

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said Wednesday that at least one starter will miss the Quick Lane Bowl because of discipline, but he disputed a report from last week that six to eight players have missed practice this month for a violation of team rules.

“A player or players will miss the bowl game,” Fleck said. “Not six to eight. That is completely inaccurate.”

Fleck, speaking for the first time since the Star Tribune report of a disciplinary issue and possible suspensions surfaced last week, declined multiple requests from reporters to specify the number of players who have been disciplined.

Asked if any starting players will be affected for the bowl game, Fleck said “a starter or starters.”..

http://www.startribune.com/coach-p-j..._mid=149178825

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    My God.....look at this headline at the Strib:

"Fleck says 'a starter or starters' disciplined, won't play in Gophers bowl game"

We're doomed!!