2018 Red Shirts

No of course it's not a big deal ... just because I'm arguing doesn't mean I think it's a big deal relative to other things.

The argument that they didn't know if they were going to a bowl game doesn't work ... because then why did Dunlap only have 3 appearances (NM St, Illinois, Wisconsin ... so exactly what I was saying for BSF) ?

You really think the coaches should be worrying about making sure they can get all the freshman into a bowl game without burning the red shirts they would like to keep?

Pretty sure BSF would prefer catching that game-winning touchdown pass in Pasadena in a few years.

No of course it's not a big deal ... just because I'm arguing doesn't mean I think it's a big deal relative to other things.

The argument that they didn't know if they were going to a bowl game doesn't work ... because then why did Dunlap only have 3 appearances (NM St, Illinois, Wisconsin ... so exactly what I was saying for BSF) ?

JHCOPS(Fletch reference), why did you even bring it up then?
In case you missed it, BSF plays TE and CD plays OL. As you stated another post in this thread it is hard to just put an OL in the game as it breaks continuity. SOOOO, Dunlop has only played in three games because the starters were playing the rest of the time and if you didn't notice, they were improving all year long so why break them up, just to get some backup a few plays? It's not like Dunlop didn't play at all nor when he did get in the game did he look like a beast and totally dominate the guy across from him. He got his feet wet and is still able to play in the Bowl game if needed, while also being able to hang onto his RS.
BSF playing TE isn't the same as you can rotate at that position a little easier. He's played in 4 and now will have to watch the bowl game. I think we have enough other TE's to make it through that game that we won't need burn his redshirt. He got some experience and now will be ready to compete for a bigger role next season.

BSF playing TE isn't the same as you can rotate at that position a little easier.
I think we have enough other TE's to make it through that game that we won't need burn his redshirt.

Do you (and everyone) really not see how ironic this is???

We don't need him in the bowl game, because we have plenty of TE. ..... Oh yeah, we DEFINITELY needed him at Purdue. Yep, his presence there definitely allowed us to win.

Purdue is the only difference between BSF and Dunlap. The other three they played the same.

We don't need him in the bowl game, because we have plenty of TE. ..... Oh yeah, we DEFINITELY needed him at Purdue. Yep, his presence there definitely allowed us to win.

Purdue is the only difference between BSF and Dunlap. The other three they played the same.

I bet he does not care. I am guessing he thought it was cool to get to play in four games and still redshirt. He got to play in the game where we won the axe after and broke the streak. He will still travel and get the goodie bag. He will also get to experience all the other fun bowl activities.

Maybe in the Purdue game, some of the other TE's were not able to play for awhile due to injury and they needed a TE to run certain plays.

Redshirted in 2018 (Games Played)
TE - Brevyn Spann-Ford (4, Fleck has already stated won't burn a redshirt in a bowl game)
OG - Curtis Dunlap Jr. (3)
LB - Braelen Oliver (2)
RB - Shannon Brooks (SR, 1)
DB - Josh Aune (1)
DL - Mayan Ahanotu (1)
OT - Jason Dickson (JR, 0)
DL - Nate Umlor (SO, 0)
RB - Nolan Edmonds (0)
WR - Jornell Manns (0)
WR - Erik Gibson (0)
OL - Austin Beier (0)
OL - Nathan Boe (0)
OL - Jack York (0)
DB - CJ Smith (0)
DE - Alex Reigelsperger (0)
DL - Abi N-Okonji (0)

Has Not Used Redshirt (Year, Games Played)
WR - Tyler Johnson (JR, 12)
DL - Carter Coughlin (JR, 12)
LB - Kamal Martin (JR, 12)
LB - Thomas Barber (JR, 12)
DB - Justus Harris (SO, 12)
WR - Rashod Bateman (FR, 12)
RB - Bryce Williams (FR, 12)
DB - Benny Sapp III (FR, 12)
DB - Jordan Howden (FR, 12)
TE - Max Janes (FR, 12)
DL - Taiyon Devers (JR, 11)
LB - Thomas Rush (FR, 11)
LB - Mariano Sori-Marin (FR, 11)
CB - Terell Smith (FR, 10)
OT - Daniel Faalele (FR, 9)
QB - Zack Annexstad (FR, 8)
DL - Jamaal Teague (FR, 7)

