Gophers Tie School Record for Academic All-Americans

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
From Gopher Sports

The University of Minnesota tied a school record with three players named Google Cloud Academic All- America® as selected by members of the College Sports Information Directors of American (CoSIDA). This honor recognizes the nation's top student-athletes for their combined performances on the field and in the classroom.

Payton Jordahl and Gary Moore each earned First-Team honors while Sam Renner was named Second-Team. The Gophers only had three Academic All-America® honorees in one other season when Justin Conzemius, Omar Douglas and Jeff Rosga all earned Second-Team accolades in 1993. Brandon Lingen was the last football player to be named Academic All-America® when he earned the distinction in 2015. In the previous 12 seasons the Gophers only had two Academic All-America® honorees in Lingen and Maxx Williams and Williams was the only First-Team honoree in that span.

Jordahl, Moore and Renner are three of 17 Division I Football Team members with a 4.0 GPA to be named Academic All-America®

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/12/10/football-ties-school-record-for-academic-all-americans.aspx

4.0 while playing football? Wow. Either grade inflation has gotten crazy since I graduated or we have a brilliant football team.

From Gopher Sports

The University of Minnesota tied a school record with three players named Google Cloud Academic All- America® as selected by members of the College Sports Information Directors of American (CoSIDA). This honor recognizes the nation's top student-athletes for their combined performances on the field and in the classroom.

Payton Jordahl and Gary Moore each earned First-Team honors while Sam Renner was named Second-Team. The Gophers only had three Academic All-America® honorees in one other season when Justin Conzemius, Omar Douglas and Jeff Rosga all earned Second-Team accolades in 1993. Brandon Lingen was the last football player to be named Academic All-America® when he earned the distinction in 2015. In the previous 12 seasons the Gophers only had two Academic All-America® honorees in Lingen and Maxx Williams and Williams was the only First-Team honoree in that span.

Jordahl, Moore and Renner are three of 17 Division I Football Team members with a 4.0 GPA to be named Academic All-America®

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/12/10/football-ties-school-record-for-academic-all-americans.aspx

Hats off to all of them, but the Gary Moore story is especially awesome. Huge learning disabilities - I believe dyslexia is one of them - when he came here and Gary overcame to be one of our best student-athletes. Love it!

Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very impressive young men!
Hats off to the Academic staff on creating a great teaching/learning environment for the all Gopher Athletic programs.

Were these PJ's recruits????? Just wondering.

This type of acheivment has nothing to do with who's recruits. This is a measuring stick of the culture our current head coach p.j. has installed. Could they have done this feat with a different coach? Absolutely. But they didn't and haven't to this extent for years.. I'll give p.j., his staff, and some hard working young men total credit for this

This type of acheivment has nothing to do with who's recruits. This is a measuring stick of the culture our current head coach p.j. has installed. Could they have done this feat with a different coach? Absolutely. But they didn't and haven't to this extent for years.. I'll give p.j., his staff, and some hard working young men total credit for this

It has more to do with the academic staff and the individual players than any of the coaches. Look at all athletes at the U, the academic achievements through all programs is outstanding.

It has more to do with the academic staff and the individual players than any of the coaches. Look at all athletes at the U, the academic achievements through all programs is outstanding.

You are correct. And that is why Mark Coyle deserves a large share of the credit and he will be receiving it the next time he makes a presentation to the Board of Regents.

Last edited:

3 doesn't sound too great until it's 3 of 17 in the whole nation doing that well. Elite! Well done!

You are correct. And that is why Mark Coyle deserves a large share of the credit and he will be receiving it the next time he makes a presentation to the Board of Regents.

Tell your husband nice job Mrs. Coyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Kill admin turned around the grades of a lot of Brew's recruits. I suppose time will tell but it seems Fleck runs a tight ship in this regard.

Congrats to all three of these student athletes! These guys surely put in some serious work, and have hopefully set themselves up for future success in whatever they want to do!

Top Bottom