Cashman skipping Bowl Game

Cashman skipping Bowl Game

Honestly I hope this trend continues. If enough players start dropping out, eventually the NCAA will be forced to change something. Namely trying to pretend that bowl games are still some type of reward for an "outstanding" season, when everyone knows it's nothing but a way to make a few extra bucks.

I wonder if he would skip the game had we gotten a much better bowl game.

I wonder if he would skip the game had we gotten a much better bowl game.

Do we know yet if he was one of the ones in trouble? Could be a specific reason he's skipping the bowl game.

Do we know yet if he was one of the ones in trouble? Could be a specific reason he's skipping the bowl game.

You know how sometimes a baseball team has a bad year, and ownership tells a guy who's been a manager for some time that they're willing to give him a chance to resign before they fire him?

Chad Greenway ran a 4.8 too, but he was really good at reading plays.

This is the key. You don't have to be crazy fast, if you're not playing from a step-behind the play every time. If you can stay a step-ahead of where the offense is going, well, 4.4 to a 4.8 is really only maybe one step difference that short of space/time.

This is the key. You don't have to be crazy fast, if you're not playing from a step-behind the play every time. If you can stay a step-ahead of where the offense is going, well, 4.4 to a 4.8 is really only maybe one step difference that short of space/time.

Also, shuttle run is probably a better measure of the kind of quickness a linebacker needs, but I'm too lazy to put together an analysis of that right now.

Honestly I hope this trend continues. If enough players start dropping out, eventually the NCAA will be forced to change something. Namely trying to pretend that bowl games are still some type of reward for an "outstanding" season, when everyone knows it's nothing but a way to make a few extra bucks.

I don't think the NCAA cares one bit how people perceive bowl games. The bowl system is watered down to a point that you just have to be OK in order to qualify, most aren't delusional enough to think that just making a bowl is some massive achievement. About the only thing the NCAA could change would be to consider the bowl game as the first game of the next season in terms of eligibility but that isn't as needed anymore due to the new redshirt rule. Guys electing not to play in bowl games is unlikely to move the needle at all from an NCAA standpoint.

Bowl system operates entirely outside of the NCAA. The playoff too. There’s not a single thing the NCAA can do about it. Nor would they attempt to.

Technically, yes, it's selfish to look out for your best interests. But in the end, how do you begrudge him because of it? If he gets hurt in the game and misses the combine, will the U pay him what he'd make if he was drafted? Will his teammates help him find a job that pays as much?

At some point, you have to make the best decision based on your situation. Maybe you've never left a job of your own will, but those of us who have could have put that off eternally because we were on some project that wasn't complete. There is no difference.

Yes, I'd rather watch a QuickLane Bowl with Cashman than without. But if I was in his shoes I would potentially do the same thing.

Absolutely all true, but let's face it, where are we at as a sport or a university if we all act solely in our best interest? We don't begrudge Cashman if he doesn't want to play in the bowl game. We don't begrudge PJ if he bolts at a better job(hypothetically)? We don't begrudge season ticket holders for dropping their tickets to save money by buying a few pizzas to get the same tickets.

We have all done what is best for us. Fine, but let's not pretend the game won't slowly trickle away and we all be a little at fault.

Cashman and green put their health and body on the line for the benefit of the team.

I don't see any problem with them sitting out and preparing for a shot at a life long dream. From what I hear, what they are preparing for is the combine evaluations. That means extra time practicing and coaching in a specific manner to improve their combine ratings. What if they are not invited? What then? They must have heard from credible people that NFL folks are very interested.

As mentioned, what if they got hurt and missed their chance? Is it really worth risking it all for one game? OTOH, they could just as easily get hurt preparing for the draft.

If they end up getting drafted or making it in the NFL as a UDFA, it is good for them and for Gopher Football Recruiting.

I like the players that don’t quit on their teammates. Cashman the quitter.

Let’s be honest - all of college football is about making money.

I’m as cynical as anyone and while the bolded is definitely partially true I think it’s a bit harsh. Athletes are competitors. If any of us didn’t look forward to a competition it’s time to hang it up. I’d bet most of the guys are stoked to play in a bowl game. Most fans view the games as part of the season and not exhibitions. Anyone that feels that way isn’t really a college football fan IMO. Every game matters for a variety of things. In Cashman’s case it’s a business decision on his part. Fair to criticize him but also understandable.

Last edited:

Absolutely all true, but let's face it, where are we at as a sport or a university if we all act solely in our best interest? We don't begrudge Cashman if he doesn't want to play in the bowl game. We don't begrudge PJ if he bolts at a better job(hypothetically)? We don't begrudge season ticket holders for dropping their tickets to save money by buying a few pizzas to get the same tickets.

We have all done what is best for us. Fine, but let's not pretend the game won't slowly trickle away and we all be a little at fault.

Seems like people begrudge all those things :D

Like most things there is a pendulum. Before it was high draft picks sitting out, now it’s more fringe guys in some cases. If enough of them go undrafted and draw the scorn of fans and teammates perhaps the pendulum will start swinging back. Everyone responds to incentives or disincentives.

I’m as cynical as anyone and while the bolded is definitely partially true I think it’s a bit harsh. Athletes are competitors. If any of us didn’t look forward to a competition it’s time to hang it up. I’d bet most of the guys are stoked to play in a bowl game. Most fans view the games as part of the season and not exhibitions. Anyone that feels that way isn’t really a college football fan IMO. Every game matters for a variety of things. In Cashman’s case it’s a business decision on his part. Fair to criticize him but also understandable.

I about puked when I heard the football announcers at the Fresco State/Ariz. State mention that the wide out from AS, who pulled “a Cashman” was allowed to be on the sideline. Why?? He quit his teammates. Get up in the stands with the other students.

I about puked when I heard the football announcers at the Fresco State/Ariz. State mention that the wide out from AS, who pulled “a Cashman” was allowed to be on the sideline. Why?? He quit his teammates. Get up in the stands with the other students.

Yeah I bet recruits would love to see players trashed like that.

Glad you are not the coach!!

Greenway weighed 242 lbs at the combine. I am guessing Cashman is closer to 230lbs. I bet Cashman can get under 4.8 in the 40.

Anybody know if any GA Tech guys are skipping the bowl game?

Can we infer Cashman was not a big F.A.M.I.L.Y believer? He certainly didn't forget about himself on this one...

More like F.A.Y.I.L.M (but I'm fine with that)

The only person looking out for you is yourself

This is a bad look. Only because the team essentially got him one more game to ideally bump his draft stock. Not sure why you'd wanna finish your college career on a targeting penalty.

He's barely an NFL prospect. Might get some looks as an UDFA. Makes no sense for him to skip this one.

This is a bad look. Only because the team essentially got him one more game to ideally bump his draft stock. Not sure why you'd wanna finish your college career on a targeting penalty.

I am pretty sure the team's sole focus was beating Wisconsin and winning the axe. Getting Cashman one more game potentially is icing on the cake.

How does Cashman benefit from playing in this game?

He's barely an NFL prospect. Might get some looks as an UDFA. Makes no sense for him to skip this one.

Makes no sense for him to play because he is barely an NFL prospect. There is nothing he can show on film that will boost his stock that he hasn't already shown. Instead, he can maximize an extra month of training. Each tenth off his 40 and extra rep of a bench press gets him that closer to being a professional football player. I highly doubt he made this decision on his own. I am sure he weighed advice given to him from scouts, his coaches, and family.

Top Bottom