Last edited:

I bet he does not care. I am guessing he thought it was cool to get to play in four games and still redshirt. He got to play in the game where we won the axe after and broke the streak. He will still travel and get the goodie bag. He will also get to experience all the other fun bowl activities.

You don’t think he’ll care hatbhe won’t get to play, because he was on the field for the blowout win over Purdue??

I’m fine with people telling me that my opinion is wrong. Have at it. But if I were him, in retrospect I would not be pleased!

You don’t think he’ll care hatbhe won’t get to play, because he was on the field for the blowout win over Purdue??

I’m fine with people telling me that my opinion is wrong. Have at it. But if I were him, in retrospect I would not be pleased!

Play in front of the home crowd vs. a BIG opponent or in front of a low level bowl game crowd vs. a team we don't face often, I think I would prefer the home crowd, BIG game and the win over the bowl game.

Play in front of the home crowd vs. a BIG opponent or in front of a low level bowl game crowd vs. a team we don't face often, I think I would prefer the home crowd, BIG game and the win over the bowl game.

I've been wrong many times before, and will be wrong many times again. I'm fine with being wrong. I'm sticking to my opinion.

Hindsight is 20/20. What if he didn't play the Purdue game and went into Wisconsin game with 2 games left to play? Then if we lost to Badgers he ended the season with 3 games played. Would he not be pleased in that situation as well?

Hindsight is 20/20. What if he didn't play the Purdue game and went into Wisconsin game with 2 games left to play? Then if we lost to Badgers he ended the season with 3 games played. Would he not be pleased in that situation as well?

First of all -- as I think you well understand, this is all just wild speculation by me, OK? I'm talking how *I* would feel. I haven't talked to Dunlap, Ford, or any Gophers player directly.

That said, IMO that's not at all the same situation, and so if it was me, my reaction wouldn't at all be the same.

i) Played in NM St, Illinois, Wisconsin, and we lost the Wisc game, giving "only" 3 games participation ---> "I got to play in 3 games this year, 2 against Big Ten teams, including our arch-rival ... it was an honor to even get on the field as a freshman, and I was happy to help, while getting to maintain my redshirt"

ii) Played in NM St, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, and we won the Wisc game, giving 4 games participation, but unable to play in the bowl game ----> "I really wish coaches had not put me in the Purdue game, because my presence on the field quite obviously didn't matter in that game, we were going to blow them out either way. And a bowl game is a really special thing, that I wish I could get on the field for to celebrate the end of the season with my boys"

Sorry if that makes no sense to you or you want to say it is wrong. Go for it. That's how *I* would feel, in the two scenarios.

First of all -- as I think you well understand, this is all just wild speculation by me, OK? I'm talking how *I* would feel. I haven't talked to Dunlap, Ford, or any Gophers player directly.

That said, IMO that's not at all the same situation, and so if it was me, my reaction wouldn't at all be the same.

i) Played in NM St, Illinois, Wisconsin, and we lost the Wisc game, giving "only" 3 games participation ---> "I got to play in 3 games this year, 2 against Big Ten teams, including our arch-rival ... it was an honor to even get on the field as a freshman, and I was happy to help, while getting to maintain my redshirt"

ii) Played in NM St, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, and we won the Wisc game, giving 4 games participation, but unable to play in the bowl game ----> "I really wish coaches had not put me in the Purdue game, because my presence on the field quite obviously didn't matter in that game, we were going to blow them out either way. And a bowl game is a really special thing, that I wish I could get on the field for to celebrate the end of the season with my boys"

Sorry if that makes no sense to you or you want to say it is wrong. Go for it. That's how *I* would feel, in the two scenarios.

