Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

the bright spot in all of this insanity has been regan pittman...IMO. the versatility she has shown is something that i never thought i'd see from her when she came in as a freshman. setting, playing decent back row d when serving, blocking on the outside in certain rotations, all while putting up huge offensive numbers. she's really grown and matured as a player. 30 kills, .612 hitting %, 4 assists, 8 digs, 9 blocks and a service ace the last two matches when most everything else has been a bit of a cluster.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volley...volleyball-rpi

The first NCAA RPI rankings (thru matches of October 6)

1. Baylor
    2. Texas
    3. Stanford
    4. Washington
    5. Pittsburgh
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Nebraska

8. Kentucky
    9. Rice
    10. Missouri

Other B1G teams:

11. Minnesota
    19. Penn State
    22. Illinois
    29. Purdue
    36. Michigan
    39. Indiana

The NCAA Nitty-Gritty:

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi...tty_100719.pdf
    Last edited by Ignatius L Hoops; 10-07-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added NCAA Nitty-Gritty

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volley...volleyball-rpi

The first NCAA RPI rankings (thru matches of October 6)

1. Baylor
    2. Texas
    3. Stanford
    4. Washington
    5. Pittsburgh
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Nebraska

8. Kentucky
    9. Rice
    10. Missouri

Other B1G teams:

11. Minnesota
    19. Penn State
    22. Illinois
    29. Purdue
    36. Michigan
    39. Indiana
    Who has Nebraska played that is that strong. Stanford and Wisconsin, or course. Otherwise I thought their early schedule looked pretty weak (I obviously could look it up and find the opposite to be true).

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    Who has Nebraska played that is that strong. Stanford and Wisconsin, or course. Otherwise I thought their early schedule looked pretty weak (I obviously could look it up and find the opposite to be true).
    Well, I'm a little too lazy to look up the details too, but I think perhaps you're onto something with your point. I think that, since Nebraska and Wisconsin played each other early (as in, before now) they mutually boosted each other's RPI via each giving themselves a higher Strength of Schedule. We don't play Nebraska til later in the season, so if we're fortunate enough to have a healthy team then, then we have a good chance of beating them, and thus giving ourselves a double-boost in RPI (one via stronger SoS and also the (potential) win). Wisconsin is this weekend, however, and the potential of lingering injuries makes Wisconsin a bit scary for us at the moment. If we can buckle-down and beat Wisconsin (and later beat Nebraska) then we get a double-bump in RPI and leapfrog them both in RPI standings.

But I'm less concerned about RPI (which is rather meaningless, as more of a measure of {how and who} your opponents play than a measure of how you play, and more concerned about the Gophs getting healthy by NCAA-time.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 10-07-2019 at 03:49 PM.

"The Gophs getting healthy by NCAA time" is what seems most worrisome. If concussion really is the problem, that's serious stuff. The most pleasing thing of all would be beating teams like WI, Nebr, & PSU even without the 2 injured players. Not likely, but a chance for Hugh to find a way, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by junc1929 View Post
    the bright spot in all of this insanity has been regan pittman...IMO. the versatility she has shown is something that i never thought i'd see from her when she came in as a freshman. setting, playing decent back row d when serving, blocking on the outside in certain rotations, all while putting up huge offensive numbers. she's really grown and matured as a player. 30 kills, .612 hitting %, 4 assists, 8 digs, 9 blocks and a service ace the last two matches when most everything else has been a bit of a cluster.
    Yeah, a *BIG* second on that thought. We expected her to learn from watching the play of the twins and others, but one can legitimately argue that Regs has upped her play way beyond what anybody could reasonably expect of a middle blocker (who are expected to be role players, not totally fearless team leaders - which is how she looks lately). Not sure if our expectations were just too low or if she's just working so hard on improving her game that she was destined to get this good sooner or later. Either way, we'll take it, and it's really fun to watch.

I earlier argued (half-jokingly, which was really 2/3 jokingly in hindsight) that she should win all 3 weekly B1G player of the week awards. Well OK, the joke was that 4 assists is not the Setter of the Week, and 8 digs plus 9 blocks is not the Defensive Player of the Week. But with regard to Player of the Week (for last week), she got ripped off by the B1G actually. She certainly deserved PoW. She had 2 more kills and a lot higher hitting % than Samedy when she won it the week before (not to take anything away from Stephanie's accomplishment, but just sayin). Instead, the Big Ten refrained from awarding a separate Player of the Week for last week. I guess they were sufficiently impressed by the setting of Badger Sydney Hilley that they awarded her both Setter of the Week and Player of the Week - joint honors.

OK, well such is life. But (in case the Gophers don't have enough border-rivalry motivation already), I hope that the fact that the Badgers stole Pittman's PoW award out from under her makes the whole VB squad want to just tromp on the CheeseHeads this weekend.

Neb. has played Ill., Wisc., Stanford, Creighton #18 and San Diego #25.

Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    Yeah, a *BIG* second on that thought. We expected her to learn from watching the play of the twins and others, but one can legitimately argue that Regs has upped her play way beyond what anybody could reasonably expect of a middle blocker (who are expected to be role players, not totally fearless team leaders - which is how she looks lately). Not sure if our expectations were just too low or if she's just working so hard on improving her game that she was destined to get this good sooner or later. Either way, we'll take it, and it's really fun to watch.

I earlier argued (half-jokingly, which was really 2/3 jokingly in hindsight) that she should win all 3 weekly B1G player of the week awards. Well OK, the joke was that 4 assists is not the Setter of the Week, and 8 digs plus 9 blocks is not the Defensive Player of the Week. But with regard to Player of the Week (for last week), she got ripped off by the B1G actually. She certainly deserved PoW. She had 2 more kills and a lot higher hitting % than Samedy when she won it the week before (not to take anything away from Stephanie's accomplishment, but just sayin). Instead, the Big Ten refrained from awarding a separate Player of the Week for last week. I guess they were sufficiently impressed by the setting of Badger Sydney Hilley that they awarded her both Setter of the Week and Player of the Week - joint honors.

OK, well such is life. But (in case the Gophers don't have enough border-rivalry motivation already), I hope that the fact that the Badgers stole Pittman's PoW award out from under her makes the whole VB squad want to just tromp on the CheeseHeads this weekend.
    My impression has been that these weekly awards often depend on what teams you played (and presumably beat). If so, last week Wisconsin beat Penn State and Nebraska, and the Gophers beat Iowa and Rutgers.

Quote Originally Posted by let'sbeclear View Post
    My impression has been that these weekly awards often depend on what teams you played (and presumably beat). If so, last week Wisconsin beat Penn State and Nebraska, and the Gophers beat Iowa and Rutgers.
    Good point. All the more reason for the Gophers to work hard and beat the Badgers.

Have we heard what the injuries are to Kylie and CC? I noticed CC on the bench the other day, but didn’t catch sight of Kylie.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...a-rollins.aspx

Spotlight on Adanna Rollins:

Now in her second season with the Gophers, Rollins is embracing a new role within the team.

"I feel like I have more of a leadership role just because I can help the freshman out because I went through the same things they went through so it feels more comfortable," Rollins said.
    Having already experienced a college volleyball season made the transition into her second year easier. She also had the help of the upperclassmen, who Rollins says helped her grow as a person.

Various opportunities over the offseason furthered Rollins' growth, including the Gopher volleyball team's trip to Japan in March. They played against the All-Japan Team that competed at the World University Games. Rollins says that the Japanese players had great skills and a different style of play, which allowed the Gophers to improve their play as well.

Regardless of what happens the rest of this match with Illinois, that second set collapse was one of the most pathetic displays of focus and execution I have seen in recent memory. Horrendous. This team seems to relish getting in it's own way.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    Regardless of what happens the rest of this match with Illinois, that second set collapse was one of the most pathetic displays of focus and execution I have seen in recent memory. Horrendous. This team seems to relish getting in it's own way.

Was following along on play-by-play on VB web site. Scary. MN had set point at 24-17. It went all the way to 29-27. Took 2 timeouts by Hugh.

Making things worse to follow along with, the web page had the scores wrong (reversed) on the play-by-play, although correct at top of page.

Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    Was following along on play-by-play on VB web site. Scary. MN had set point at 24-17. It went all the way to 29-27. Took 2 timeouts by Hugh.

Making things worse to follow along with, the web page had the scores wrong (reversed) on the play-by-play, although correct at top of page.
    And then they followed with a hideous third set in which Illinois made them look totally silly. This group really lacks in all phases for long stretches.