Cashman skipping Bowl Game

Except that it’s not. It’s a game that will be part of the 2018 season for as long as records are kept. All stats will apply for 2018. PJ will forever have either a winning or losing record in 2018 decided by the outcome of this game.

Would these kids accept an invitation to the senior bowl if they received it? If so, why? Couldn’t they get hurt?

They also get invaluable exposure to the NFL coaches during the week preceding the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess that's why they call him Cash man. Gotta keep the eye on the NFL prize ;)

Seriously though, it sucks for fans but if I were him I would look hard at doing it too. I wouldn't really want to be at that game either instead of home for Xmas. It is kinda ironic that guys were pushing against Wisky to get him another game, which he is peaceing out on.

For those who think bowls are headed downhill on this trend - they are. They may start to become more of the "first game of the next season" than the last game of the current one, given that some seniors won't be there and it's next man up.

Guess that's why they call him Cash man. Gotta keep the eye on the NFL prize ;)

Seriously though, it sucks for fans but if I were him I would look hard at doing it too. I wouldn't really want to be at that game either instead of home for Xmas. It is kinda ironic that guys were pushing against Wisky to get him another game, which he is peaceing out on.

For those who think bowls are headed downhill on this trend - they are. They may start to become more of the "first game of the next season" than the last game of the current one, given that some seniors won't be there and it's next man up.

He isnt peacing out, he got peaced out.

Crack is wack

Is Cashman a first round prospect? [emoji848][emoji57][emoji849][emoji16][emoji23][emoji1787]

There are some people saying this could be the start to the end of Bowl Games.

Essentially, players aren't going to play in meaningless games anymore.
So what's the best solution???

Expand the playoffs!!!!!

I agree with you. The real irony is that every fan and media member can make a joke about going to a meaningless bowl game, but as soon as a player doesn't want to play in a meaningless bowl game it is a travesty.

A player like Cashman has nothing to gain by playing in the game. His game is on tape and the scouts know what he can and can't do. Now all he has to do is have a great pro day and/or combine if he gets invited. Everyone knows the Adam Thielen story but the truth is if he runs a 4.6 instead of a 4.45 the Adam Thielen story ends in Chicago at a regional combine. For the fringe prospects running a great 40 and testing well is what can separate them from other prospects.

I would like to see the NCAA twist the model that the bowl games that playing in the game doesn't count against the redshirt rule.

Last edited:

If it becomes commonplace for players to skip non-New year 6 bowl games (and if the Gophers have two players doing it, perhaps it is already commonplace), what is the point of the bowls if they just become early spring games and are devalued by players, coaches, fans, etc.? I for one would be a bit extra-upset today if I had purchased tickets and travel to see a bowl game that my favorite defensive player has decided to skip.

If that is the case, it is time to not only expand the playoffs, but expand them to at least 16 or even 32 teams and play the first round(s) at higher seeds in late November or early December, then make the meaningful bowls the quarter and semi finals.

The bowls and bowl money have always been the counter argument to expanded playoffs. If most of the bowls become obsolete, expand the playoffs and finally do it right.
+1

Except that it’s not. It’s a game that will be part of the 2018 season for as long as records are kept. All stats will apply for 2018. PJ will forever have either a winning or losing record in 2018 decided by the outcome of this game.

The coaches can look at it that way though in some regards. With Greene gone, who's going to play LT next year? This gives the coaches the opportunity to try a few guys out. Maybe Andries gets some reps over there. Or maybe Schlueter gets another shot.

I would have loved to see Cashman and Greene play one more game for the Gophers but I understand their position. I don't think it's a big deal.

If it becomes commonplace for players to skip non-New year 6 bowl games (and if the Gophers have two players doing it, perhaps it is already commonplace), what is the point of the bowls if they just become early spring games and are devalued by players, coaches, fans, etc.? I for one would be a bit extra-upset today if I had purchased tickets and travel to see a bowl game that my favorite defensive player has decided to skip.

If that is the case, it is time to not only expand the playoffs, but expand them to at least 16 or even 32 teams and play the first round(s) at higher seeds in late November or early December, then make the meaningful bowls the quarter and semi finals.

The bowls and bowl money have always been the counter argument to expanded playoffs. If most of the bowls become obsolete, expand the playoffs and finally do it right.

I have some sympathy for turning FBS into the same thing as the playoffs for FCS, DII, and DIII.

But at the end of the day, I can't get on board. FBS is unique, and I think it is a good type of unique, all around. It lets a lot of teams end their season on a win. A playoff everyone ends on a loss except the champs. Secondly, all these bowl teams get extra practices to help develop younger players. Like a second spring ball. That's how you keep getting better. Plus the players get swag and get to do a lot of fun activities, and help in the community too. It's a very unique thing, and for the players (who do choose to stay and participate), I hope it keeps going.

