Shooter: $750K Quick Lane Bowl payout is expected to end up costing the U money

per Shooter:

The $750,000 Quick Lane Bowl payout for the Gophers, which includes having to sell tickets, is expected to end up costing the university money.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/08/charley-walters-vikings-badly-need-win-over-seahawks/

Go Gophers!!

I doubt this.
In some ways there might be a direct loss due to travel expenses and other commitments, but as part of the bigger piece of what is the Big Ten Bowl game commitment pie, I'd assume the overall bowl money I assume is very positive.

From an article on the subject written in 2015. Since the money coming in to the Big Ten went up significantly this year pretty sure the article still holds true.

"But the Power Five conference schools (Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC) are swimming in so much bowl cash now that there is practically no financial danger for their schools in accepting bowl bids.

Each year, these conferences set aside a large travel stipend for each school to use to cover bowl expenses. The Big Ten gave the Gophers $1.5 million for the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl in Houston; $1.5 million for the 2013 Texas Bowl, also in Houston; and $2 million for last season’s trip to the Citrus Bowl. The conference pays that full amount whether the schools spend it all or not.

The Big Ten also covers each school’s unsold ticket allotment. That was particularly helpful for the Gophers in Houston. In 2013 the Gophers had $512,515 in unsold tickets — all covered by Santa.

The NCAA makes each bowl team fill out an annual Summary of Postseason Football Institutional Bowl Expenses. The Star Tribune obtained those documents for the Gophers’ past three bowl trips.

When factoring in the Big Ten subsidies (for travel and unsold tickets), here are the bottom lines for the Gophers:

• In 2012, they had $1,668,889 in expenses for the Meineke Car Care Bowl — and still netted $328,741.

• In 2013, they had $1,825,013 in expenses for the Texas Bowl — and still netted $187,013.

• In 2014, they had $1,744,147 in expenses for the Citrus Bowl — and still netted $359,448.

“The Big Ten does some proactive work to make sure [costs are covered],” said Tom McGinnis, the Gophers chief financial officer. “They don’t want people feeling like these bowls are losses for them.”..

http://www.startribune.com/bloated-bowl-season-a-bonus-for-gophers-bank-accounts/363566171/

The Gophers figured out a way to lose money selling beer to football fans, so I suppose it's possible they could figure out a way to go to a bowl game and lose money.

Can the B1G step in and help subsidize the single day trip to the bowl game for us fans? Creative Charter wants $629/pp to go to the game for the one day.

So shooters take is a bunch of sh!t.
Figures.

As always, depends on perspective and how one wants to present the numbers. Without “Santa Claus” money yes it would a money-losing proposition. But in reality whether the revenue comes from paying fans or Santa Delaney the school likely won’t lose a dime thus another disappointing and misleading headline.

This article is essentially a lie, meant to rile people up and get clicks. Would encourage people not to click on it.

Because they have no friggin clue what they're talking about. Bowl money does NOT go to the teams!! I repeat: bowl money DOES NOT go to the teams. Dummies. It goes to the conference. All bowl money for Big Ten teams goes to the Big Ten.

And the Big Ten pools up all the different monies, from everything, and cuts each school a fat check. Minnesota's will, again, be in the neighborhood of $50M from the conference.

I know the answer. Bake sales. The Gopher FB team needs to have a bake sale to pay for the bowl game. If it works for elementary school kids, it can work for college FB players.

I know the answer. Bake sales. The Gopher FB team needs to have a bake sale to pay for the bowl game. If it works for elementary school kids, it can work for college FB players.

Someone tell Fleck they could do some bagging at Cub to get there. Hell, I'd even kickstart a Gophers to Detroit campaign! Okay I wouldn't...

Bottom line: Shooter is worthless.

In my entire life, I've read maybe 2-3 of his columns. Never paid any attention to him. Then I see this and his "report" that the football program lost $3 million, and all I can do is shake my head.

If you can't write (aka a graduate of the Sid Hartman school of journalism) and all you can do is jot down tidbits, you'd think you'd feel a responsibility for making sure your tidbits hold up to the most cursory scrutiny.

What a waste.

JTG

December car washes are always a hit. [emoji16]

Bottom line: Shooter is worthless.

In my entire life, I've read maybe 2-3 of his columns. Never paid any attention to him. Then I see this and his "report" that the football program lost $3 million, and all I can do is shake my head.

If you can't write (aka a graduate of the Sid Hartman school of journalism) and all you can do is jot down tidbits, you'd think you'd feel a responsibility for making sure your tidbits hold up to the most cursory scrutiny.

What a waste.

JTG

Agree, Shooter is just garbage with his notes. I rarely read them outside of the blurbs posted here but I actually looked at one of his columns the other day and couldn't believe just how much incorrect filler he had in there (think it was the day he mentioned some fans being upset about the amount of time it took to leave the ramp after the Gopher/OK State basketball game).

He goes for the clickbait with headlines like the one about losing money on the bowl which will rile up the people who don't understand how bowl payouts work I guess (Shooter may very well be one of those people). Just sad, like you said, when you are only writing little blurbs you should be able to take the time to at least make sure the information in that 1-2 sentences is correct.

Top Bottom