2018 Red Shirts

THE Chitown Gopher

Reaction score
Of the 2018 class, who is still able to keep a red shirt?

I know several true frosh played this year, but don't have the detail as to who lost the ability to keep a RS.

By My estimation the following have lost their frosh RS:

Annexstad
Sapp
Smith
Edwards
Bateman
Teague
FlaaleleAny insight is appreciated.

Last edited:

Thanks Maxy.

Hoping we see a lot of Dunlap Jr in the bowl game.

Looks like Brevyn Spann-Ford has played in 4 games and cannot play in the bowl game unless they wanted to lose a RS (which I very highly doubt)

Looks like Brevyn Spann-Ford has played in 4 games and cannot play in the bowl game unless they wanted to lose a RS (which I very highly doubt)

That is VERY unfortunate. He is the only freshman (player in fact) right at 4 games. Did his appearance in those 4 games affect their outcome??? Sorry, but think I'm gonna have to call out the coaching staff on this one for doing a poor job of management. Unless he really was needed ... but I doubt it. Would've been very much a special and well deserved treat to be able to allow him to play in the bowl game as a freshman. That in fact was the whole point of the new rule ... now that's blown for him.

That is VERY unfortunate. He is the only freshman (player in fact) right at 4 games. Did his appearance in those 4 games affect their outcome??? Sorry, but think I'm gonna have to call out the coaching staff on this one for doing a poor job of management. Unless he really was needed ... but I doubt it. Would've been very much a special and well deserved treat to be able to allow him to play in the bowl game as a freshman. That in fact was the whole point of the new rule ... now that's blown for him.
Please tell me this is a joke......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think they played in 4 games because they wanted him to play those games. It isn't like he was going to play 50 snaps randomly in a bowl game (which, by the way, wasn't guaranteed). Lets say they didn't make a bowl game. Then you're not giving him 4 games of experience.

I would like to see this too! Question is, who do you move to make room for Dunlap? Andries to tackle? Keep Schlueter doing the TE/OL6 thing?

I'm curious as well. Not sure who else is in the mix to play snaps. And maybe they rotate Dunlap with someone. I think he is expected to play a lot next year so getting him some significant PT now may help (may not, no one knows)

I LOVE our right side of Faalele and Andries. Left side next year will likely be Dickson and Lunlap (I suppose you could switch Dunlap and Andries, but then you're losing continuity with the big men on the right side). Olson or an unknown will be at Center. I like that line. Its big, experience (Dickson, Olson, Andries and Faalele) and young. Lots of upside!

I think they played in 4 games because they wanted him to play those games. It isn't like he was going to play 50 snaps randomly in a bowl game (which, by the way, wasn't guaranteed). Lets say they didn't make a bowl game. Then you're not giving him 4 games of experience.

Yes good point ... but the context is what snaps did he get in those 4 games and did they make a difference in the game? My guess is now, I bet they wish they would've held him out of one of the games!

I'm curious as well. Not sure who else is in the mix to play snaps. And maybe they rotate Dunlap with someone. I think he is expected to play a lot next year so getting him some significant PT now may help (may not, no one knows)

I LOVE our right side of Faalele and Andries. Left side next year will likely be Dickson and Lunlap (I suppose you could switch Dunlap and Andries, but then you're losing continuity with the big men on the right side). Olson or an unknown will be at Center. I like that line. Its big, experience (Dickson, Olson, Andries and Faalele) and young. Lots of upside!

I could be wrong, but I think they want Dunlap and Faalele to play together, as the IMG boys. Maybe not though. Will be interesting for sure. And yes you certainly can rotate guys, but think it's better to have the same starting five, if you can. That means someone is on the outside looking in, between Andries, Olson, Dunlap .... if JM Schmitz is going to be the center.

Did Olson already play center? It's not an easy thing to do necessarily, to just start snapping the ball from nothing, especially shotgun snaps.

Yes good point ... but the context is what snaps did he get in those 4 games and did they make a difference in the game? My guess is now, I bet they wish they would've held him out of one of the games!

Why? So he could get a few snaps in a bowl game?

He played mop up duty in the home opener vs. New Mexico State (blocked on 3 straight runs, all traps I think, first game of his career), I believe played @ Maryland (big ten road experience) got some time vs Purdue (big ten home game experience, same deal as NMSU, only blocked) and was targeted 1 time @ wisconsin (not sure if he had other plays, but rivalry game experience)

Seems like he kind of got a taste of it all. I expect big things from him next year if he is healthy. Very good athlete, great hands and incredible pass catcher plus a physical and willing blocker.

I could be wrong, but I think they want Dunlap and Faalele to play together, as the IMG boys. Maybe not though. Will be interesting for sure. And yes you certainly can rotate guys, but think it's better to have the same starting five, if you can. That means someone is on the outside looking in, between Andries, Olson, Dunlap .... if JM Schmitz is going to be the center.

Did Olson already play center? It's not an easy thing to do necessarily, to just start snapping the ball from nothing, especially shotgun snaps.

