Georgia Tech says they deserved better than playing Minnesota

swingman

Reaction score
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ce-with-chip-shoulder/5nNFcEQFXhFTmKrJKZSBpM/

Georgia Tech quarterback TaQuon Marshall affirmed his disappointment over the Yellow Jackets being passed over by the ACC’s four tier-one bowls (Belk, Gator, Pinstripe and Sun) and then the Military and Independence bowls. Marshall tweeted his frustration with the process Dec. 2 after Tech was selected to play in the Quick Lane Bowl, which has the eighth pick of ACC teams.

Among the teams picked ahead of Tech were Virginia (Belk), Miami (Pinstripe) and Virginia Tech (Military), all of whom the Jackets beat head-to-head and finished ahead of in the ACC Coastal Division standings.

“You have to take it with a grain of salt,” Marshall said Saturday after the Jackets’ first bowl practice. “I think we put together a pretty good résumé to be able to go to a tier-one bowl. Once we got to six (wins), that’s what we were kind of playing for, for a better bowl game, and we thought that we did it.”

How Georgia Tech fell to the Quick Lane Bowl

Marshall, whose team will play Minnesota on Dec. 26 in Detroit, said the team will take motivation from it.

“Oh, yeah, definitely,” Marshall said. “We’re going to go out there and try to put our best game together and try to show everyone that maybe they should have picked us for a different bowl game.”

Marshall has a personal goal that he’s hoping to attain – 1,000 rushing yards. After 12 games, Marshall is at 896 yards, ninth in the ACC and first among quarterbacks. If he can rush for 104 yards against the Golden Gophers, he would become the first Tech quarterback in the modern era with two 1,000-yard rushing seasons. Marshall, who last season set the school record for most rushing yards in a season by a quarterback (1,146), is one of just three Tech quarterbacks to rush for 1,000 yards in a season. Justin Thomas (2014) and Joshua Nesbitt (2009) are the others.

neither the article nor the quotes say what you wrote in the subject headline. they want a better bowl and so would i if i was them, but it says nothing about "deserving better than playing minnesota"

Ummmmm. I am not reading any disrespect for Minnesota in the text. I am assuming the team, like the fans are miffed at the bowl, not the opponent. Most everything I have seen from Georgia Tech fans (and team) are focused on the fact teams they beat and finished ahead of in the ACC standings got placed farther up the bowl pecking order. This looks a lot more along those lines then any bulletin board material for the Gophers.

And I thought we should have received a better bowl than Purdue and wisconsin. Not a slight on Georgia Tech

Thread title is a blatant lie. They aren’t upset about playing us, they are upset about being placed in a lower bowl game than they deserved.

They make a strong point that they should have gotten to a better bowl, understandable IMO.

Maybe they will feel even worse after losing the game. I hope.

Last edited:

Ummmmm. I am not reading any disrespect for Minnesota in the text. I am assuming the team, like the fans are miffed at the bowl, not the opponent. Most everything I have seen from Georgia Tech fans (and team) are focused on the fact teams they beat and finished ahead of in the ACC standings got placed farther up the bowl pecking order. This looks a lot more along those lines then any bulletin board material for the Gophers.

Agree with this. Alot of Gopher fans were upset about Quick lane bowl. We weren't mad about GT

Tech also is saddled with what is called the golden rule of the bowl business: College teams based in NFL markets don’t travel. Besides Tech, that would include schools such as Miami, South Florida, SMU, Cincinnati, Vanderbilt and Boston College, among others. (Miami may overcome this association with a strong national brand.)

No one needs a reminder, but it’s evidence once again that college football is a business.

It would appear that the upshot for Tech is that ticket sales (especially those executed through the school and not secondary markets) and travel matter. Bowls, which typically have a civic-oriented mission, count on visitors to spur the economy and in some cases fund charities.

