Several U Football Players Face Discipline

Different debate. You said they ran the story without confirming a single thing. That wasn’t true. What they said happened was confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you call saying a non-specified number of players were held out of practice a news story. Okay you win

They should run a story saying somewhere between 0-85 scholarship players didn’t practice today and give it the headline “some gophers could face discipline” any time they see their ratings slip.

They can reference back to Tracy and the insight bowl case. Probably mention Dom jones. Maybe even Jake Trice.

Last edited:

If you call saying a non-specified number of players were held out of practice a news story. Okay you win

They should run a story saying somewhere between 0-85 scholarship players didn’t practice today and give it the headline “some gophers could face discipline” any time they see their ratings slip.

They can reference back to Tracy and the insight bowl case. Probably mention Dom jones. Maybe even Jake Trice.

Going off track again in your last 2 paragraphs. They confirmed the info they presented. Period.

Yes, I think 6-8 players being suspended from practice is news. First page news? No. Related to the past events? No.
But it is news.

Going off track again in your last 2 paragraphs. They confirmed the info they presented. Period.

Yes, I think 6-8 players being suspended from practice is news. First page news? No. Related to the past events? No.
But it is news.

The purpose of the story was to form a narrative in regards to the football team, otherwise the 2016 incident would not have been mentioned. That episode is totally irrelevant, unless one wants to form an opinion in the mind of the reader.

The purpose of the story was to form a narrative in regards to the football team, otherwise the 2016 incident would not have been mentioned. That episode is totally irrelevant, unless one wants to form an opinion in the mind of the reader.

I agree the motive for adding that mention was transparent. I agree it is irrelevant.
I never said it wasn’t.

I hate adding to this thread/non thread, but... here is how it affects the energy around the program: An older Co-worker who is a Notre Dame grad comes into my office today and said “the gophers just cannot get their stuff together”. I say what do you mean and where did you read it? He replies ESPN. Bottom line the players have to know that they have to be extra good. Like it or not this program is going to be under scrutiny because of past events.
I know Coyle and Fleck both realize this and hopefully we can have a chunk of time in the future where the news is related to the play on the field and the good things that the team is doing in the community.

I agree the motive for adding that mention was transparent. I agree it is irrelevant.
I never said it wasn’t.

Greder didn’t mention the incident lacks assault or other violence in his Press story. It’s fair to say when someone writes a story about mass suspensions like this without any relevant details they are painting a picture in the mind of the reader, particularly when the Tribune throws in the bit on a sexual assault scandal. Forming a narrative is easy to do and can go many directions depending on the bias of the writer and editors. It’s a problem and I’m venting about it. Fair to disagree with my opinion.

I hate adding to this thread/non thread, but... here is how it affects the energy around the program: An older Co-worker who is a Notre Dame grad comes into my office today and said “the gophers just cannot get their stuff together”. I say what do you mean and where did you read it? He replies ESPN. Bottom line the players have to know that they have to be extra good. Like it or not this program is going to be under scrutiny because of past events.
<b>I know Coyle and Fleck both realize this </b>and hopefully we can have a chunk of time in the future where the news is related to the play on the field and the good things that the team is doing in the community.

Then why have they made no effort to diffuse the situation?

I know Coyle and Fleck both realize this and hopefully we can have a chunk of time in the future where the news is related to the play on the field and the good things that the team is doing in the community.

That’s a legitimate question and we will have to wait to see how it plays out.

Gotta believe that many Gopher fans are being asked the same thing WMTO. I certainly have been.

My response has been to mention Doogie and Burn's tweets and remind people that the local media usually goes way out of the way to pump-up any possible trouble over at the U.

If I know the questioner well I'll mention that last time both KSTP and the Pioneer Press sensationalized a bad story to begin with. They published pictures of at least 10 players and speculated that up to 21 players could be involved!

Only 4 players were eventually thrown out of school and 1 was suspended for a year.

If now those same reporters are saying that this isn't about assault or violence and really "isn't that bad", then truly it ISN'T that bad.

Why Coyle and Fleck won't say anything is a little troubling.

Unless the infractions really are so small that it they think it will all "just go away".

Just going to take a wild guess here. As the football coach and AD they probably don't feel it's their job to make more people aware of what seems to be not that big a deal. I mean they could spread rumors but that's sort of counter-productive. Don't you think so?

Dif-fuse. "spread or cause to spread over a wide area or among a large number of people."

There are a ton of coaches have team rules and breaking any of them can simply be a suspension.

So this seems be not much other than 6 guy's will miss the bowl game.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

[video]https://fat.gfycat.com/TinyPointedAlligatorgar.webm[/video]

Still nothing?

Hope reporters hound Fleck at whatever the next press conference is. Get him on record saying "I won't comment on that", at least, if the U is trying to bury this.

Still nothing?

Hope reporters hound Fleck at whatever the next press conference is. Get him on record saying "I won't comment on that", at least, if the U is trying to bury this.

Or maybe it is just a simple violation of team rules being handled internally that doesn't need to be aired publicly. Internal stuff happens all the time where a guy has to sit out for some practices or whatever, it doesn't need to be spelled out to the general public in complete detail. Not everything has to be a cover up, could just be a non-story that the Trib tried to scoop everyone on and failed.

You know like when Fox 9 had their expose exposing the fact that underage college kids drink......

Or maybe it is just a simple violation of team rules being handled internally that doesn't need to be aired publicly. Internal stuff happens all the time where a guy has to sit out for some practices or whatever, it doesn't need to be spelled out to the general public in complete detail. Not everything has to be a cover up, could just be a non-story that the Trib tried to scoop everyone on and failed.

You know like when Fox 9 had their expose exposing the fact that underage college kids drink......

I completely agree and don't understand why anyone would want Fleck or Coyle to comment on this non-story. All it would do is give our pathetic local press the opportunity to create an even longer negative story. I can imagine the Strib's article:

"University of Minnesota Athletic Director Mark Coyle held a press conference this afternoon to address new allegations of misconduct by members of the University football team. In his statement, Mr. Coyle CONFIRMED that 8 team members were currently SUSPENDED pending an INVESTIGATION into VIOLATIONS of team and University policies. When asked for further detail, Mr. Coyle REFUSED to respond citing FEDERAL student privacy laws.

These are only the most recent allegations in a long history for the troubled program. In December, 2016...blah blah blah"

I actually think Coyle knows that the local press is no friend to the U and treats them accordingly.

Flecks getting an extension. Nothing to see here. Row your boat elsewhere...

...I actually think Coyle knows that the local press is no friend to the U and treats them accordingly.

A former unconventional governor referred to our press as "jackals" and distributed "Official Jackal" press credentials. Sometimes the truth hurts.

A former unconventional governor referred to our press as "jackals" and distributed "Official Jackal" press credentials. Sometimes the truth hurts.

And that was before the internet...

I mean they're all just asshats. I just don't know how people here can defend them. They have absolutely no integrity, do no fact checking, and just spew their **** all over the newspaper. The anonymous posters of Gopherhole could put together a sports section on par with these guys. 1500 and the Strib are the two worst sports desks I have seen in any city I have lived in.

If they had built a relationship with anyone in the program then this would be a non-story by now, but instead they just spew **** and nobody in their right mind would trust them to write an objective article.

Act like assholes, get treated like assholes, I don't know why they expect anyone to answer their questions.

I can imagine the Strib's article:

"University of Minnesota Athletic Director Mark Coyle held a press conference this afternoon to address new allegations of misconduct by members of the University football team. In his statement, Mr. Coyle CONFIRMED that 8 team members were currently SUSPENDED pending an INVESTIGATION into VIOLATIONS of team and University policies. When asked for further detail, Mr. Coyle REFUSED to respond citing FEDERAL student privacy laws.

Wren writes for the Strib?

I mean they're all just asshats. I just don't know how people here can defend them. They have absolutely no integrity, do no fact checking, and just spew their **** all over the newspaper. The anonymous posters of Gopherhole could put together a sports section on par with these guys. 1500 and the Strib are the two worst sports desks I have seen in any city I have lived in.

If they had built a relationship with anyone in the program then this would be a non-story by now, but instead they just spew **** and nobody in their right mind would trust them to write an objective article.

Act like assholes, get treated like assholes, I don't know why they expect anyone to answer their questions.

Maybe my favorite rant post this season. Well done sir.

Jeez, guy. I'd hate to see your reaction if it was over something actually important.

Patrick...is that you? [emoji16]

Preposterous Statement of the year front-runner for sure.

Top Bottom