Jackrabbits vs Bison in FCS semi on ESPN 2 Friday at 7

I believe SDSU has a chance, they are senior heavy and should take a slight step back next year (I think)

My last post on this thread. This game to me is essentially the national championship for FCS. Whoever wins Friday will win the FCS title in a blowout game in Frisco.

NDSU runs a very old school offense, power up the middle. They more or less rely on simply being bigger and stronger than the teams they play against ... most teams don't run that type of offense anymore.

Not so sure it would work as well against a Big Ten defense with big OJ and Royal, and Dom Barber in there .... but then again that did not stop them before.

Iowa was killing NDSU in the 4th quarter, or was it the other way around. That power offense would never work against a B1G team ?

Should be a fun game, especially in view of the fact we play SDSU. Love the whole Fargo set-up: fans, little dome, national championships, great skill players they recruit, etc. Will be interesting to see how NDSU does away from home.

Looks like Bison coach will go to KState and Wildcat fans aren’t happy bout the hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa was killing NDSU in the 4th quarter, or was it the other way around. That power offense would never work against a B1G team ��

NDSU has shown they can do it for a game, but I don't think they'd hold up for an entire season in the B1G. I know you disagree, but carry on.

Iowa was killing NDSU in the 4th quarter, or was it the other way around. That power offense would never work against a B1G team ��

Tell me more about a two year old game against a team with less wins than the gophers had that year.

Looks like Bison coach will go to KState and Wildcat fans aren’t happy bout the hire.

Gene Taylor is the new AD at Kstate, came from from Iowa. And before that, was the AD at NDSU for many years, hiring both Bohl and Klieman.

He’s sticking his neck out on this hire, massively. But I know Bill Snyder was very impressed with NDSU’s program when they beat Kstate a few years ago. I assume this has his blessing and agreement in order to get the green light.

The Godfather of Bison football in the D1 era has not exactly been able to carry on the smash mouth legacy he developed at NDSU now at Wyoming. Pretty sure Kleiman will find the same true at KSU.

Gene Taylor is the new AD at Kstate, came from from Iowa. And before that, was the AD at NDSU for many years, hiring both Bohl and Klieman.

He’s sticking his neck out on this hire, massively. But I know Bill Snyder was very impressed with NDSU’s program when they beat Kstate a few years ago. I assume this has his blessing and agreement in order to get the green light.

It will be interesting to watch this program for college football fans, the first time Snyder retired, it didn't go well. I'm not sure this has Snyder's blessing, pretty sure he wanted his son to be HC, and he probably will hang around the program he built.

The Godfather of Bison football in the D1 era has not exactly been able to carry on the smash mouth legacy he developed at NDSU now at Wyoming. Pretty sure Kleiman will find the same true at KSU.

Bison fans are delusional

Bohl has done reasonably well at Wyoming ... his problem is that Boise State is a great program at that level, plus you have Utah State coming on, Colorado St with a new stadium and trying to build up, and Fresno and San Diego St are both doing well.

Now you look at KState and having to go against OU and Texas, plus Iowa State is coming up, West Virgina has been pretty good, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech pretty decent too .... there's just so much competition.

Seems at higher levels it's more about landing elite recruits, than about getting guys and coaching them up. Not sure that Klieman is a great recruiter ... at NDSU, it was basically a helmet school to any kid in the upper midwest who knew he was DI good but not good enough for the Big Ten.

NDSU only does well because nobody recruits Minnesota except Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa, and on occasion Notre Dame.

Players with the same talent in Georgia, Texas, Florida, etc. end up at Minnesota or other mid tier P5 or somewhere in FBS. If you are a HS player in Minnesota and the Gophers don't call, you end up at NDSU. They are an upper tier MAC team in terms of talent but playing FCS. Notice how almost all the best non-FBS teams hail from the Upper Midwest.

NDSU only does well because nobody recruits Minnesota except Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa, and on occasion Notre Dame.

Players with the same talent in Georgia, Texas, Florida, etc. end up at Minnesota or other mid tier P5 or somewhere in FBS. If you are a HS player in Minnesota and the Gophers don't call, you end up at NDSU. They are an upper tier MAC team in terms of talent but playing FCS. Notice how almost all the best non-FBS teams hail from the Upper Midwest.

They've got a good system and they recruit guys who fit that system very well. I think they do a great job of developing talent.

