Four-star defensive tackle Rashad Cheney Jr. commits to the Gophers

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

If this sticks it is huge!!!! Nice job by PJ!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is this guy a "3 technique" type of DT as opposed to a nose guard? Or do the Gophers not make that distinction in their defense?

listed weight is 270. with a college strength program, could probably get up closer to 300 - but again, wondering if the Gophers want bigger DL types or slightly smaller and more mobile?

I guess the bottom line is, if you have talent, they'll find a position for you to play. beats the alternative.

Do we know why he decommited from Georgia and Alabama?

On the Georgia board they said they coaches cooled on him. Never heard fans say that before. He decommitted from Georgian and soon accepted the Alabama offer. But I think Bama ended up with some higher end talent and he was encouraged to look around. That's what I read in the innuendos. Take all that with a grain of salt.

Also sounds like he played a lot of defensive end. So its not 100% clear if he's a DT or not.

Bama had to other DT's ranked higher so it might have been a forced flip, but good on PJ to be lined up to pick up him up.

PJ appears to know recruiting.

Good for Cheney too for recognizing the opportunity. It is amazing more highly-rated recruits don’t forego the AL/GA route considering the type of talent they have in those programs that will never even get a look in their 4-yearr without multiple injuries. Stockpiling talent is great for those programs, but it’s terrible for the player.

Good for Cheney too for recognizing the opportunity. It is amazing more highly-rated recruits don’t forego the AL/GA route considering the type of talent they have in those programs that will never even get a look in their 4-yearr without multiple injuries. Stockpiling talent is great for those programs, but it’s terrible for the player.

Excellent choice for Rashad Cheney if he wants to see playing time. Alabama has eleven DLs on their roster. Eight of them are 4-Star and 1 5-Star.

https://247sports.com/Team/Alabama-164/Roster/

I think this may be PJ Fleck's increasingly recruiting angle. He picks unripe fruits from the Alabamas and Georgias, etc... trees.

Last edited:

So is this guy a "3 technique" type of DT as opposed to a nose guard? Or do the Gophers not make that distinction in their defense?

listed weight is 270. with a college strength program, could probably get up closer to 300 - but again, wondering if the Gophers want bigger DL types or slightly smaller and more mobile?

I guess the bottom line is, if you have talent, they'll find a position for you to play. beats the alternative.

Precisely what he is. He's Kevin Williams, not Pat Williams, if that makes sense?

I don't know Rossi's plans, but he may want a space-eater in the middle complemented by a quicker DT next to him. At this point, Chaney appears to project in the quicker "disrupter" position. Great get here at any rate. Fleck is working the Deep South and Texas really hard and it seems to be paying off.

Looks like he was rated really high across the board as a junior, maybe cooled off a bit last summer but obviously still a really good player with a very impressive offer list. Great job PJ. Who knows what happened, maybe he didn’t quite pop enough for Saban his Sr year but have to believe there is still a ton of potential there and still a really good prospect to even be considered by the best defensive staff in the country. He’ll obviously have opportunity to play and build something great under Fleck at MN. Now have to hang onto him.

Rated 82 4 star by ESPN (80 is threshold for 4 star)
87 3 star by 247 (90)
5.7 3 star by Rivals (5.8)

On a side note I’m still a bit confused by the 247 system as the lowest 4 star in their rating system would be a 90 rating (goes from 90-98) yet they have Cheney at .89 composite. Anyone know the cutoff for a 4 on the 247 composite scale - eg .8901?

Do we know why he decommited from Georgia and Alabama?

Would be interesting to know. Maybe he feels that a better path for himself was to find a P5 school on the rise and was willing to give him a chance to play right away? Instead of going to an elite helmet school, wait in line, and maybe not get a shot. Wild guess

Excellent choice for Rashad Cheney if he wants to see playing time. Alabama has eleven DLs on their roster. Eight of them are 4-Star and 1 5-Star.

https://247sports.com/Team/Alabama-164/Roster/

I think this may be PJ Fleck's increasingly recruiting angle. He picks unripe fruits from the Alabamas and Georgias, etc... trees.

But you can't keep promising guys like that instant playing time ... forever. If it all starts working out, eventually you need freshmen to be ... well, freshmen.

Senior season highlights. He'll look good in maroon and gold.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6596460/5b939436578dfe0e44708b6a' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Senior season highlights. He'll look good in maroon and gold.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6596460/5b939436578dfe0e44708b6a' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I always have trouble telling what is going on in HS films. Lots of double teams where he handles it well, other times the OL guy just wifs.... but maybe that's how it plays out when you're good, folks make a lot of mistakes around you.

Outstanding get for Fleck. He looks very quick off the line...moves very good for a big guy. I agree he will get to 300 LBs fairly easily and probably not lose much of that quickness.

I always have trouble telling what is going on in HS films. Lots of double teams where he handles it well, other times the OL guy just wifs.... but maybe that's how it plays out when you're good, folks make a lot of mistakes around you.

I didn't see a lot of whiffs. I saw a big, strong, quick defensive tackle make a lot of opposing linemen look bad.

JTG

Given how well schools like Georgia and Alabama have been recently, if he is good enough to be in the mix for them then odds are pretty good that he will be able to make an impact here. Exciting get, hopefully he signs and lives up to they hype.

But you can't keep promising guys like that instant playing time ... forever. If it all starts working out, eventually you need freshmen to be ... well, freshmen.
I hope we have the problem where PJ has to change his recruiting tactics and he can't pitch early playing time.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Given how well schools like Georgia and Alabama have been recently, if he is good enough to be in the mix for them then odds are pretty good that he will be able to make an impact here. Exciting get, hopefully he signs and lives up to they hype.

Being that Alabama can have d-lineman get sacks on back to back plays and the gophers have one sack all year from a defensive lineman...........well, I guess I'm willing to take a flier on a guy like this(LMAO)

Being that Alabama can have d-lineman get sacks on back to back plays and the gophers have one sack all year from a defensive lineman...........well, I guess I'm willing to take a flier on a guy like this(LMAO)

I think Carter Coughlin is listed as a DE. The last time I checked a DE is part of the defensive line.

I hope we have the problem where PJ has to change his recruiting tactics and he can't pitch early playing time.

What makes you think he’s promising anyone early playing time? I’ll be very surprised if there is a single true freshman that is starting next year.

What makes you think he’s promising anyone early playing time? I’ll be very surprised if there is a single true freshman that is starting next year.
No promises.

Last edited:

I look at him as a blitzing linebacker, but to each their own. I think the gophs list him as a linebacker. The last time I checked, a linebacker is not part of the defensive line.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/263457/

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/mmn/roster/

Not correct. Gophers play a 4 - 3 and if you check the depth chart each week, you'll see CC is listed as an end. That aside, it would be nice to get some sacks from DT, like we got from Haggeman and Richardson.

Not correct. Gophers play a 4 - 3 and if you check the depth chart each week, you'll see CC is listed as an end. That aside, it would be nice to get some sacks from DT, like we got from Haggeman and Richardson.

I think you both are right...listed DE on Depth charts...listed LB on Gophersports Roster.

I think you both are right...listed DE on Depth charts...listed LB on Gophersports Roster.

I get it. They want him to play total linebacker, but have to rush him all the time due to the suck pass rush. That's what I was getting at. He should not be the one and only getting sacks for sure.

You are correct- on the depth chart every week he is a DE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the best days of recruiting for D-line in the last 3 decades. Things are looking up.

I don't think we can say that. Lots of good programs start true freshman, it's not a bad thing

Top Bottom