How would you feel about:
Played in NM St, Illinois, and Purdue games. Didn't play in Wisc because you were hoping for a win and to play in a bowl game? A win, which happened, would be great. Had we lost then you would've only played in 3 so would you have wished to have played in the Wisc game and maybe helped the team win to reach a bowl game?

My question - with the 4-game red-shirt rule, I don't understand why so many FR have not appeared in a single game.

If it was up to me, every FR would have played in a game, and most of them would have played in 3 or 4. it's free experience. gives the kid a chance to really feel like part of the team, and partake in the game-day experience. shows them what they are practicing and preparing for.

what do you accomplish by holding them out? Unless the player is injured - or is completely unprepared and not ready to play college FB - I just don't see why you wouldn't take advantage of the new rule.

Thoughts - ideas?

My question - with the 4-game red-shirt rule, I don't understand why so many FR have not appeared in a single game.

If it was up to me, every FR would have played in a game, and most of them would have played in 3 or 4. it's free experience. gives the kid a chance to really feel like part of the team, and partake in the game-day experience. shows them what they are practicing and preparing for.

what do you accomplish by holding them out? Unless the player is injured - or is completely unprepared and not ready to play college FB - I just don't see why you wouldn't take advantage of the new rule.

Thoughts - ideas?

I think it's a variety of reasons:
(1) I think some of them are just not physically ready;
(2) Some of them just didn't earn it in practice;
(3) Many of them didn't travel for away games, so they wouldn't have played in them, even if it were a blowout;
(4) Many of them are 3rd/4th string behind other young players. Hickox (RS FR) appears to be third string DT, instead of giving him 10 plays, do we want to limit him to 5 so that everyone gets to play?
(5) Many of them are OL/DL - - they don't play on any coverage teams;
(6) Our starters are young, it makes sense to get the Faalele's, Andries', Howden's, Bateman's as many reps as possible.

How would you feel about:
Played in NM St, Illinois, and Purdue games. Didn't play in Wisc because you were hoping for a win and to play in a bowl game? A win, which happened, would be great. Had we lost then you would've only played in 3 so would you have wished to have played in the Wisc game and maybe helped the team win to reach a bowl game?

It really comes down to how you value the game in question, vs how you value playing in the blowout win vs Purdue, where your presence on the field clearly wasn't needed.

In the scenario of playing in NM St, Illinois, and Purdue, with no bowl win, I would've wished the coaches wouldn't have played me in Purdue, so that I could've played in the Wisconsin game without risking playing in the bowl or not.

Lets see what he thinks 25 years from now... playing in his 4th game in a win at Wisconsin to stop the streak and get the axe or not playing in the Motor City Bowl (whatever it is called now-a-days) on December 26 in Detroit, Michigan...

Don’t try to argue with the village idiot.

I don't think the staff was rationing games with the bowl in mind. I think like the rest of us the additional game came somewhat as a November surprise to them.

He got to play 4 games and not use a year of eligibility, which is better than athletes in other NCAA sports get, and better than every player who came before his class got.

I find it funny that other threads call the bowl a meaningless exhibition and some consider it the biggest game of the year.

i think that it’s really wonderful that you want to share your feelings here and are comfortable doing so.

i think that it’s really wonderful that you want to share your feelings here and are comfortable doing so.

Thank you for quoting my post, so that highwayTroll has to read it. And he did, even if he claims he didn't. Ha Ha!

I could be wrong, but I think they want Dunlap and Faalele to play together, as the IMG boys. Maybe not though. Will be interesting for sure.

Guessing their history together had very little to do with it but imagine the power running mismatches you’d have with 2 400 pounders lining up next to each other. Now imagine lining up a’300 pound TE next to them.

I believe Dunlap and faalele are destined to play next to each other, meaning Blaise lines up either at LG or LT depending on how Dickson/Schmitz look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom