Jackrabbits vs Bison in FCS semi on ESPN 2 Friday at 7

As far as the actual game - I'll just say this (and then get flamed). Easton Stick is a good QB. Whatever you might think about FCS football, or the NDSU program, they have developed some really legitimate Quarterbacks. Somebody at that school knows something.

I think Morgan and Annexstad have some potential. I don't want to compare them directly to Stick, because Stick is a 5th-year Senior. He's at a different stage of his career.

Just saying that, whatever NDSU does to develop QB's, I would like to see the Gophers be able to do the same thing, or something similar.

As far as the actual game - I'll just say this (and then get flamed). Easton Stick is a good QB. Whatever you might think about FCS football, or the NDSU program, they have developed some really legitimate Quarterbacks. Somebody at that school knows something.

I think Morgan and Annexstad have some potential. I don't want to compare them directly to Stick, because Stick is a 5th-year Senior. He's at a different stage of his career.

Just saying that, whatever NDSU does to develop QB's, I would like to see the Gophers be able to do the same thing, or something similar.

This may be true. However if your team is so much better than the opponent, your qb can be very confident in all games played. If Stick has played a 9-10 game B1G schedule for 4 years, do you think he would be as confident? Idk. Would he be the same player? Idk. Perspective.

I wish we could start to develop QBs like wentz's and sticks of the world but context is key. If annexstad played 13 games vs FCS opponents he would probably be much more confident in the pocket than when he was getting pummeled by Nelson of iowa or young of ohio st.

Plenty of kids get decent education from the Dakotas colleges and get their college partially paid for. Nothing wrong with that.

It is when the Gophers missed on an in state recruit that end up being NFL caliber that is bothersome. But, you never know whether this same kid will develop the same way with the Gophers.

You can't offer partial scholarships for football at the Divison I level.

Much different level of competition.

You can't offer partial scholarships for football at the Divison I level.

Depends what you mean. In FBS, each player on scholarship counts a full head (a "headcount sport"). You get 85 headcounts max. But technically, there is no rule against giving one of those 85 less than a full scholarship. There is a rule saying that teams have to provide 90% of the maximum.

In FCS (which is also Divison I), it's not a headcount sport, so partials happen all the time.

This may be true. However if your team is so much better than the opponent, your qb can be very confident in all games played. If Stick has played a 9-10 game B1G schedule for 4 years, do you think he would be as confident? Idk. Would he be the same player? Idk. Perspective.

I wish we could start to develop QBs like wentz's and sticks of the world but context is key. If annexstad played 13 games vs FCS opponents he would probably be much more confident in the pocket than when he was getting pummeled by Nelson of iowa or young of ohio st.[/

Watch some Stick highlights vs Iowa if you want some context, Beathard was not the best QB that day, and he’s playing on Sunday. You have a inflated opinion of B1G west, and need to watch more college FB.

Last edited:

I was as shocked as anyone that Beathard made it to the nfl. He didn't stand out to me in college as that great of a player. Looking better than him in one game doesn't really mean much.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I was as shocked as anyone that Beathard made it to the nfl. He didn't stand out to me in college as that great of a player. Looking better than him in one game doesn't really mean much.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I thought that Morgan showed some really good promise this year. Stick as a Senior is light years ahead of where Stick was as FR with a wide playbook, audibling into the right plays, command of the O. It really helps to have a the same guy in there for 4 years instead of changes every year.

Last edited:

I wish we could start to develop QBs like wentz's and sticks of the world but context is key. If annexstad played 13 games vs FCS opponents he would probably be much more confident in the pocket than when he was getting pummeled by Nelson of iowa or young of ohio st.[/

Watch some Stick highlights vs Iowa if you want some context, Beathard was not the best QB that day, and he’s playing on Sunday. You have a inflated opinion of B1G west, and need to watch more college FB.

That same year Mitch outplayed Beathard. No one cares.

I thought that Morgan showed some really good promise this year. Stick as a Senior is light years ahead of where Stick was as FR with a wide playbook, audibling into the right plays, command of the O. It really helps to have a the same guy in there for 4 years instead of changes every year.

No doubt playing for 4 straight years would help a quarterback's development...in most cases. Certainly better than only playing 1 or 2 years.

I'm as big of a Leidner fan as any one here and unfortunately he didn't really improve much sophomore-senior year. Beathard actually had his best year as a junior, I believe.

I think you underestimate the toll its takes on a body when you play vs 290 lb DLs vs 260 dls. playing iowa, Wisconsin, and northwestern in a row can reek havoc on a 44 player 2 deep vs playing Illinois st, western Illinois, and Delaware. Come on.

Even the best team can be beaten in a one game "super bowl." A 16 seed beat a 1 seed. USA beat the Russians in 1980.

Stick's arm talent seems to be very, very good. I was really surprised watching the game how fast the ball comes out and with how much zip. No idea if he can play at the next level but he's way better than I thought.

Stick's arm talent seems to be very, very good. I was really surprised watching the game how fast the ball comes out and with how much zip. No idea if he can play at the next level but he's way better than I thought.

Stick has average arm strength. The Bison ground game really sets up the passing game and his line and his legs mean he gets very little pressure. On the very rare occasion where he is pressured, his passes are errant and hang up (this occurred in Brookings last fall). His ceivers are typically about as wide open as they can get. SDSU's QB has a cannon and is the all time leading passer in the MVFC. But Stick is the better overall QB and might be one of the best football players in all of college football this fall.

Top Bottom