Several U Football Players Face Discipline

No. And that wasn't the discussion either.

Really? I read many posts about what a hack job the Strib has done here by reporting something that may be a “non-legal issue” that is “being handled internally.” How dare they report something that is happening and folks clearly want to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny. I think I have been a pretty big Reusse critic.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure he doesn’t like himself either, so that doesn’t disqualify you from being him.

As to why the Strib does these type of stories: rest assured the Strib does extensive research on the type of stories people respond to. On their website, they can track how many people click on a specific story. If a story gets a lot of clicks, you can expect to see more stories of that type.

In other words, stories about problems with U of MN athletes get a lot of clicks, which means the Strib actively looks to run more stories about problems with U of MN athletes. and so on.

The Strib is not doing this because they have a vendetta against the U of MN. they're doing it because it creates web traffic. It's business. just like, if the Big Mac sells more than other types of sandwiches, McDonald's is going to push the Big Mac.

Nah, it's this.

Strib: UMN suspends players.
People: Why?
[insert crickets sound]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Are you saying the Strib doesn't want to report the "why"? Or that people don't care about the "why"?

Are you saying the Strib doesn't want to report the "why"? Or that people don't care about the "why"?
The former, not the latter. When a question is posed in response to a statement, the one making the statement is expected to provide an answer. The Strib likes to issue edicts rather than provide context.

The former, not the latter. When a question is posed in response to a statement, the one making the statement is expected to provide an answer. The Strib likes to issue edicts rather than provide context.

The U could answer that quickly themselves with a press release.

So now it is the Strib’s fault for reporting something that is true? More of this media needs to be positive only crap. This place continues to amaze me.

The Strib is implying something not entirely true. Read the story. They report that several players are not practicing due to a discipline issue. They "face a possible" suspension from the bowl game. Nothing certain. But folks read it as a major problem and click

The strib has accomplished their goal by making a mountain out of a potentially non-molehill

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nah, it's this.

Strib: UMN suspends players.
People: Why?
[insert crickets sound]

That's not the Tribs fault though. They were pretty clear they didn't put more out there because the U hasn't confirmed. Coyle could get out in front now, but hasn't. Why do people blame the Trib? They have actually done well with this, not naming details or athletes.

Coyle has to make some type of statement.

Seems like it’s more they don’t know any details including how many players and the department isn’t commenting. Reporting rumors and innuendo as fact used to be frowned upon at least to some degree.

It's more that without the why, the whole story seems pointless, and seems like it's simply published to provoke a reaction rather than present news. We don't know how many are suspended, we don't know which players, we don't know if they're suspended for the bowl game, we don't even know if they were suspended for more than a practice. But something happened somewhere, maybe?

WHBBrewer speculated off the site that maybe players didn't wear collared shirts to class. Or maybe they sat in the back row. But everyone just assumes it's something illegal, mostly because of the phrasing the STrib used (and history/luck, granted).

Outside of the TC rags, nobody has run with this. I couldn't find mention of it anywhere else.

The Strib is implying something not entirely true. Read the story. They report that several players are not practicing due to a discipline issue. They "face a possible" suspension from the bowl game. Nothing certain. But folks read it as a major problem and click

The strib has accomplished their goal by making a mountain out of a potentially non-molehill

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They have simply reported the facts of what they have been told by their sources. They are not making a mountain out of nothing. It's true that student-athletes have been held out of practice and may be suspended. Obviously, it is news as people are interested in it. They didn't communicate anything more. In fact, they were also clear it did not involve violence or assault.

The problem is that they don't feel the need to find the "why". The violations could be pretty minor and really no issue for anyone outside of the team which makes this report unnecessary. Or it could be a bigger issue which justifies reporting. Do some research before reporting. The standard for an article regarding gopher athletics is a joke.

Hell even Doogie is holding off until he knows more and he tweets/reports anything.

It's more that without the why, the whole story seems pointless, and seems like it's simply published to provoke a reaction rather than present news. We don't know how many are suspended, we don't know which players, we don't know if they're suspended for the bowl game, we don't even know if they were suspended for more than a practice. But something happened somewhere, maybe?

WHBBrewer speculated off the site that maybe players didn't wear collared shirts to class. Or maybe they sat in the back row. But everyone just assumes it's something illegal, mostly because of the phrasing the STrib used (and history/luck, granted).

Outside of the TC rags, nobody has run with this. I couldn't find mention of it anywhere else.

Again, it is people here making a whole bunch of assumptions. The Strib simply reported that six players have been held out of practice for violating team rules. They also state that it does not involve violence or assault. The fact that six players are being held out of practice is news.

Seems like it’s more they don’t know any details including how many players and the department isn’t commenting. Reporting rumors and innuendo as fact used to be frowned upon at least to some degree.

I guess it all depends how reliable their "sources" are. I would assume when they say they are waiting for confirmation, they must mean from the U.
From the story:
Sources cited reasons for the disciplinary action, and the names of some players involved, but since those details have not been confirmed, the Star Tribune is not publishing that information. The number of players disciplined is said to be between six and eight, several sources said.

If it turns out the punishment is for something as minor as not wearing a collared shirt, then yes this story is ridiculous. That would seem like a really harsh punishment for that offense though.

They have simply reported the facts of what they have been told by their sources. They are not making a mountain out of nothing. It's true that student-athletes have been held out of practice and may be suspended. Obviously, it is news as people are interested in it. They didn't communicate anything more. In fact, they were also clear it did not involve violence or assault.

The situation could truly be as simple as players x,y, and z are being held out of practice because they didn't go to class. They will be suspended if they don't get to class. If they attend class they will practice and play.

Obviously that should be on the front of the sports page.