If you are a HS player in Minnesota and the Gophers don't call, you end up at NDSU. They are an upper tier MAC team in terms of talent but playing FCS. Notice how almost all the best non-FBS teams hail from the Upper Midwest.

Exactly.

The other key thing too is that they mostly take high school players. A lot of FCS teams can have a great year or two by relying on some really good FBS transfers, but when they leave it doesn't sustain.

Bohl has done reasonably well at Wyoming ... his problem is that Boise State is a great program at that level, plus you have Utah State coming on, Colorado St with a new stadium and trying to build up, and Fresno and San Diego St are both doing well.

I also said at the time, that Fargo would be an easier place to recruit than Laramie. Fargo is a decent mid-size city with most of the amenities you'd find in larger places - it's just very, very cold, but they do play indoors. Laramie is in the middle of nowhere.

I also said at the time, that Fargo would be an easier place to recruit than Laramie. Fargo is a decent mid-size city with most of the amenities you'd find in larger places - it's just very, very cold, but they do play indoors. Laramie is in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, and the state of Wyoming has no commercial air service with passenger jets. They have airports, just no major commercial service. My understanding is that recruits aren't allowed to be flown in on private airplanes, so they have to fly into Denver and then bus up to Laramie.

Yes, and the state of Wyoming has no commercial air service with passenger jets. They have airports, just no major commercial service. My understanding is that recruits aren't allowed to be flown in on private airplanes, so they have to fly into Denver and then bus up to Laramie.

There's commuter airline service to Cheyenne and Laramie, but I believe it's pretty limited. Either way, it's a remote place.

There's commuter airline service to Cheyenne and Laramie, but I believe it's pretty limited. Either way, it's a remote place.

Yep I was wrong, although the service to Cheyenne was just annouced last month. From Dallas. And Laramie has service from Denver since 2016. Small jets, but commercial service is commercial service.

That definitely helps, for a recruit from Texas to be able to fly in and bus from much closer than Denver.

Yeah, because there isn't enough consistent football talent in the upper midwest.

Just tuned in for a bit. NDSU has a shard of wheat running down the center of their helmets. For shame...nothing to do with Bison.

Just tuned in for a bit. NDSU has a shard of wheat running down the center of their helmets. For shame...nothing to do with Bison.

Nothing pulls in recruits like wheat (or paddle) stickers on helmets. It's an unfair advantage really.

Very equivalent situation....

“...Paying homage to the culture of North Dakota, the NDSU Bison have opted to break out an alternate helmet featuring wheat, one of the top exports from the state of North Dakota...”

Yeah, because there isn't enough consistent football talent in the upper midwest.

At the high levels (Big Ten, etc.) sure. But plenty good enough for MAC level ball, which is essentially what the Dakota schools are at, just in the FCS. They'd all compete very well in the MAC, with 85 schollys.

Plenty of kids get decent education from the Dakotas colleges and get their college partially paid for. Nothing wrong with that.

It is when the Gophers missed on an in state recruit that end up being NFL caliber that is bothersome. But, you never know whether this same kid will develop the same way with the Gophers.

Very equivalent situation....

“...Paying homage to the culture of North Dakota, the NDSU Bison have opted to break out an alternate helmet featuring wheat, one of the top exports from the state of North Dakota...”

We have a historic tie to boats. Not sure how many we export however.

I think we export more chopsticks and processed American cheese.

Plenty of kids get decent education from the Dakotas colleges and get their college partially paid for. Nothing wrong with that.

It is when the Gophers missed on an in state recruit that end up being NFL caliber that is bothersome. But, you never know whether this same kid will develop the same way with the Gophers.

To be fair, some of the reasons why MN "missed" on recruits is because they didnt have the grades (Marcus Williams), they didnt have the measurables yet as a HS sr (vraa) or they weren't fast enough or had the lateral speed at signing time thus weren't offered a full scholarship.

Some of these guys were offered PWO and some were not. If they weren't I can understand the resentment towards MN. However, with the Maroon shirt program Fleck has and his track record in 2 years of rewarding PWO with scholarships, more kids should be enticed to go to the UMN. However if kids still want to go to the Dakotas and play for JV natties, more power too them...bring on Bama, right???

We have a historic tie to boats. Not sure how many we export however.

I think we export more chopsticks and processed American cheese.
Maybe a Velveeta helmet next year?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom