Cashman skipping Bowl Game

There are some people saying this could be the start to the end of Bowl Games.

Essentially, players aren't going to play in meaningless games anymore.
So what's the best solution???

Expand the playoffs!!!!!

It isn't a meaningless game, it is a game that counts towards our record, same as any other game. At a minimum, it is as important as our other nonconference games.

If it becomes commonplace for players to skip non-New year 6 bowl games (and if the Gophers have two players doing it, perhaps it is already commonplace), what is the point of the bowls if they just become early spring games and are devalued by players, coaches, fans, etc.? I for one would be a bit extra-upset today if I had purchased tickets and travel to see a bowl game that my favorite defensive player has decided to skip.

If that is the case, it is time to not only expand the playoffs, but expand them to at least 16 or even 32 teams and play the first round(s) at higher seeds in late November or early December, then make the meaningful bowls the quarter and semi finals.

The bowls and bowl money have always been the counter argument to expanded playoffs. If most of the bowls become obsolete, expand the playoffs and finally do it right.

If it becomes commonplace for players to skip non-New year 6 bowl games (and if the Gophers have two players doing it, perhaps it is already commonplace), what is the point of the bowls if they just become early spring games and are devalued by players, coaches, fans, etc.? I for one would be a bit extra-upset today if I had purchased tickets and travel to see a bowl game that my favorite defensive player has decided to skip.

If that is the case, it is time to not only expand the playoffs, but expand them to at least 16 or even 32 teams and play the first round(s) at higher seeds in late November or early December, then make the meaningful bowls the quarter and semi finals.

The bowls and bowl money have always been the counter argument to expanded playoffs. If most of the bowls become obsolete, expand the playoffs and finally do it right.
Agree with this sentiment.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

The trend is an unfortunate one for the fans, certainly. And it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it has a dampening effect on bowl game attendance across the board. Many bowl game are thinly attended anyway, and it might be an even tougher sell to convince traveling fans how important a bowl game is when top players aren't even convinced of it.

But I would never begrudge a player from making the best personal decision.

Funny how the old method of voting on the champion after the bowls eliminated this for the most part, at least among teams in contention.

I tore my Achilles tendon in the 4th quarter of my last college football game. I was not pro level by any means. However, knowing it happens first hand I do not blame any player that can make a living at the next level from sitting this one out.

Doesn’t this just scream of Cashman being one of the players that violated team rules???

This is really disappointing. Maybe I imputed some virtue to Blake because I wanted him to possess it, but I really thought he was the kind of team-first guy who would play to the last whistle of the last game.

Doing what’s best for you off the field has no bearing on what kind of player you are on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cashman out, 6 being held out of practice due to team violations of some sort?

Maybe I am going to step down from the Quick Lane Bowl... My interest is fading by the minute.

Hope not and I will miss seeing him play. Hope he makes somebody's team.

It’s selfish of any player who does not play, pure and simple.

Excited to see Julian play another good game or maybe one of the freshmen.
Best of luck to Blake! He had a great senior season and some people (me included) that saw him as a role player were proven wrong. he was one of the best linebackers in the Big Ten this year.

Last edited:

Would these kids accept an invitation to the senior bowl if they received it? If so, why? Couldn’t they get hurt?

Hard to blame him or Donnell. Go make us proud in the NFL and get paid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck to both Cashman and Greene. I’d do the same thing.

Football is a rough sport, players get injured all the time, and hence miss games, sometimes big games like Bowl games. But with there being so many bowl games that any team with a 6-6 record is able to get in, and teams with 5-7 records have gotten in before, the term "big game" may be a stretch, so I can't blame a player on his way to the pros for skipping a non-New Year's Day bowl game and will look at it the way I would our team going into a bowl game with players injured, I'll still watch and will still believe my team can win.

And honestly, the Gopher's have had too few players playing in the NFL the past couple of decades, so I'd hate for one that has a chance to ruin that chance by trying to help us get to 7-6 instead of 6-7.

As for this trend being the beginning of the end for bowl games? I doubt that. Which teams will be most hurt by this? Teams with NFL ready and bound players. This may just make the bowls games more interesting, level the playing field a little? Teams that won as teams vs riding on the backs of a couple superstars will gain an advantage come bowl season, more often than not. That's not a bad thing, is it?

As for the playoff needing to expand? Of course it does. No reason an undefeated non-Power 5 team like UCF last season, shouldn't be given a chance, nor should the Pac 12 and B1G Conf Champs be left out, either. So at minimum, it should be expanded to 8 teams and games vs non-Div 1A teams shouldn't even be allowed and conference schedules should be expanded.

Excited to see Julian play another good game or maybe one of the freshmen.
Best of luck to Blake! He had a great senior season and some people (me included) that saw him as a role player were proven wrong. he was one of the best linebackers in the Big Ten this year.

Why would Julian play? I’m sure he has NFL aspirations.

Why do we play meaningless football games in October and November?

I’m sure he does, but a backup linebacker for a mediocre defense doesn’t often get many looks.

Lots of guys get overlooked. Huff should sit. So should Bateman and Faalele, we wouldn’t want them to get injured in a meaningless game.

There are some people saying this could be the start to the end of Bowl Games.

Essentially, players aren't going to play in meaningless games anymore.
So what's the best solution???

Expand the playoffs!!!!!

Good idea! I heard (or read) it here first.

Why do we play meaningless football games in October and November?

You forgot September. Indiana State, New Mexico State, Tennessee Tech, New Hampshire?

Those all sound WAY more meaningless than playing Georgia Tech.

Anyone think our bowl opponent's propensity for chop blocking factored into this decision? Nice way to **** up a knee.

I'm 100% with those who suggested expanded playoffs may provide a partial solution to this annoying trend.

But, things being what they are today ... can't blame a kid for taking a shot at the brass ring. One mid-round NFL contract can set a guy up for life.

JTG

According to article in Strib, Cashman said he's skipping game in part because of concerns over injury. He has had (I believe) three procedures on his shoulder, and played with a brace this year. He said he wants to get some medical tests done to see what kind of shape the shoulder is in, so he knows before the combine.

On the larger question of skipping bowl games, one could argue that a player who accepts a full-ride scholarship owes that school something - including playing in games when healthy. At some point, some lawyer is going to get this into court, to try and determine what exactly a scholarship means for both the player and the school - what is the school obligated to do for the player, and what the player is obligated to do for the school? I could see a school arguing that a healthy player who skips a bowl game should have to reimburse the school for some pro-rated portion of his scholarship. Not saying it's likely to happen. but there have been crazier court cases filed.

And, let's take it another step: if a player is going to sit out a bowl game, what is stopping a player from announcing that he will not play in non-conference games, or games against unrated opponents? the proverbial slippery slope is out there somewhere.

According to article in Strib, Cashman said he's skipping game in part because of concerns over injury. He has had (I believe) three procedures on his shoulder, and played with a brace this year. He said he wants to get some medical tests done to see what kind of shape the shoulder is in, so he knows before the combine.

On the larger question of skipping bowl games, one could argue that a player who accepts a full-ride scholarship owes that school something - including playing in games when healthy. At some point, some lawyer is going to get this into court, to try and determine what exactly a scholarship means for both the player and the school - what is the school obligated to do for the player, and what the player is obligated to do for the school? I could see a school arguing that a healthy player who skips a bowl game should have to reimburse the school for some pro-rated portion of his scholarship. Not saying it's likely to happen. but there have been crazier court cases filed.

And, let's take it another step: if a player is going to sit out a bowl game, what is stopping a player from announcing that he will not play in non-conference games, or games against unrated opponents? the proverbial slippery slope is out there somewhere.

With as many lawyers as there are out there, I'm surprised it hasn't already been attempted? My guess is so far schools would maybe have been more worried about bad impression it might give to recruits if they our school was going to sue them down the line for some reason?

NFL hopefuls skipping bowl games isn't anything new. Bowl games are the last games for seniors that won't be making it to Sunday's, and a chance for younger players to get another 15 days of practice, more game experience, and a fun time getting hosted by the city holding the game. Bowl game's are not a chance for an NFL prospect to make a bigger name for themselves, that's done at the combine; and if you think you've got an NFL shot and don't get selected for the combine, your last-chance shot is to showcase at one of the Senior bowls. If I thought I had any chance for playing Sunday's, I'd skip the bowl game and focus on prep for the combines. It's a one-time shot, and it's a long shot, so do what ever you can to make the most of the chance.

Top Bottom