Curious to see where he gets drafted/if he gets drafted

I think he is too slow to play NFL linebacker and too small to play outside backer in an NfL 3/4.

He could maybe fit in in the right system. I hope he makes a roster.

I think he is too slow to play NFL linebacker and too small to play outside backer in an NfL 3/4.

I think he could be a very good special teams player so that should give him a chance. Maybe could find a place as a 3rd down LB.

I always thought he was one of the quicker linebackers we have had in a while.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Go watch Illinois and Maryland game again

Yeah, while I certainly haven't timed Cashman in anything, I think he's getting a decent dose of White Walk On Bias in the analysis from folks on here. It's like when I discovered that Grayson Allen may actually have a higher vert (41") than Zion Williamson...but everyone thought Allen was a plodder destined to sit the end of an NBA bench before playing in China or something.

For a LB quick decision making matters more than speed anyway. A guy running a 4.9 only needs to make a read a tiny fraction of a second faster to beat a guy running a 4.5 to the ball over a distance of a few yards.

You’re out of your gourd. He’s plenty quick enough. The NFL is specialized enough for role players it’s impossible to say whether or not someone will like him enough to give him a chance. Ultimately the scouts and coaches will make a decision on him not the folks on here.

You’re out of your gourd. He’s plenty quick enough. The NFL is specialized enough for role players it’s impossible to say whether or not someone will like him enough to give him a chance. Ultimately the scouts and coaches will make a decision on him not the folks on here.

Don't disagree. Any defensive player caught in space (Maryland/Illinois) can be made to look foolish. It would help him a lot to be invited to the combine.

Yeah, while I certainly haven't timed Cashman in anything, I think he's getting a decent dose of White Walk On Bias in the analysis from folks on here. It's like when I discovered that Grayson Allen may actually have a higher vert (41") than Zion Williamson...but everyone thought Allen was a plodder destined to sit the end of an NBA bench before playing in China or something.

For a LB quick decision making matters more than speed anyway. A guy running a 4.9 only needs to make a read a tiny fraction of a second faster to beat a guy running a 4.5 to the ball over a distance of a few yards.

Cashman is white? I missed that.

Don't disagree. Any defensive player caught in space (Maryland/Illinois) can be made to look foolish. It would help him a lot to be invited to the combine.

Agree.

The NfL is increasingly needing linebackers who can play in space.
Cashman’s best games are games when he was a pash rusher or games when he is playing against run heavy teams. Not sure he is big enough to play either of those two roles in the NfL. Not sure he is fast enough to play the other roles. We will see.

Leighton Vander Esch (Cowboys, Boise St.) was the 3rd LB drafted last year. He ran a 4.67 40 at the combine. I bet Cashman can match or beat that. The top 2 drafted were in the 4.5s.

Chad Greenway ran a 4.8 too, but he was really good at reading plays.

I think Cashman will be fast enough, the question will be some of the other measurables.

Last edited:

Go watch Illinois and Maryland game again

Wild hypothesis: Robb Smith loaded up his linebacker's plates wayyyyyyy too much. It caused them to play slow, because they had to think about 50 things on every play.

Keep it simple, play fast.

It’s selfish of any player who does not play, pure and simple.

Technically, yes, it's selfish to look out for your best interests. But in the end, how do you begrudge him because of it? If he gets hurt in the game and misses the combine, will the U pay him what he'd make if he was drafted? Will his teammates help him find a job that pays as much?

At some point, you have to make the best decision based on your situation. Maybe you've never left a job of your own will, but those of us who have could have put that off eternally because we were on some project that wasn't complete. There is no difference.

Yes, I'd rather watch a QuickLane Bowl with Cashman than without. But if I was in his shoes I would potentially do the same thing.

Technically, yes, it's selfish to look out for your best interests. But in the end, how do you begrudge him because of it? If he gets hurt in the game and misses the combine, will the U pay him what he'd make if he was drafted? Will his teammates help him find a job that pays as much?

At some point, you have to make the best decision based on your situation. Maybe you've never left a job of your own will, but those of us who have could have put that off eternally because we were on some project that wasn't complete. There is no difference.

Yes, I'd rather watch a QuickLane Bowl with Cashman than without. But if I was in his shoes I would potentially do the same thing.

Well put.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wild hypothesis: Robb Smith loaded up his linebacker's plates wayyyyyyy too much. It caused them to play slow, because they had to think about 50 things on every play.

Keep it simple, play fast.
Play fast yes.
Also play to your strengths.

There is a reason Cashman was a pass rusher against Purdue.

Top Bottom