“You need to be supporting your team wherever they go,” the executive said. “That’s what drives it.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ick-lane-bowl/j8F3RzX2rl8zj1K7Eu2F4I/amp.html

This is why you buy from the ticket office of your school even if it is a few bucks more. We have been victims of this in the past, last big one was when we should have been invited to the Alamo bowl to face Nebraska. We had the #1 rushing offense in the country and Nebraska was #1 rushing D. Michigan went instead. The bowl committee felt we would not travel.

GT Coach Paul Johnson's retirement is a key variable for this game.

He's apparently taking a pretty laid-back, businesslike, another day at the office approach to the game.

I think he trusts the kids to respond appropriately and give him a "helluva" send-off to retirement.

Gophers can win but better show up ready to play or it will be a long December 26th evening...

I feel for the Tech fans, as the Gophers have been in this situation many times in the past 20 years. How many times did the freaking Alamo Bowls pass us over for teams we beat? Happened with other bowls as well. The fact it KEPT happening (and the Music City Bowl about lost its sh!t having to take MN every year) was part of the reason the B1G stepped in and started taking a more active role in placement. I get that these are essentially exhibition games and the bowls really owe nothing to the schools, but it still sucks to get passed over. This quote pretty much says it all:

Bowl officials said that they take into account factors like record and head-to-head play, but also other matters more central to their interests.

There's only one "other matter"...

This is why you buy from the ticket office of your school even if it is a few bucks more. We have been victims of this in the past, last big one was when we should have been invited to the Alamo bowl to face Nebraska. We had the #1 rushing offense in the country and Nebraska was #1 rushing D. Michigan went instead. The bowl committee felt we would not travel.

That would be reasonable if it was just a few bucks more. 3x the prices from stubhub and directly from the bowl and 9x the prices of the 4-pack is nowhere close to reasonable. Neither is assigning seat locations based on Gopher score when you have to pay their gouged and unreasonable prices to gain Gopher score.

Treat the fans right and the fans will travel well and spend money. Gouge prices to the point that it would be significantly cheaper to buy from Stubhub and try to build loyalty by calling it a "donation" or giving people meaningless rewards and the fans will either buy tickets elsewhere or not even show up. The marketing people are completely out of touch with the fans and are a huge part of the reason for our attendance problems.

<b>This is why you buy from the ticket office of your school even if it is a few bucks more. </b>We have been victims of this in the past, last big one was when we should have been invited to the Alamo bowl to face Nebraska. We had the #1 rushing offense in the country and Nebraska was #1 rushing D. Michigan went instead. The bowl committee felt we would not travel.

I wouldn’t mind paying a “few more bucks” for tix thru the school if they didn’t also shaft you with the worst seats in the stadium. That is a combo I just can’t get behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, definitely not buying through the school unless it's a major bowl game with a lot of demand (see: Citrus Bowl). I'll get a ticket for $5 outside the stadium in Detroit and probably have better seats than the folks paying $100 through the U of M.

Now that the league basically gets to dictate who goes where, there's a lot less need for proving we can travel to bowls. Too bad for Georgia Tech the ACC doesn't have the kind of pull the Big Ten does.

Its to bad that bowl games aren't decided by on-field play. A team like Tech has to travel to Detroit instead of being able to play a game in Yankee stadium, because the people choosing teams looked at things unrelated to the product on the field.

As for the tickets, I always go through stubhub or some other website. The difference in ticket prices are usually pretty big, plus I usually wait till the last minute to buy the tickets. I set up my entire trip and then usually go on to buy the tickets once I get to whatever city the game is played in.

Well, they prolly did. They were 5-3 in league play. We were 3-6. But Georgia Tech is a city school like we are, is relatively small compared to the ACC, and probably travels kinda crappy. Like Minnesota. So here we are. A bunch of people who don't wanna travel, really don't want to travel to Detroit in December, and will likely stay home and watch their NFL team circle the drain.

Maybe we'll play Pitt next year. Other than them, GT might be our most similar comparison school in football.

Last edited:

Top Bottom