Pretty sure he was a center in high school. Maybe it doesn't translate to the Gophers but I think this is correct.

I'm fine with the IMG boys anchoring one side of the line. Coaches know more than I do. Just like continuity. Replacing a lineman is hard. Moving a few around can lead to some headaches early on.

Yes. Did a quick Google search of 2017 Gopher depth chart and found this. He's listed as the starting center. Would make sense for him to move there next season with a starting OL of Dickson, Dunlap, Olson, Andries, Faalele.

https://www.huskermax.com/2017-minnesota-football-depth-chart/

You get 4 games. Any MORE than that and you lose eligibility.

Why? So he could get a few snaps in a bowl game?

He played mop up duty in the home opener vs. New Mexico State (blocked on 3 straight runs, all traps I think, first game of his career), I believe played @ Maryland (big ten road experience) got some time vs Purdue (big ten home game experience, same deal as NMSU, only blocked) and was targeted 1 time @ wisconsin (not sure if he had other plays, but rivalry game experience)

Seems like he kind of got a taste of it all. I expect big things from him next year if he is healthy. Very good athlete, great hands and incredible pass catcher plus a physical and willing blocker.

To answer your question honestly ... yes. To get a few snaps, and play in a bowl game. That's it.

So I'm just saying .... if they had it to do over again, would they probably choose to hold him out of Purdue (where his presence clearly wouldn't have mattered) in exchange for letting him take some snaps in the bowl? I would say yes. Impossible to know for sure.

https://gophersports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

Click on Miscellaneous and there is a list of participation. If they are not on the list, they never played. If they have a 4 or less, they are eligible to red-shirt.

Is that true? If so only like five guys are eligible to redshirt.

I think you missed the bold. Guys like Reigelsperger and Edmonds are not on the list so they are also eligible to RS.

Use this link. It's after week 11 but I don't think much as changed. About 14 will be RS'ing

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...racker-for-minnesota-gopher-football-freshmen

Is that true? If so only like five guys are eligible to redshirt.

Many freshmen are not on the list, meaning they never played. That list has all players that played in games.

Spann-Ford
2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Made his Minnesota and collegiate debut against New Mexico State • started at Illinois • competed against Purdue and in win at Wisconsin.

Oh RATS!!!
We WASTED HIS EFFORT AGAINST ILLINOIS!!!!

PJ played a lot of kids against New Mexico so everyone got their "first's" out of the way. That was his methodology from the start.

But obviously playing Spann-Ford in a loss was a waste.

Or if he didn't contribute much in the two wins against Purdue and Wisconsin (two must wins) that would be a waste as well.

/s

To answer your question honestly ... yes. To get a few snaps, and play in a bowl game. That's it.

So I'm just saying .... if they had it to do over again, would they probably choose to hold him out of Purdue (where his presence clearly wouldn't have mattered) in exchange for letting him take some snaps in the bowl? I would say yes. Impossible to know for sure.

They didn't know they were playing in a bowl game until after the last game. If he only plays in 3 and they lost against Wisconsin, then he doesn't get a chance to play in the 4th game. He still has 4 years to play in bowl games. Not a big deal at all in my opinion.

They didn't know they were playing in a bowl game until after the last game. If he only plays in 3 and they lost against Wisconsin, then he doesn't get a chance to play in the 4th game. He still has 4 years to play in bowl games. Not a big deal at all in my opinion.

Not a big deal at all. I'm glad he got his four games in and I'm glad he got to RS. I don't really care which particular games he played.

Spann-Ford
2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Made his Minnesota and collegiate debut against New Mexico State • started at Illinois • competed against Purdue and in win at Wisconsin.

Oh RATS!!!

PJ played a lot of kids against New Mexico so everyone got their "first's" out of the way. That was his methodology from the start.

Or if he didn't contribute much in the two wins against Purdue and Wisconsin (two must wins) that would be a waste as well.

/s
Do you honestly think we wasted any player in a loss you Illinois? Going into the game, I'm guessing everyone assumed win

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spann-Ford

Oh RATS!!!

/s

Do you honestly think we wasted any player in a loss you Illinois? Going into the game, I'm guessing everyone assumed win

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Read the bold again.

Lets see what he thinks 25 years from now... playing in his 4th game in a win at Wisconsin to stop the streak and get the axe or not playing in the Motor City Bowl (whatever it is called now-a-days) on December 26 in Detroit, Michigan...

No of course it's not a big deal ... just because I'm arguing doesn't mean I think it's a big deal relative to other things.

The argument that they didn't know if they were going to a bowl game doesn't work ... because then why did Dunlap only have 3 appearances (NM St, Illinois, Wisconsin ... so exactly what I was saying for BSF) ?

I do love the new rule that you can play 4 games and still red shirt. As mentioned before, I think it really helps teams like the Gophers who don't have 4-5 star players at all positions. It gave us a chance to see some of these young kids in action early.

Top Bottom