Under the offensive basket inbounds plays

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
This thread is long overdue. Been a pet peeve of mine for multiple seasons. The Gophers bread and butter inbounds play is a 60 ft pass to their own backcourt. On Saturday vs. Arkansas St, Coffey was standing in the backcourt before they even handed the ball to the playing passing the ball in.

I understand you're not going to get layups every time or a wide open look. But try something. Screen across. Run an elevator screen for Gabe. Toss an alley-ooo to Omersa. Something. I don't care. You get 5 seconds to pass the ball in. The 50ft over head pass to the other side of half court is going to be open after 2-3 seconds. I'm positive because every other team has it figured out.

I do remember 1 time this year we got a layup on an inbounds play. Possibly against Utah. I remember because its 1 time in 5+ years.

I'm OK with them doing the 60 ft in-bounds pass every time if they would use whatever practice time they would typically spend on in-bound passing to work more on free throws!

I'm OK with them doing the 60 ft in-bounds pass every time if they would use whatever practice time they would typically spend on in-bound passing to work more on free throws!

BOOM!

I don't recall the last time when we got a basket off an inbounds play. This goes all the way back to Tubby days. In Tubby's time, we'd call timeout with 15 seconds on the clock and IF we got the ball in against any defensive pressure, we'd wind up dribbling for 12 seconds then jack up a prayer. I'm assuming the coaches draw up plays, but it sure seems like our execution has been very poor. Just like the scrambles at the end of a game with time running out. Your players should know who to get the ball to for the last shot and how to get them a good look. All too often it's one guy dribbling the length of the floor and shooting, which is pretty easy to defend.

I remember them being pretty good at this in Pitino's first years. I think it was Coach McHale.

Up and Under- if the Gophers run a successful inbound play tonight, but Stull starts, will you consider renewing your season tickets?? :)

Up and Under- if the Gophers run a successful inbound play tonight, but Stull starts, will you consider renewing your season tickets?? :)

Hahahaha. I actually laughed at this.

It is pretty hard to get cheap buckets in division 1 basketball. But I agree with the fristration that we never do

It is pretty hard to get cheap buckets in division 1 basketball. But I agree with the fristration that we never do

To be clear, I don’t expect buckets. But maybe a pass to a wing who is at least in a spot to possibly score. You don’t see a ton of guys pulling up from half court since Kingsbury graduated from Iowa

I'm going to go with we are saving the scoring inbounds plays for conference games. They are fairly easy to scout at this level and you can't have a 100 different ones.

The ones I hate are the entry to a back peddling big near the elbow that goes the other way for a dunk. Hate that entry. The result is the same as throwing it in the back court but it is overwhelmingly more dangerous tossing it to the elbow going away from the ball.

Inbound plays have been a problem for years with this team. I yelled at the TV many times in the Tubby era because we f'd up a simple inbounds pass AFTER a time out.

This thread is long overdue. Been a pet peeve of mine for multiple seasons. The Gophers bread and butter inbounds play is a 60 ft pass to their own backcourt. On Saturday vs. Arkansas St, Coffey was standing in the backcourt before they even handed the ball to the playing passing the ball in.

I understand you're not going to get layups every time or a wide open look. But try something. Screen across. Run an elevator screen for Gabe. Toss an alley-ooo to Omersa. Something. I don't care. You get 5 seconds to pass the ball in. The 50ft over head pass to the other side of half court is going to be open after 2-3 seconds. I'm positive because every other team has it figured out.

I do remember 1 time this year we got a layup on an inbounds play. Possibly against Utah. I remember because its 1 time in 5+ years.

Yeah i agree. Looks like us and the rest of the country have the same play. We also share the same play with everyone else at the end of the game where the coach draws up a play only to have the point guard throw up a 35 footer!

I'm going to go with we are saving the scoring inbounds plays for conference games. They are fairly easy to scout at this level and you can't have a 100 different ones.

The ones I hate are the entry to a back peddling big near the elbow that goes the other way for a dunk. Hate that entry. The result is the same as throwing it in the back court but it is overwhelmingly more dangerous tossing it to the elbow going away from the ball.

I like this theory but he hasn't used them in a conference game the previous 5 seasons...why start now?

This drives me crazy.....

I like this theory but he hasn't used them in a conference game the previous 5 seasons...why start now?

also. There's no reason why we can't (at least some of the time) get a high percentage scoring chance of the inbound. You have to make the other team work to defend you well. The deep pass should be the last outlet, not the first option.

Thank you for starting this thread. It seems like opposing teams get at least one decent look during a the game from an inbounds play. We get 0. I’d be fine if our offense consistently got us good looks, but that’s not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always impressed when I see a team execute a well-designed inbounds play for a score. They are pretty rare. Even well-executed attempts that don't score don't happen that often. Maybe coaches don't think the few chances for it to matter are worth the practice time. At least we seem to defend those plays fairly well (so they must practice that, at least).

Top Bottom