Four-star defensive tackle Rashad Cheney Jr. commits to the Gophers

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
cheney is a gopher

and the rest of the big 10 is not liking this!

Previously committed to Alabama and Georgia at different times. Huge pick-up!

Previously committed to Alabama and Georgia at different times. Huge pick-up!

I'm a Gopher fan. Part of me expects to see someone eventually say that he was previously committed to Alabama, Georgia and Minnesota.

The Gophers have received a commitment from Ellenwood, Ga. four-star defensive tackle Rashad Cheney Jr.. He chose Minnesota over offers from Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Georgia Tech and others. This addition moves the Gophers' class to No. 34 nationally in the 24/7 Sports composite rankings and No. 8 in the Big Ten.

Cheney Jr. was originally committed to the Georgia, flipped to Alabama and decommitted from from the Tide in October.

Minnesota needed to find additional talent at the defensive tackle position and landing Cheney Jr. instantly fills this need. He is a powerful presence inside and displays fantastic hand usage to fight off blocks. Cheney Jr. plays very hard and has versatility as a run stopper and pass rusher. The other characteristics that are most important is his quickness and overall explosiveness off the snap. He could develop into an extremely versatile weapon within the interior of this defense.

He fits the prototype of an interior defensive tackle within a 4-3 scheme. A crucial aspect of this defensive scheme is to find aggressive, physical and versatile defensive tackles. Cheney Jr. checks all of those boxes and immediately fills a recruiting need. This was a big commitment for P.J. Fleck and his staff to land before early National Signing Day on Dec. 19.

With the addition of Cheney Jr. and defensive back Damarion Williams, the Gophers have now added two talented players at important positions. Williams brings explosiveness and team speed to the secondary, while Cheney Jr. adds talent to an interior looking for physicality.

I'll have more on these additions and what they mean as signing day quickly approaches.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6596460/59dd83b5f326f52a38005622' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Do we know why he decommited from Georgia and Alabama?

Ryan Burns

@RyanBurnsMN
21m21 minutes ago

Cheney had been committed to Alabama and Georgia. Big get for @Coach_Fleck.

Rivals said he was offered by nearly all the SEC schools, North Carolina, Penn State, Louisville etc, etc.

I'm a Gopher fan. Part of me expects to see someone eventually say that he was previously committed to Alabama, Georgia and Minnesota.

Sometimes this happens with people who change their mind frequently.
Hopefully he's at peace with this decision. We can use him.

Awesome! WELCOME TO GOLDEN GOPHER COUNTRY!

Highest rated defensive line recruit to commit to the Gophers in the internet era via Ryan Burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.

Impressive fill and quite the land by PJ and staff.

That guy lives to create chaos for offensive lines and SEC coaches.

Do we know why he decommited from Georgia and Alabama?

Other than the kicker, he was the lowest rated guy in this class for Bama, probably was turned off by the competition he'd have to face to get on the field.

Bama had to other DT's ranked higher so it might have been a forced flip, but good on PJ to be lined up to pick up him up.

PJ appears to know recruiting.

Maybe he has a fondness for anthracite?

The chili is getting warmer. PJ appears to be off to a nice start to the weekend.

Welcome Rashad to a place where you are greatly appreciated!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom