Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

If you aren't selling out a venue almost every game, consistently, for several years in a row, then you absolutely do not move into a bigger venue. There needs to be a true and deep interest and almost a guarantee it won't fade for something like a down season. There needs to be a long waiting list for season tickets and in my very humble opinion, I think there also needs to be the one thing that has eluded the Gopher Volleyball team so far, at least one Natl Title, evidence to the masses of potential band wagon fans that another one is possible, and this aspect may be something specific to the Gopher's situation, being in a state full of band wagon fans that have a lot of options.

Quote Originally Posted by KillmeNow View Post
    then you absolutely do not move into a bigger venue.
    No one said anything about a move. The discussion is about playing in Williams for a few big games.

It's possible the team may want to be on their home court in the big matches most of all!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    It's possible the team may want to be on their home court in the big matches most of all!
    Next door is the same thing as being an away game? Not even close.

Fans matter too. And giving more people a chance to go see the program, is more important than getting the last 0.3% of the home court advantage that the Pav would provide over Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Next door is the same thing as being an away game? Not even close.

Fans matter too. And giving more people a chance to go see the program, is more important than getting the last 0.3% of the home court advantage that the Pav would provide over Williams.
    You accuse me of lying about your statements. I said their home court. Not an away game.

I believe the coaches and the team think that the PAV is their home court. I believe the coaches and the team do not think Williams Arena is their home court.

I believe the coaches and the team do not think Williams Arena is their home court.
    And as I showed in my last post, this is an artificial and arbitrary differentiation that you made out of thin air.

Going, literally, next door, strips away "home court"? Don't be dishonest.

leave it to Minnesota fans to make this into a big debate. Tickets are not that that hard to come by. IMHO there is no need to even think about moving to the other side. If there are so many fans other than the season ticket base, why were so many Nebraska fans able to obtain tickets for the Friday night regional?

And as I showed in my last post, this is an artificial and arbitrary differentiation that you made out of thin air.

Going, literally, next door, strips away "home court"? Don't be dishonest.
    I didn't say it strips away home court. I said it wasn't their home court. Your thickness at times is amazing.

I said it wasn't their home court.
    So you admit that just saying it isn't their home court doesn't prove anything. Then we can be on the same page

So you admit that just saying it isn't their home court doesn't prove anything. Then we can be on the same page
    lol-let's be on the same page
    Last edited by Tucker; 12-26-2018 at 11:56 AM.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...19-roster.aspx

The official announcement:

University of Minnesota volleyball head coach Hugh McCutcheon has announced two additions to the 2019 roster. Kylie Miller (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.) will join the Gophers later this month, while Airi Miyabe (Osaka, Japan) is set to begin her Minnesota career in the fall of 2019.

Miller, a 5-foot, 11-inch setter, joins the Gopher program after spending three seasons at UCLA. While with the Bruins, Miller played in 179 sets and accumulated 1,278 assists, 34 aces and 211 digs. As a freshman, Miller averaged 5.69 assists per set and 1.87 digs per set in 2016. Last year, she produced 693 assists in 72 sets played. Prior to her time with the Bruins, Miller played for Rancho Cucamonga High School and Forza1 Club team. She was an Under Armour First Team All-American and ranked 11th by PrepVolleyball.com. With Forza1, Miller won four medals at JO's, including three-straight from 2010-2012. She was also a candidate for California Gatorade Player of the Year.

Miyabe, a 6-foot outside hitter, joins the Gopher program after spending two seasons at College of Southern Idaho. In her two years with the Eagles, Miyabe led the team to a 2018 NJCAA championship and a runner-up finish in 2017. In her sophomore season, she averaged 4.28 kills per set, hit .302 and averaged 2.86 digs per set. For her efforts, she was named the 2018 NJCAA Division I Player of the Year and the AVCA Two-Year College Player of the Year, the first ever in school history. Prior to her time at CSI, she was a part of the Japanese National Team from 2015-16, where she competed at the 2015 World Grand Prix. In 2014, she was a part of the Youth National Team, where she was named the Asia MVP. She was also named to Team CORE, a group selected to play with Japan in preparation for the 2020 Olympic team.

I have read that women's volleyball gets 12 scholarships. Is that true? Because the Gophers currently have 20 women on the roster then for next year. Are 8 of them walk-ons? Or do many of the women get academic scholarships? Are there partial scholarships?

Quote Originally Posted by GibsonSG View Post
    I have read that women's volleyball gets 12 scholarships. Is that true? Because the Gophers currently have 20 women on the roster then for next year. Are 8 of them walk-ons? Or do many of the women get academic scholarships? Are there partial scholarships?
    There are 12 scholarships and they are required to be full scholarships.

https://www.ncsasports.org/womens-vo...l/scholarships

How many scholarships do Division 1 volleyball teams get?

Division 1 volleyball teams can offer a maximum of 12 full-ride scholarships. Because D1 volleyball is classified as a headcount sport, every scholarship the coach gives out must be a full ride. Which means all scholarship athletes on a D1 volleyball team have a full ride to that school. The rest of the athletes on the team are considered walk-ons, or athletes who don’t receive any athletic scholarship money to play their sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...19-roster.aspx

The official announcement:

University of Minnesota volleyball head coach Hugh McCutcheon has announced two additions to the 2019 roster. Kylie Miller (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.) will join the Gophers later this month, while Airi Miyabe (Osaka, Japan) is set to begin her Minnesota career in the fall of 2019.

Miller, a 5-foot, 11-inch setter, joins the Gopher program after spending three seasons at UCLA. While with the Bruins, Miller played in 179 sets and accumulated 1,278 assists, 34 aces and 211 digs. As a freshman, Miller averaged 5.69 assists per set and 1.87 digs per set in 2016. Last year, she produced 693 assists in 72 sets played. Prior to her time with the Bruins, Miller played for Rancho Cucamonga High School and Forza1 Club team. She was an Under Armour First Team All-American and ranked 11th by PrepVolleyball.com. With Forza1, Miller won four medals at JO's, including three-straight from 2010-2012. She was also a candidate for California Gatorade Player of the Year.

Miyabe, a 6-foot outside hitter, joins the Gopher program after spending two seasons at College of Southern Idaho. In her two years with the Eagles, Miyabe led the team to a 2018 NJCAA championship and a runner-up finish in 2017. In her sophomore season, she averaged 4.28 kills per set, hit .302 and averaged 2.86 digs per set. For her efforts, she was named the 2018 NJCAA Division I Player of the Year and the AVCA Two-Year College Player of the Year, the first ever in school history. Prior to her time at CSI, she was a part of the Japanese National Team from 2015-16, where she competed at the 2015 World Grand Prix. In 2014, she was a part of the Youth National Team, where she was named the Asia MVP. She was also named to Team CORE, a group selected to play with Japan in preparation for the 2020 Olympic team.
    A 6’ Japanese woman is a rarity. Supposed to be a great player with serious hops. Hopefully she has a killer serve. We need someone to put stress on the opponents serve receive.

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    A 6’ Japanese woman is a rarity. Supposed to be a great player with serious hops. Hopefully she has a killer serve. We need someone to put stress on the opponents serve receive.
    Looking at her picture, I am assuming she's the daughter of an American soldier, much like one of my favorite tennis players, Naomi Osaka.

Miyabe.jpg
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher