Several U Football Players Face Discipline

Sooooo, if I'm understanding this correctly, if Fleck and the Athletic Dept would have had a presser several days earlier and Fleck gave the same exact answers he gave at Wednesday's event, everything would have been okay?

I’ll up that. If the U would have put out a press release, or maybe just not ignored the media when first asked for comment on the story, long ago, it would have been OK.... as in a non-story, forgotten about, not brought up over a week later during signing day, etc.

I get it. We all like the Gophers. We want it to be nothing. We want to say “good job PJ - don’t give in”, etc., etc. Take that Strib for all your bad press over the years. Go Gophers! The truth is, however, the U’s handling of this made it a bigger story than it ever needed to be. Bad job Mark. Again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll up that. If the U would have put out a press release, or maybe just not ignored the media when first asked for comment on the story, long ago, it would have been OK.... as in a non-story, forgotten about, not brought up over a week later during signing day, etc.

I get it. We all like the Gophers. We want it to be nothing. We want to say “good job PJ - don’t give in”, etc., etc. Take that Strib for all your bad press over the years. Go Gophers! The truth is, however, the U’s handling of this made it a bigger story than it ever needed to be. Bad job Mark. Again.

Disagree. There is very little drama about this outside a few gopher message board gopher fanatics and a little on sports radio that covers it only because Gopher fans were pissed.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Have to think it was PJ's decision to address the issue or not address it, not Coyle's.

I think I follow you, although I'm not sure I agree. Not sure what the press release would have said? If it would have made some folks feel better for them to have a presser a few days earlier and for the folks at the mic to say absolutely nothing, that seems a little silly but I'm okay with that.

My overall issue is the general premise that people feel like they are entitled to something, be it information or whatever. I'm sure we'll all find out what happened at some point; does it really matter if we knew earlier this week on Monday or if we find out tomorrow? I loved how Fleck responded, and I would have thought the same if it were TC, Kill, Brewster, or Mason. The sports press, particularly those in MSP it seems, are idiotic morons, largely; there have been some exceptions. Fuller is good, LEN III is good, a few others have been good, Myron was the biggest f'ng idiot I've ever seen employed anywhere, it's sad that MSP can't do better for sports coverage.

The reporter was an idiot (no surprise, working for the Strib). Ask the question once, you don't get the answer, move on; anything after that is an attempt to make a spectacle out of yourself and insert yourself into the situation.

You seem to be speaking for “most people” and “a few in the media” here. Maybe most don’t agree with your take? I, for one, think the U handled it very poorly and the evasive non-answers Wednesday made the situation worse. You may think PJ and MC did this just right and gave the media all they deserved. I would disagree. I don’t have a clue what “most people” think.

Most people on social media, in my opinion, weren't happy with her continuing to ask the same questions over and over. I disagree with dpodoll68's take that most people were upset that the questions were even asked. She wasn't the only person to ask questions about it. The anger seems to be directed at the one person who continued to ask the same questions over and over.

Also, I've never said the U handled this the right way. I think they could have done a better job but also think people like Rochelle Olson would have still tried to create controversy. That's my point.

Lastly, I'm personally not upset with any of it. It wasn't handled great by the U or a few of the media members.

Last edited:

How do we know that? When it was obvious Fleck wasn't going to say anything more about it, she continued to ask questions trying to get more out of him. Say they put out a press release a week ago saying what Fleck said on Wednesday. Maybe she would have still showed up Wednesday to ask him more questions.

How do we know that? When it was obvious Fleck wasn't going to say anything more about it, she continued to ask questions trying to get more out of him. Say they put out a press release a week ago saying what Fleck said on Wednesday. Maybe she would have still showed up Wednesday to ask him more questions.
Exactly

Maybe. You could be right. However, by handling it the way they did the U practically guaranteed it would happen.

Good Lord, 39 pages for this non issue that few give a ratsass about. Please stop.

Exactly

Personally after watching the presser, I thought she was out of her element. She appeared to want the spotlight, didn’t get it, so she made an a?? of herself. To bad, so sad.

She should know when to keep her mouth shut. There’s no need for women to report on football as they don’t understand it. She should be supporting her husband and making babies.

Wasn't Spoofin the one who left in a fit and promised to never come back? Apparently my memory is wrong, based on this thread alone.

Wasn't Spoofin the one who left in a fit and promised to never come back? Apparently my memory is wrong, based on this thread alone.

I read it was in a self-pity fit because he was so frustrated.

The U handled this matter as well as it could be handled given the interest the media always has about what happens at the U. Anyone who thinks Kaler and the General Counsel wasn't involved the U's response has no idea how large organizations work. If Fleck and Coyle had handled this on their own and released too much information about who was involved and what happened they would have opened the U up for a huge amount of criticism from the the player's families who would have hired attorneys and considered bringing lawsuits. And the media would have lapped it all up.

The U's strategy was to present a public face that anything that happened was not a serious matter but only a team disciplinary issue that would be handled internally. They wanted to set a firm precedent that violations of team rules are routine matters and they are not going disclose any information about them no matter how relentless the media is in chasing down rumors. A press conference and press release with Fleck flying in from his recruiting trip would have sent a message that what happened was more serious than they wanted to convey. The U's strategy worked and the matter has already blown over except in GopherHole. I call that a success. Lets all move on and wait for the next crisis at the U which will surely happen sooner than we want.

Last edited:

So who are the players suspended? I tried finding names just couldn’t while going trough about the 13 last pages of this thread..

So who are the players suspended? I tried finding names just couldn’t while going trough about the 13 last pages of this thread..

The number is at least 1 and far fewer than 6 - 8. We might be able to figure out the name or names once we determine who is not at the bowl game and not playing once we factor in all the possible non-disciplinary reasons why a player might not be at the bowl game and/or not playing. We probably can come up with a good list of GopherHolers who will be able to come up with the name or names by the end of the first quarter.

Last edited:

The number is at least 1 and far fewer than 6 - 8. We might be able to figure out the name or names once we determine who is not at the bowl game and not playing once we factor in all the possible non-disciplinary reasons why a player might not be at the bowl game and/or not playing. We probably can come up with a good list of GopherHolers who will be able to come up with the name or names by by the end of the first quarter. .

I think Fleck just said it was fewer than 6-8 that were suspended from the bowl, not practice. He never really answered how many had been held out of practice.

I would like to know who's held out just for betting reasons, injuries or disciple holdouts should be public knowledge.

I read it was in a self-pity fit because he was so frustrated.

Care to let us see that farewell or will it be too emotional for you again? :cry:

Last edited:

I think Fleck just said it was fewer than 6-8 that were suspended from the bowl, not practice. He never really answered how many had been held out of practice.

Since when is being held out of practice and not the game a punishment? That sounds more like a reward. Yet I keep hearing this angle...

Since when is being held out of practice and not the game a punishment? That sounds more like a reward. Yet I keep hearing this angle...

If PT in the Bowl game is the same, you are right. If playing in the bowl game is really “playing” in the bowl game then you aren’t.

Care to let us see that farewell or will it be too emotional for you again? :cry:

I left this board for a while due to the ridiculous comments that are posted. Spoofin kindly said he was taking a break but gave us the appearance that he would be back. Mulligan I think you need to grow up. Good grief.

I would like to know who's held out just for betting reasons, injuries or disciple holdouts should be public knowledge.

Nobody important. Nobody who played significant snaps. Well, one guy was kind of important, but he, in a move of pure coincidence, left the team hours before the story was published. No correlation whatsoever.

If PT in the Bowl game is the same, you are right. If playing in the bowl game is really “playing” in the bowl game then you aren’t.

An asterisk would suffice

This seems apropos
b7218bd3c610d74f450fcd7825892999.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

None of us are going to know until pregame warm-ups, who is and isn't dressed and who we know is and isn't hurt. The player(s) in question likely didn't even travel with the team. The reality is it was a violation of team rules, and Fleck has zero obligation to release how many and/or names before kickoff. He's not going to give GT time to game plan for guys who won't be there.

A team rule is a team rule, and Fleck doesn't have to say what happened. There was no legal issue, no arrest and no assault of any kind. Therefore, it stays in-house, as it should. I've heard from a reliable source that the Strib will be incredibly disappointed if they ever find out what the violation was for all the work they did digging into the story, and for having Rochelle Olson embarrass herself for beating a dead horse about the issue at the Signing Day news conference.

That said, the football communications staff should have released a statement saying "X" number of players won't be in the bowl game due to a violation of team rules so we would've avoided the Signing Day debacle. But in their mind, the violation didn't merit making a public statement.

Just for argument: let's say player X does not start or appear in the bowl game. The media and fans will begin speculating whether player X is one of the suspended players.

BUT, player X may be sitting out the game due to injury. Or it may be a coaches' decision because player X looked like horsebleep in practice. If nothing else, the Gophers should make it clear whether a player is missing the game due to injury or suspension - out of fairness to the players - so that players who did not break any rules are not unfairly identified as having violated team rules.

Top Bottom