Several U Football Players Face Discipline

There are smart ways of disagreeing with you boss and dumb ways.

The smart ways grow your relationship with a boss. The dumb ways get your fired.

You thought that Kaler and Coyle were gonna keep Claeys regardless of what he said or did? Cute.

That would make you wrong and a party of one.

Gophers football players disciplined, face possible bowl game suspension - Strib

At least six Gophers football players have been disciplined and are not being allowed to practice this month in preparation for the Quick Lane Bowl for violating team rules, multiple sources told the Star Tribune. The players face suspension and could miss the Dec. 26 bowl game against Georgia Tech in Detroit.

Head coach P.J. Fleck and athletic director Mark Coyle did not return messages seeking comment Tuesday.

The alleged team rule violations reported from the sources do not involve assault or violence. Sources cited reasons for the disciplinary action, and the names of some players involved, but since those details have not been confirmed, the Star Tribune is not publishing that information. The number of players disciplined is said to be between six and eight, several sources said.

The Gophers (6-6) qualified for the Quick Lane Bowl by reaching six wins in Fleck's second year as coach with a 37-15 victory over Wisconsin on Nov. 24. The team rule violations came following that game, Minnesota's first win over Wisconsin since 2003...

http://www.startribune.com/several-...face-possible-bowl-game-suspension/502505901/

I have never once commented on Claeys’ weight. EDIT: I may have joked about his weight long after it was occurring to get people like you riled up, can’t remember but it sounds like something I would do.

I have commented on how he was completely in over his head as evidenced by his total inability to handle anything correctly from a PR standpoint following the incident reports. That’s old news.

Also on record two years ago saying the administration handled it poorly.

Regardless of what admin does, if Fleck turns this into a major national news story that reflects poorly on the university and then publicly embarrasses his AD.
I maintain that he will be fired. Do you disagree?

It would have to be an extremely serious situation to get fired. I really cannot even imagine it. The circumstances are totally different, with PJ having an AD who hired him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are smart ways of disagreeing with you boss and dumb ways.

The smart ways grow your relationship with a boss. The dumb ways get your fired.
Not when you already know you are going to get fired regardless of what you do. It would be a pointless endeavor.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

You thought that Kaler and Coyle were gonna keep Claeys regardless of what he said or did? Cute.

Exactly

Not when you already know you are going to get fired regardless of what you do. It would be a pointless endeavor.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

If he did that because he knew he was going to get fired, not only is he horrible at PR...he also has no pride.

I don’t think they had made a decision one way or the other when the news came out about the incident. If Claeys has a shot of keeping his job, he destroyed it with a giant nuclear explosion that was his entire handling of the situation. Not only that. I think the way he handled it has caused him not not get interviews at places where he might have otherwise. I may be wrong. He may have gotten interviews I don’t know about.

I have no idea what they would’ve done if he played the situation well and neither do you.
I thought there was no chance they kept him when he got us on Outside the Lines. It was over at that point.

If he did that because he knew he was going to get fired, not only is he horrible at PR...he also has no pride.

I don’t think they had made a decision one way or the other when the news came out about the incident. If Claeys has a shot of keeping his job, he destroyed it with a giant nuclear explosion that was his entire handling of the situation. Not only that. I think the way he handled it has caused him not not get interviews at places where he might have otherwise. I may be wrong. He may have gotten interviews I don’t know about.

You wanted Claeys to say that he agree with suspending all 10 accused players, even the ones that weren't involved because that would have meant he had "pride"?

No, it would have meant he had no integrity and would have lost the support of the team. Which was probably what Coyle wanted. Hoping that Claeys would quit and they could save some money. The team knew that all the accused weren't involved. Which is what the Regents who met with them confirmed.

You should just stop now.

Last edited:

You may be exactly right, but regardless I think he is very happy at Wash St. And I don’t think Leach worries one iota how the hire might “look”.

Holy overreaction Batman! Whatever happened, they violated team rules. No violence. No assault. Based on the little information out there, it appears to be not so big of a deal. Suspended for practice.

Reusse ripping culture and Academic All Americans in 3...2...

At this point, I trust PJ will take care of it and he'll work with Mark Coyle to make sure everyone agrees regarding next actions.
If PJ and Coyle end up in a disagreement (or the President (Kaler)), then I'll start to get worried.

Almost sounds like an illegal substance issue.

It's disappointing, but we don't know details yet.

I really wish this board could put Claeys firing to rest. I like Claeys, I wish him the best. I Understand some here hate PJ and feel we were better off with Claeys, but reality pj is our coach. Dwelling over past is exhausting

Then P.J. will handle it the same way he did with Demry Croft.

Bench him indefinitely when someone else is playing well at his position since no one is above the rules, but then decide he has had enough punishment as soon as his replacement starts struggling?

Rest assured everyone, Coyle is a veteran athletic director adept at managing these situations. I'm sure right now he is developing a plan to shoot himself in the foot so as to inflict as much damage as possible. Someone please help him find his Athletically, Spiritually, Socially, and Academically note card speech, STAT!

Underage drinking after a monster win and end of season. BFD. Let's get ready for Ramblin' Wreck!

Holy overreaction Batman! Whatever happened, they violated team rules. No violence. No assault. Based on the little information out there, it appears to be not so big of a deal. Suspended for practice.

Reusse ripping culture and Academic All Americans in 3...2...

It's going to end up way worse than suspended for practice. At least two players will be dismissed.

has a college football team ever started 22 freshmen in a single game before?

On a more serious note - depending on who is involved, and at what positions, this could put the coaching staff in a situation where they are forced to pull some red-shirts for kids who have already played 4 games. Or, bite the bullet and save the red-shirts, while putting the team in a position that lowers their chances of winning.

The who, what and why of the suspensions will come out in time. I guess I'm more interested in how the team and coaches respond, and what the team looks like when they have to play a game in two weeks.

they’re all gone. Like poster said the kids who are skipping the bowl gettin our before the storm. Nice knowin ya pj.

Pay sites are saying it’s not a big deal. Let’s move along to Coyle’s inability to do anything related to public relations, ever.

Rest assured everyone, Coyle is a veteran athletic director adept at managing these situations. I'm sure right now he is developing a plan to shoot himself in the foot so as to inflict as much damage as possible. Someone please help him find his Athletically, Spiritually, Socially, and Academically note card speech, STAT!

I'm excited for Coyle to give the press conference that ends with more confusion than before the conference started. That man should never be allowed in front of a microphone.

I think most of you who are posting are on something. Is GH your outlet for being stupid.

Top Bottom