Several U Football Players Face Discipline

Uhhh ... so is that news??? Or just some weird line he stuffed in there??

Has it been reported anywhere else that some players are suspended and won’t play in the bowl game???

Preposterous Statement of the year front-runner for sure.

What was the preposterous statement that you disagree with? His/her opinion that they are asshats, or that the posters here could write a sports section on par with the Strib? Just asking you know...for a friend.

From the article, a real gem:

It’s possible the Vikings could win their remaining three games; it’s also possible they could lose all three.

I couldn't wait to go get the paper this morning to see if Shooter thought there was any possibility we might win 1 or 2 of the final 3 games.

Maybe Doogie missed the announcement by Cashmoney that he is skipping the bowl game.

Guy who walked on; worked hard; became a starter; represented the school well and you can't resist taking a cheap shot just to prove you're so god damn clever. Might want to edit the "scum" tag to include yourself.

Guy who walked on; worked hard; became a starter; represented the school well and you can't resist taking a cheap shot just to prove you're so god damn clever. Might want to edit the "scum" tag to include yourself.

Not sure how you concluded that was a rip on Cashman. Lighten up Francis.

Not sure how you concluded that was a rip on Cashman. Lighten up Francis.
No kidding. Francis gotta untwist the grundy undies.

Maybe Doogie missed the announcement by Cashmoney that he is skipping the bowl game.
I'd like to point out, and I mean this sincerely, that there are many decaffeinated brands on the market that taste just as good as the real thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fleck addressed on KFAN saying kids miss practice for many reasons, but 2-3 will miss bowl for team rules. It's not 6-8.

Yes, Fleck said a player or players will miss the bowl game, but he didn't know where the "6-8" came from.

He said kids miss practice who are transferring, some had finals, some are injured, some are in concussion protocol, and some broke team rules.

It’s one thing if a player or group of players does something stupid and the coach makes them do up-downs, run laps, come in early to pick up trash, whatever. Internal discipline or “tough love”. That, fine, don’t need to hear about it, keep it out of the papers.

I draw the line at missing actual games. Missing a bowl game is even more serious.

The U is a public institution. Funded by public tax dollars.

That proves that the public had a right to know who won’t be playing in the bowl game for their public football team.

Wild guess that Fleck won’t say purely because of his gamesmanship crap where he won’t ever say who is playing, who is hurt, etc. Wish the NCAA would force coaches to disclose who isn’t playing in games at least X days before that game.

I don’t need to know exactly what rules were broken, but it should be known who it is.

It’s one thing if a player or group of players does something stupid and the coach makes them do up-downs, run laps, come in early to pick up trash, whatever. Internal discipline or “tough love”. That, fine, don’t need to hear about it, keep it out of the papers.

I draw the line at missing actual games. Missing a bowl game is even more serious.

That proves that the public had a right to know who won’t be playing in the bowl game for their public football team.

Wild guess that Fleck won’t say purely because of his gamesmanship crap where he won’t ever say who is playing, who is hurt, etc. Wish the NCAA would force coaches to disclose who isn’t playing in games at least X days before that game.

I don’t need to know exactly what rules were broken, but it should be known who it is.
I disagree. What if a player or players made a dumb mistake, but a dumb mistake that did not hurt another person? If the situation provides a teachable moment for that person or persons and it doesn't need to always be elevated into the public fray keep it within the team.

He mentioned that kids have missed games for missing class. Maybe his standard is already higher than the general public. He probably feels it doesn't need to be public if his standard is higher.

To both of you, easy response: like I said, the huge step change threshold is missing games. That’s the difference. That’s when the public deserves to know who is missing. NOT what they did per se, but who’s “inactive”.

He mentioned that kids have missed games for missing class. Maybe his standard is already higher than the general public. He probably feels it doesn't need to be public if his standard is higher.

So if he's said the reasons publicly before, why not in this situation?

My best guess is they failed a drug test. Coach Fleck does random drug tests outside of the NCAA mandatory drug tests, he has had drug tests after big events such as spring jam, big wins in the past.

Not specific kids but that players have been suspended for missing class in the past. He said that people will figure it out on game day.

He said that people will figure it out on game day.

Which is simply him trying not to have to say which starters won’t be on the field, because he doesn’t want to give the other team an advantage.

Again, wish the NCAA would force coaches to disclose inactives X days before the game.

I guess they have the right to keep it all internal, but that certainly doesn't help with all the speculation. From a PR standpoint they may have been better off just explaining it all from the get-go.

Rosters have 105 players. Do people really think college coaches spend that much time based on who is starting? Media can ask after the game and he will say the player didn't play due to team rules and it's a privilege to play for the team. I really think it's dumb that people think they need more information if no legal issues are in play.

Speculation is usually worse, or more drastic, than the truth. All the U had to do is put out a 2 sentence statement. "Players X, Y and Z will not participate in the Quick Lane bowl due to violation of team rules. The Gopher football program will have no further comment on this matter."

Instead, they let people speculate and spread rumors.

(Some) college football coaches think they're guarding government secrets.

Last edited:

Speculation is usually worse, or more drastic, than the truth. All the U had to do is put out a 2 sentence statement. "Players X, Y and Z will not participate in the Quick Lane bowl due to violation of team rules. The Gopher football program will have no further comment on this matter."

Instead, they let people speculate and spread rumors.

(Some) college football coaches think they're guarding government secrets.

And they could have added that no laws were broken, if that is truly the case. I think that alone would have ended some of the speculation.

Top Bottom