Jackrabbits vs Bison in FCS semi on ESPN 2 Friday at 7

swingman

Reaction score
in Fargo...Bison won 21-17 earlier this year...

SDSU goes to 10-2 with road win over Kennesaw

Gophs open 2019 season with SDSU at TCF August 29th

I believe SDSU has a chance, they are senior heavy and should take a slight step back next year (I think)

2016 also forced the Jackrabbits to come back to Fargo after playing there in the regular season. They won a close game that year though, they lost a close game this year.

Rematches often favor the team that lost the first match, so this is potentially a trap game for the Bison. Never mind this is a crazy rivalry ... that NDSU has absolutely dominated since the early 2010's. SDSU will give it every thing they have to pull out the upset.

Both of these programs are better football teams (ie, on the field) than the bottom of P5 programs.

Anyone know the last time NDSU played a road playoff game?

They have of course played several neutral site playoff games in the last few years, but they last played a true road playoff game in 2010 - they beat Montana St. in Bozeman before losing to Eastern Washington in Cheney.

12/4/2010 vs. Montana State in Bozeman. Won 42-17. Lost in the second round the following week to Eastern Washington, 31-38.

I apologize to all GopherHolers for taking the time to look this up.

Last edited:

12/4/2010 vs. Montana State. Won 42-17. Lost the following week to Eastern Washington, 31-38.

Eastern Washington 2010 quarterfinals actually the last time. Bison lost on their red field

Eastern Washington 2010 quarterfinals actually the last time. Bison lost on their red field

You are correct.... I was looking down their list of playoff games that year and assumed the loss to E. Washington was in the Frisco Bowl at the neutral site.

Thought that perhaps this also answered the question of when they were last not in the championship game... but I later note that in 2016 they lost in the semi final to James Madison. Did Fargo burn?

Last edited:

2ish years ago James Madison beat Youngstown state in Frisco. Bison lost to SDSU in the Fargodome.

I watched the Ferris St vs Minnesota State game on Saturday and also caught a little of Mount Union. I always enjoy catching the lower division teams play on TV this time of year.

12/4/2010 vs. Montana State in Bozeman. Won 42-17. Lost in the second round the following week to Eastern Washington, 31-38.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in Fargo...Bison won 21-17 earlier this year...

SDSU goes to 10-2 with road win over Kennesaw

Gophs open 2019 season with SDSU at TCF August 29th

The entire country will be riveted to the TV.

Is this the game where afterwards several people point out all the great players on either team that had the door shut on their faces, were told "NO!...and your kids will never player here either!", or "sorry, but you are not D1 material, and you smell", by the University of Minnesota football staff? And is this the game where afterwards it will be mentioned by others that coach "X" from SDSU, or coach "Y" from NDSU should have been hired instead of PJ Fleck because they know how to win? Just checking, because is that not the rule when schools from the Dakotas are rolling through the playoffs?
I think it's also pointed out that NDSU is better than Minnesota because they beat the Gophers like 8 or 9 years ago, or something. I may be mistaken, but haven't a lot of those players (and coaches) from back then moved on? I mean there are no 13th-seniors left at the U that still feel the sting, correct?

Wasn't there a bad call or something that likely cost them the game?

Yes, the replay showed an obvious TD run by NDSU (the XP would've tied it back up), but the refs wouldn't make the correct call, so EW won the game, and ended up winning the national title.

Since then, 2011 - 2017 ... NDSU has won the national title 6 out of 7 years, and is seeded #1 this year.

Is this the game where afterwards several people point out all the great players on either team that had the door shut on their faces, were told "NO!...and your kids will never player here either!", or "sorry, but you are not D1 material, and you smell", by the University of Minnesota football staff? And is this the game where afterwards it will be mentioned by others that coach "X" from SDSU, or coach "Y" from NDSU should have been hired instead of PJ Fleck because they know how to win? Just checking, because is that not the rule when schools from the Dakotas are rolling through the playoffs?
I think it's also pointed out that NDSU is better than Minnesota because they beat the Gophers like 8 or 9 years ago, or something. I may be mistaken, but haven't a lot of those players (and coaches) from back then moved on? I mean there are no 13th-seniors left at the U that still feel the sting, correct?

I'm frankly shocked that the U still schedules the Dakota schools in football. Nothing to gain, everything to lose, and their players treat it like the Super Bowl.

Would like to see the rules updated so that P5 schools can only schedule other FBS schools. Maybe allow one week of preseason, if you want to schedule an FCS team, something along those lines.

I'm frankly shocked that the U still schedules the Dakota schools in football. Nothing to gain, everything to lose, and their players treat it like the Super Bowl.

Would like to see the rules updated so that P5 schools can only schedule other FBS schools. Maybe allow one week of preseason, if you want to schedule an FCS team, something along those lines.

This may be a Big 10 thing now but some of these games were already scheduled.

This may be a Big 10 thing now but some of these games were already scheduled.

This game was scheduled a long time ago and the Gophers even moved it back a few years. The SDSU game was scheduled before the big ten stopped scheduling FCS teams. Of course now the Big Ten can schedule them again

Personally I'd like to have NDSU on schedule every few years. Not every year, don't want them getting cocky and thinking they're an actual rival. But they draw well and it leads to fun discussion. I'd play them over, say New Mexico Aggies

This game was scheduled a long time ago and the Gophers even moved it back a few years. The SDSU game was scheduled before the big ten stopped scheduling FCS teams. Of course now the Big Ten can schedule them again

We want the Yotes

What would the line be if the Gophers played NDSD at TCF Bank Stadium in 2019?

NDSU runs a very old school offense, power up the middle. They more or less rely on simply being bigger and stronger than the teams they play against ... most teams don't run that type of offense anymore.

Not so sure it would work as well against a Big Ten defense with big OJ and Royal, and Dom Barber in there .... but then again that did not stop them before.

Top Bottom