Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    What a night in Iowa City. Minnesota takes the last three sets to win -18, 21, 18, 25. The Gophers played without Miller and McGraw (undisclosed injury). Plus, after Hart fired a couple of shots out of bounds early in the first set, she went to the bench and in came Sheehan. Hart did not return. And not only did we see the setter switch with Huseman, Hugh kept Mcmenimen on the bench for extended periods. The Gophers needed the blocking to shut down the Hawkeye attack. The Gopher blocking from the makeshift lineup made the difference.

So we finally got to see Pittman as a go to setter. It was fun. Regan had fantastic night: 16 kills (hitting .640) with 3 assists. It was excellent work on the front line with Samedy with 14 kills, Morgan, 16 and Rollins, 14. And a good and necessary night of coaching.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Wishing Miller & McGraw quick recoveries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    "The significant problems we face can not be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    What a night in Iowa City. Minnesota takes the last three sets to win -18, 21, 18, 25. The Gophers played without Miller and McGraw (undisclosed injury). Plus, after Hart fired a couple of shots out of bounds early in the first set, she went to the bench and in came Sheehan. Hart did not return. And not only did we see the setter switch with Huseman, Hugh kept Mcmenimen on the bench for extended periods. The Gophers needed the blocking to shut down the Hawkeye attack. The Gopher blocking from the makeshift lineup made the difference.

So we finally got to see Pittman as a go to setter. It was fun. Regan had fantastic night: 16 kills (hitting .640) with 3 assists. It was excellent work on the front line with Samedy with 14 kills, Morgan, 16 and Rollins, 14. And a good and necessary night of coaching.
    A very gutsy match by the Gophers! They even came back in the fourth from down 18-22, avoiding one of those who-knows-what's-going-to-happen-on-the-road fifth sets. One minor correction: the fourth set was 30-28.
    Last edited by let'sbeclear; 10-02-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Solid win for the Badgers tonight. I thought Penn St would be too tough, but Wisconsin got hot at home and rolled them.

This may have already been addressed, but can anyone tell me why Alexis Hart seems to be on the outside looking in this year? I'm surprised by that...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    Solid win for the Badgers tonight. I thought Penn St would be too tough, but Wisconsin got hot at home and rolled them.

This may have already been addressed, but can anyone tell me why Alexis Hart seems to be on the outside looking in this year? I'm surprised by that...
    I'm not sure what you mean, other than tonight. Hart had 3.02 kills per set last year, and has 3.19 kills per set this year. Two years ago she did serve and receive serve, but I thought Rollins took over that role last year.
    Last edited by let'sbeclear; 10-02-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by let'sbeclear View Post
    One minor correction: the fourth set was 30-28.
    Thanks for the catch. Perhaps I was trying to wipe clean the memory of all those Hawkeye set points.

The box score of the MN/Iowa VB match, showed the total attendance was only 181. Kinda shocking, to me anyway; Iowa had a possible upset in the making but nobody there to see it. What else is there to do in Iowa City on a Wednesday night in October?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    The box score of the MN/Iowa VB match, showed the total attendance was only 181. Kinda shocking, to me anyway; Iowa had a possible upset in the making but nobody there to see it. What else is there to do in Iowa City on a Wednesday night in October?
    Probably free admission for students too.

They only care about corn and football, in Iowa during the fall.

Wild speculating here (which really won't be much): Miller and now McGraw had to see doctors for something, and the docs told them to sit out. You can't comment on medical conditions, that's confidential information between patient and doctor.

If it's just the training staff, those aren't doctors. When it gets bad enough that you need to upgrade treatment to seeing the team doctor, that's different.

Could be a non-contagious illness. Could be something physical. No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by let'sbeclear View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean, other than tonight. Hart had 3.02 kills per set last year, and has 3.19 kills per set this year. Two years ago she did serve and receive serve, but I thought Rollins took over that role last year.
    I didn't think I saw her last night, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. My wife got home and started talking and so I only half watched the game.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

I didn't think I saw her last night, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. My wife got home and started talking and so I only half watched the game.
    No, no, no. You were absolutely right about last night. She came out of the game in the first set and remained on the bench for the remember of the match. That certainly was unusual, to say the least.

I watched the entire replay (I was honestly hooked and could not turn it off) and it was correct as reported, Hart only had a couple weak hits in set 1, most of which went out of bounds, then she sat out the rest of the game per coach’s decision.

Either that was a gutsy choice by Hugh to really, really give some second-unit players a chance to shine (which they did, ultimately). Or else (and this too is entirely speculation) Hart was also under the weather with some medical condition, but not so bad that she couldn’t start, yet when her play showed that she was half her normal self, Hugh figured he’d give her a rest. In any event, tremendous confidence in the bench by Hugh. As the commentator pointed out, the Gopher practice regimen gets all the players in the mix all the time, so not such a surprise that (for instance) backup setters did so well.

That last set was really scary. Other than the final 30-28 win plus one other, all the set points were Iowa ones. Gophers were making service errors on deuces, it looked like they were going down, but they toughed it out.

I will (only half jokingly) nominate Pittman for this week’s PoW and Defensive PoW and Setter of the Week. Til now, I had no clue that (if needs be) she could set. Truly (as noted earlier) it was Hugh’s decision to selectively go setterless so as to keep the blockers in the game, that enabled this win (with 3 starters on the bench). Proving that good coaching, not just good players, is critical in volleyball.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 10-03-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    I watched the entire replay (I was honestly hooked and could not turn it off) and it was correct as reported, Hart only had a couple weak hits in set 1, most of which went out of bounds, then she sat out the rest of the game per coach’s decision.

Either that was a gutsy choice by Hugh to really, really give some second-unit players a chance to shine (which they did, ultimately). Or else (and this too is entirely speculation) Hart was also under the weather with some medical condition, but not so bad that she couldn’t start, yet when her play showed that she was half her normal self, Hugh figured he’d give her a rest. In any event, tremendous confidence in the bench by Hugh. As the commentator pointed out, the Gopher practice regimen gets all the players in the mix all the time, so not such a surprise that (for instance) backup setters did so well.

That last set was really scary. Other than the final 30-28 win plus one other, all the set points were Iowa ones. Gophers were making service errors on deuces, it looked like they were going down, but they toughed it out.

I will (only half jokingly) nominate Pittman for this week’s PoW and Defensive PoW and Setter of the Week. Til now, I had no clue that (if needs be) she could set. Truly (as noted earlier) it was Hugh’s decision to selectively go setterless so as to keep the blockers in the game, that enabled this win (with 3 starters on the bench). Proving that good coaching, not just good players, is critical in volleyball.
    Thanks, these are VERY good analyses, which really help a VB novice like me. I search the web all over for incisive analysis of VB games but find hardly any. You're right: the 3rd set was scary. Just when it looked like MN had worn Iowa down, MN seemed to start just pushing the ball over the net, like Gophers were the tired team and they were praying Iowa would miss (which Iowa finally did on that late service error). While there's much to admire about the Gophers, their modus operandi seems to be, get ahead and then let up, just when a touch of killer instinct would put the match out of reach.

[I deleted my incorrect comment responding to Ignatius's post.]
    Last edited by let'sbeclear; 10-03-2019 at 06:11 PM.

[I deleted my incorrect "correction" of my incorrect response.]
    Last edited by let'sbeclear; 10-03-2019 at 06:09 PM.

[Ditto.]
    Last edited by let'sbeclear; 10-03-2019 at 06:09 PM.