And, if it is that (which all indications are it isn't quite that simple), the Strib likely doesn't run it. They have enough info to go with, so they did. People get so worked out like the Strib is out to get the U athletic program. If the U would quit stepping on their own toes, the Strib wouldn't have a story. They have run plenty of positive stories throughout the fall as well.

The U could answer that quickly themselves with a press release.

No one reads the Strib, so there is no reason to issue a statement.

The only time I (and most others) know the Strib published something is when it gets rehashed on Gopherhole. I haven't picked it up in hard or e-addition in years.

The Strib and Pioneer Press are more of a symptom than the cause of the problem.

They are in the business of making money and click-bait makes money. You can't blame the Strib for running with the story, it'll drive traffic. We have a 14 page thread about college kids drinking/smoking weed and we're a tiny corner of the market.

The Strib and Pioneer Press are more of a symptom than the cause of the problem.

They are in the business of making money and click-bait makes money. You can't blame the Strib for running with the story, it'll drive traffic. We have a 14 page thread about college kids drinking/smoking weed and we're a tiny corner of the market.

And no one knows for sure if that is the problem.

A way to get out in front of a story like this would just to simply have a release that says x number of players will not be practicing and playing for the bowl game because they broke team rules. Would you even have to elaborate on the players names? I don’t think so.

No one reads the Strib, so there is no reason to issue a statement.

The only time I (and most others) know the Strib published something is when it gets rehashed on Gopherhole. I haven't picked it up in hard or e-addition in years.
Circulation of the paper strib is about 300,000 on weekdays and that doesn't count online readers.

That's not the Tribs fault though. They were pretty clear they didn't put more out there because the U hasn't confirmed. Coyle could get out in front now, but hasn't. Why do people blame the Trib? They have actually done well with this, not naming details or athletes.

Coyle has to make some type of statement.
The Strib is the presenter of the issue, or in this case, the tease. As others have said, not many people go deeper than the surface.

The Strib would never just put out "U Psych Department Causes Suicides" for a headline. Why does the athletic department get such flippant headlines?

Who: don’t know, maybe 6-8 players, maybe “several”, per sources that don’t agree with each other
What: sources don’t know, violation of team rules, maybe practice suspension, maybe bowl ban, really don’t know any details.
When: not sure
Where: state of MN, maybe
Why: unsure, sources don’t know

Besides all that bloodhound work, the Tribune saw an opportunity to bring up the Gopher 10 episode from 2016 for those that have been living under a rock. Unnecessary and irrelevant for the story but added as “flavor” and to paint a picture of the culture.

Circulation of the paper strib is about 300,000 on weekdays and that doesn't count online readers.

99% of the people they circulate to throw the paper right into the trash can and use the bags to pick up dog poop.
Which is kinda ironic cause it comes with dog-poop inside in the first place.

I wish Gopherhole would just put a blanket ban on their articles so they stop getting so many clicks from this forum.

Absolute garbage publication.

"There has been a minor disciplinary issue at the U, better run it front and center"

Last edited:

A way to get out in front of a story like this would just to simply have a release that says x number of players will not be practicing and playing for the bowl game because they broke team rules. Would you even have to elaborate on the players names? I don’t think so.

Or they could start pulling press credentials in response to absurd reporting. It’s apparently a non-felonious private matter, if and when starters don’t show up on the field fair to ask why. It could be as simple as some of the outgoing Claeys guys bought Coyle a “Speak to Win” book for Christmas.

Or they could start pulling press credentials in response to absurd reporting. It’s apparently a non-felonious private matter, if and when starters don’t show up on the field fair to ask why. It could be as simple as some of the outgoing Claeys guys bought Coyle a “Speak to Win” book for Christmas.

True. I think there is a gadfly on or near the team that loves providing juicy information to guys like Doogie.

How dare they report something that is happening and folks clearly want to read.

Nope, it's not that.

It's profiteering/scamming people with a sensational headline that gets top-billing, without there being any substance.

Remember when papers were in those things where you put a couple quarters in and the door would unlock so you could grab one, but you could see the top-billing through the window? It would be like if you could see "PJ Fleck fired!" and nothing else, so you buy the paper, and the next line (that you couldn't see) is "was the wishful thinking of Badgers coach".

99% of the people you circulate to throw your paper right into the trash can and use the bags to pick up dog ****.
Which is kinda ironic cause it comes with dog-**** inside in the first place.

The print edition of The Strib is far from free. Those that pay for it tend to read it, or at least parts of it. I doubt anyone is paying for it and throwing it "right into the trash can."

I won't defend the quality of it or any other mainstream media organ. But anyone who thinks publications like this don't have an impact (even in today's diminished state) is delusional.

This particular story and the way it's been handled is a perfect example of how much newspapers have squandered their respectability after 30-40 years of media consolidation. Back then, this story wouldn't have seen the light of day UNLESS charges were either filed or confirmed as imminent. Suspension for team rules, with no details? Maybe 2-3 paragraphs as part of a "notebook" story somewhere on an inside page.

Heard about a great cartoon today. In the first panel, a guy is holding a sign that says, "First they came for the reporters." Second panel, the sign says, "We don't know what happened next." That pretty much sums it up.

JTG

Or they could start pulling press credentials in response to absurd reporting.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

Gophers need good coverage when thinks actually do go well, just as much as the Strib needs the U to have something to write about that will get people to actually pay attention for a moment.

Regardless of how the story got out, it's out now.

The ball is in the hands of Fleck and Coyle. If it is a relatively minor matter, then release some information and keep the speculation from getting out of hand. And, if it is not a minor matter, then at least clarify the number of players involved and their current status. (practicing-not practicing; will play in bowl;won't play in bowl).

The lack of information may make it look worse than it really is. Again, Fleck and/or Coyle need to respond in some fashion. of several bad options, remaining silent may be the worst option at this point.

Top Bottom